Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Motion Ratio?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2005, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motion Ratio?

Does anyone know the motion ratio for the front and rear suspensions on the Evo? I can measure it, but if someone already has this would be great.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ratio's

I believe they are .65F and .615R. I have them written down at home. I'll double-check this evening.

Joe
Old Jan 28, 2005, 06:47 AM
ACM
Evolving Member

Strut suspension is ordinarily pretty close to 1:1. I would expect the Evo front to follow that convention. I have no idea of the rear though.

.6* is quite high (or low, depending :-) Even the 2G's SLA front suspension doesn't get into the 6s.

Charles
Old Jan 28, 2005, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Yep

Just double-checked my notes. .650 front, .615 rear. These measurements were taken from my '03 by Chris ***.

Joe
Old Jan 28, 2005, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Joe250
Just double-checked my notes. .650 front, .615 rear. These measurements were taken from my '03 by Chris ***.

Joe
I would question the front number. Mine measured very close to 1 as expected with a near vertical strut. The rear sounds right - depends on which point in the travel range.

Eric
Old Jan 28, 2005, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Hmmmm...

Eric,

Thanks for chiming in. Now that you mention it, the front # does sound low. I'll look at the calculations in my notes. I know its possible he miscalculated, but Chris knows his stuff. More likely a mistake I've made.

Also, we pulled the springs out of the car when we took the measurements so IIRC we had the suspension in about the middle of its travel.

Joe
Old Jan 29, 2005, 05:54 AM
ACM
Evolving Member

A typical strut still won't get into the 6s, anywhere in its travel. It's going to hover around 1:1 for the full travel.

Charles
Old Feb 1, 2005, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks

The distance from the center of the contact patch to the point where the strut is attached will also change the ratio. AKA if it was at the inboard pivot point the motion ratio would be 0.

Could what Chris calculated be the wheel rate which is the motion ratio squared.

That would make the motion ratio .806 front and .784 rear?

Joe, do you have the initial measurements (tire and spring)?
Old Jan 22, 2007, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Bringing this one back from the dead. Does anyone know for sure what the motion ratios are for the stock suspension on an 8? How does wheels with a 33 offset effect the motion ratios?
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bracer
The distance from the center of the contact patch to the point where the strut is attached will also change the ratio. AKA if it was at the inboard pivot point the motion ratio would be 0.
not entirely correct. if the strut is at an angle relative the vertical motion of the wheel, the ratios change. even so, the motion ratio should still be 1:1 (or just 1), not 0. a motion ratio of zero would imply that something doesn't move.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:40 AM

Yea if I understand the front suspension correctly on and Evo, they do not have an upper a-arm, therefore the strut is going to be very close to vertical. You should have a MR less than 1:1, but just slightly.

I use the attached method for MacPhearson struts.
Attached Thumbnails Motion Ratio?-mr.gif  
Old Jan 25, 2007, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

That makes sense. Has anyone taken any measurements on the rears?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I recently bought a set of Ohlins DFV and contacted the company to make sure that the spring go in the order of 8/10 as i read in the forum. However their response was much differentthan what i expected.

Hello,And thanks for your message.We recommend the 100N in the front and 80N in the rear.The Motion Ratio of the Car is nearly the same front and rear.You have more weight in the Front so to have a solid balancedBase I would go this way.I guess that some people change the Springs to change the Balance to oversteering.Because it´s an 4x4 with some weight in the front axle. This cars are normallymore in the understeering way.

So my question is, what is the motion ratio front and rear. Do most users install it in the "wrong" way? Is the company (Ohlins) ignorant in regards to the product it sells? Is it something different?. I am really confused.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 03:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Front is around 0.91 and rear is around 0.73 though both change a bit with ride height (both) and camber settings (front). Their description of course shows the resellers dont really know the Evo and that we arent MacStrut front/rear like most the subies.

When doing the math, you use MR^2 which puts the multiplier at .83 and .53 F/R which has a massive effect on the actual wheel rate. 8k front, 10k rear is the proper way to go. Ohlin just cant seem to accept they made up rates back in 2002 on wrong information but it doesnt seem to matter cause in my mind they got lucky that it works out well in valving to just flip the springs.
The following users liked this post:
Nicolas (Mar 4, 2019)
Old Mar 5, 2019, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Ohlins developed their kit for the evo on the evo x platform and then just adapted the springs a bit for the earlier models. I had some fights with their representatives allready on another forum and indeed they do not accept their mistake... Ideally on a road car I would run 8/9 but 8/10 will work, even with stock ARB in the rear.. You need to add a bit of preload on the front springs when you go 8/10 or you will have too much sag on the front..
The following users liked this post:
Nicolas (Mar 5, 2019)

Quick Reply: Motion Ratio?