Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Fastest on the track: Evo VIII or Elise?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elise + K24 + Turbo + Carbon = My Dream
Old Sep 16, 2005, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or a new Exige
Old Sep 16, 2005, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

Now that the 2006 Elise has a limited slip diff and traction control, i can say with even more confidence: Elise is a better track car in the same conditions, with the same driver.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 05:21 AM
Evolving Member

It depends on the track. What if they raced here?

Old Sep 18, 2005, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evotino
It depends on the track. What if they raced here?

Old Sep 18, 2005, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

I have seen a 1500 lb. racing Elise at the track.

The new Exige will have the same 190 hp Toyota motor in the USA. Lotus needs to bring over the Exige 240R supercharged version. The Elise is lightweight, but short on hp and all the power is from 6000 rpm to the redline.
Old Sep 18, 2005, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

I would almost venture to say most of you have it backwards. Wouldnt the screaming top end and lack of torque make the elise more at home where it can be wrapped out? I think the EVO would have the better shot on a smaller course, where it can excelerate sooner and harder out of the corners.
Old Sep 18, 2005, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

ok... a carbon fiber machine vs a metal machine... the evo has more power... but the elise is lighter... so ima guess the elise although the evo can have easier handling... i dont know.
Old Sep 18, 2005, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

the evo may have more power, but the power to weight ratio is definetly in the elise's favor. i think we can all agree either one would make a fine track tool
Old Sep 19, 2005, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

i didn't read all of the replies.....but.....some magazine racing is always good.

I can't remember what magazine it was but I have a photo copy of a page "barber motorsports park" was the course.

lap times

- 1:48.2 for the Evo RS
- 1:46.9 for the elise
- 1:50.8 for the S2000
- 1:44.1 for the GT3 Porsche.

i think the article is from Automobile..... there is obviously some room for error but this shows the elise about 1.3 seconds per lap faster....that is a decent amount.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
It also depends on how long of a race. Or are we talking about a time attack style of race here? I would think the Elise would kill the Evo over a long race because of it's lighter weight being easier on tires and brakes.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Stock for Stock I would give it to the Elise. But who owns an Evo that will stay 100% stock. Most Lotus guys will keep the Elise stock. That's where the Evo has the advantage.

Stock the Elise is fast, and weights nothing. A stock Evo will struggle to keep up, power and handling wise.

That said, I have ran faster times than stock Elises consistantly, and the Elises were on race rubber, where my car has always been on stock Advans. My car has the usual 3 inch exhaust, intake, cams, boost control and a reflash. Makes around 300hp to the wheels. I've got Hotchkis springs and a rear swaybar. Put in some good brake fluid and you're ready to go whoop Lotus @ss.

The Evo is super easy to add 50-100 whp. That gives you the speed over the Elise. Add a rear swaybar, and some minor suspension (springs) or coilovers and the Lotus is dust.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 01:49 PM

Here's my experience on the track:

I'm an instructor with a driving group in Texas and recently spent a weekend at Motorsports Ranch (1.7 mile roadcourse; technical, off-camber, elevation changes etc.) Another friend/instructor has an elise-slightly modded/lightened and I was in my 03 EVO. Buddy Club coilovers, Dunlop SSR tires, turbo-back exhaust. We had the best weekend battling session after session. We were essentially dead even each session. He would pull me in some spots and I'd get him in others. Brakes are the biggest weakness in the EVO whereas the Elise has no issues. I've upgraded pads, rotors, brake lines and fluid and I still get severe fade once they get very hot. Currently running the Carbotech track pads.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evocoupe
Here's my experience on the track:

I'm an instructor with a driving group in Texas and recently spent a weekend at Motorsports Ranch (1.7 mile roadcourse; technical, off-camber, elevation changes etc.) Another friend/instructor has an elise-slightly modded/lightened and I was in my 03 EVO. Buddy Club coilovers, Dunlop SSR tires, turbo-back exhaust. We had the best weekend battling session after session. We were essentially dead even each session. He would pull me in some spots and I'd get him in others. Brakes are the biggest weakness in the EVO whereas the Elise has no issues. I've upgraded pads, rotors, brake lines and fluid and I still get severe fade once they get very hot. Currently running the Carbotech track pads.
Your '03 EVO does not have the helical front differential that comes on all '05 models and the '04 RS. That makes a difference in handling and helps keep the car from pushing in the corners. If you were that dead even in with the Elise, that one difference might be enough to get you a second faster around the course.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 07:35 AM

I'd actually prefer stronger brakes with some venting over the LSD. My BMW mcoupe with stock, single piston brakes and essentially the same mass to slow, stops much more predictably on the track. I've warped my stock rotors on the EVO, cracked my Baer two piece rotors and now on my third set of fronts.