Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Shocks For Autocross

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2005, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where were the Evos at the Nationals in Topeka this year?
Old Oct 24, 2005, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

I'm currently planning on attempting to campaign a fully prepped AS Evo next year (my wallet isn't big enough to play any higher), but the only option I have found in all my research for AS legal struts are the Ralliart Sport Suspension package. Unfortunatly, I have not been able to get any detailed info regarding the shock itself in spite of constant inquiries. Still trying though.

If anyone finds anything else, please let me know.

Devin
Old Oct 24, 2005, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

How about this:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...9&postcount=29
Old Oct 24, 2005, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Slowride
that's $1500 for the bilsteins (from gruppe-s, you might be able to buy used for cheaper)
then add $700 a corner (x4) for the conversion.

It's cheaper to buy the Ohlins R&T and be done with it.

But if you really really want to run AS, these are the struts for you.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Slowride
Interesting, I never saw that post from Dennis. In order to use Bilstein struts/ shocks under the update/backdate allowance, you would need to convert your Evo to the MR package (including the 6-speed). If you already have an MR, ATI could certainly help with some legal adjustable versions.

Koni also makes some really nice custom double adjustable versions based off the Evo factory KYB struts/ shocks. They are A-Stock legal with a price of $2200-2400.

Dave
Old Oct 24, 2005, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Solo Evo
I'm currently planning on attempting to campaign a fully prepped AS Evo next year (my wallet isn't big enough to play any higher), but the only option I have found in all my research for AS legal struts are the Ralliart Sport Suspension package. Unfortunatly, I have not been able to get any detailed info regarding the shock itself in spite of constant inquiries. Still trying though.

Devin
If AS is your thing, then expect to go through R tires prematurely. I went through 3 1/2 sets in one summer (not including Nationals) and at $800-900 a set including mounting/balancing, it's not cheap. You will cord the outside edges because of the Evo's camber limited front suspension.

In STU, I ran 1 set at $700 the entire season and then purchased a shaved set for Nationals. I'll use the second set for half of next season. Just an FYI and good luck.

Dave
Old Oct 24, 2005, 06:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Silencer
If AS is your thing, then expect to go through R tires prematurely. I went through 3 1/2 sets in one summer (not including Nationals) and at $800-900 a set including mounting/balancing, it's not cheap. You will cord the outside edges because of the Evo's camber limited front suspension.

In STU, I ran 1 set at $700 the entire season and then purchased a shaved set for Nationals. I'll use the second set for half of next season. Just an FYI and good luck.

Dave
Exactly, you'll spend a fortune on expensive tires that can't last within the Stock class rules Not much bang for your buck in AS...
Old Oct 24, 2005, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

When I was running the Hoosier S03 in G-Stock on a CRX, the tires were done after 24 runs, and not worth taking to a big event (divisional or national) after 16 runs.

Comes out to about $28 per run for a stock class car. Crazy.. yes, but the close competition of the stock classes causes you to run for every advantage you can get.

Jon K
www.seat-time.com
Old Oct 24, 2005, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by racerjon1
When I was running the Hoosier S03 in G-Stock on a CRX, the tires were done after 24 runs, and not worth taking to a big event (divisional or national) after 16 runs.

Comes out to about $28 per run for a stock class car. Crazy.. yes, but the close competition of the stock classes causes you to run for every advantage you can get.

Jon K
www.seat-time.com
Ain't that the truth!

Dave
Old Oct 24, 2005, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

Not so much. I had a set of shaved RA-1s last me a half year of racing 2 times a month. They do cord the outside edges prematurely, but that's where flipping a tire on it's rim comes into play. I plan on using RA-1s for all local events, and the set of 710's for all divisional/tour events.

Perhaps, Silencer, you were just overdriving the crap out of the tires. Anyway, I have already been running the Evo for half a year now on R-comps, I was just getting ready to step it up for next season.

Thanks for the link to the rebuilt MR Bilsteins, btw. That seems a little out of my cash league though when you factor in the initial cost of actually buying the Bilsteins.

If anyone has anymore, please let me know.

Devin
Old Oct 24, 2005, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Not so much. I had a set of shaved RA-1s last me a half year of racing 2 times a month. They do cord the outside edges prematurely, but that's where flipping a tire on it's rim comes into play. I plan on using RA-1s for all local events, and the set of 710's for all divisional/tour events.

Perhaps, Silencer, you were just overdriving the crap out of the tires. Anyway, I have already been running the Evo for half a year now on R-comps, I was just getting ready to step it up for next season.

Thanks for the link to the rebuilt MR Bilsteins, btw. That seems a little out of my cash league though when you factor in the initial cost of actually buying the Bilsteins.

If anyone has anymore, please let me know.

Devin
Actually, I flipped every set and raced every weekend from April until September in 2004. The best performance gain is seat time. I was far from "overdriving" the car. It is a cost that most drivers with camber limited cars deal with. Also, the more abrasive concrete events tend to expedite the cording. Tire choice was Hoosier A3S04 245/40/17.

Let us know how you do.

Dave
Old Oct 24, 2005, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chronohunter
AFAIK you can't run the Ohlins with stock struts, you have to go with the ultra-high dollar Koni inserts They cost more than the Ohlins and you of course are limited to stock springs so they don't handle or ride as well as the Ohlins I recommend going up a class! Your car and wallet will be happier...
Just curious, do you know why the Ohlins won't work for Stock class? Are the stock springs a different size than whatever comes on them? Are the top hats too difficult to fit onto them?

The rules for stock don't say that you have to use the stock strut assemblies. There's a guy in Cali that can get you an A Stock legal JRZ setup.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Devin
Check this out:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...&highlight=jrz
Old Oct 24, 2005, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Threaded struts = no no. That's what makes it so hard to find some.

Unless later in the thread they specify that they are going to make a fixed perch version that I did not see.

Devin
Old Oct 24, 2005, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Threaded struts = no no. That's what makes it so hard to find some.

Unless later in the thread they specify that they are going to make a fixed perch version that I did not see.

Devin
Doesn't this say that threaded struts could be used as long as the lower perch is set to the same height relative to the stock unit?

Section 13.5 Shosk Absorbers
of the 2005 rules:
3. Adjustable spring perches are allowed, but the spring loadbearing
surface must be in the same location relative to the
shock mounting points as on the standard part. Shims may be
used to achieve compliance.

A guy in my region silconed his perches in place to show his competitors that the ride height has not changed. He's been to Topeka the last two years in an S2K. No protests.

Quick Reply: Shocks For Autocross