Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Mitsubishi pulling out of FIA WRC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2005, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This can only be bad for the future of the EVO.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This sucks I was really looking forward to the next sezon, especially that the car finally was getting together and was not breaking as often through the rallies. I'm preaty sure something will have to happen with the rules of WRC because running only 2 teams will not have the same effect. Something similar happened in Poland few years back, running WRC car was so expensive that they decided to run Grupe N and no WRC class cars were allowed. I would not be suprised if something similar will happen here.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by solo2racer
This is ridiculous. FIA has gotten crazy with rule changes and now most of the factory teams have pulled out. WRC is going to be getting boring now. There are going to be a lot of top level drivers without a ride in 2006, unless they all run privateer cars.

Given the rules changes, even that may be difficult. There are restrictions on how successful a driver has been in the past few years of racing that will prevent them from running certain cars in certain classes.

As frustrating as this is for rally fans, the FIA and the Manufacturers have done this to themselves. Look at Ferrari in F1. Their 2004 disclosed budget was $500 million, I believe. Each year gets more expensive, and each year teams struggle to commit larger resources to keep their team current. The same holds true for WRC. Look how successful Citroen was the past two years, and they are pulling out! Teams like Skoda and Hyundai can barely afford to spend, ditto for a re-structuring Mitsubishi. They would much rather sell cars and make money that entertain a segment of racing fans. Harsh but true.

It will be an interesting year for world rally, if just for the drama, let alone the shake up in drivers/teams/strategies.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Simply depressing.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by speedomodel
Simply depressing.
Took the words out of my mouth...Im gutted.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 03:49 PM

i was undecided if I wanted to keep speed channel ( aka nascar nation), this really did it for me time to call time-warner cable kill it... seriously...
Old Dec 14, 2005, 04:00 PM

This almost made me change my mind about buying an EVO. I want to see my car race in top level motorsports. Always a Mitsubishi fan since Makinnen. They cut a lot of costs out of WRC cars this year. No active differentials and they did something with the transmissions. The engines were cut down for what kind of sensors they could use. Mitsubishi IIRC had run all year to 2006 specs so there car should have been ready for the new year. Maybe they feel like Jaguar when they pulled out of F1, we are going to lay off a lot of people and having a racing team doesn't look good. Anyway severely bummed. It will also cut in half my Speedvision viewing. Only F1 basically now.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by prostcj
This can only be bad for the future of the EVO.
Doubtful. Out of all the cars Mitsu produces the Evo is the only car anyone cares about.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

the speed channel .. you meant the nascar channel right? and why do you think their (speed channel) coverage is so limited now days.. because the wrc is going down the toilet!.. i remember when i bought my wrx in 2002 they showed the wrc all the time a few times a day.. and now you have a hard time finding it at all... i don't even know who is the leader right now.. must be peter...
Old Dec 14, 2005, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

IGN.com also have an article about this up on there forum.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nubby
This just sucks. I thought 2006 could've been a good year for Mitsubishi.

I hope Galli can find a ride.

Edit: Okay, just let the G/F know to cancel the cable tier that includes the Speed Channel. F**k paying for 22 hours/day of NASCAR programming if I can't catch a glimpse of a Mitsubishi WRC car at full tilt once a month.
Agree 100%, fuc|< Nascar... I only have speed for the WRC, not to mention that being on the east coast sucks, it doesnt even come on until 11. Sucks.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kevin
the speed channel .. you meant the nascar channel right? and why do you think their (speed channel) coverage is so limited now days.. because the wrc is going down the toilet!.. i remember when i bought my wrx in 2002 they showed the wrc all the time a few times a day.. and now you have a hard time finding it at all... i don't even know who is the leader right now.. must be peter...
Well, last I remember it was Sebastian Loeb... I dont really care for him, I dunno why I just dont like him. I really liked Pannizi, Peter, and Marcus.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

wow, that really sucks. Would be nice to get rid of Group A altogether and simply elevate Group N as the standard. For me that used to be the beauty of rallying ... production cars battling it out.

l8r)
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:35 AM

vote to bring back group B? lol that will happen... truely derpressing.
Erik
Old Dec 23, 2005, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

I just saw this ..... WTF ??????

Good thing the cable company on base here doesn't have speed channel. Looks like i wouldn't be watching it anyways considering that the WRC is headed downward. That sucks. I was shocked when i found out that Pugot ( HTF you spell that ) and Citoren were leaving but i don't know what to say abou this..... The few rallys that i saw, i was really impressed with Galli and i was really starting to like him.

Now what do we do ???

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi pulling out of FIA WRC