Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Mitsubishi U.S. Rally TEAM

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2002, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi U.S. Rally TEAM

Why did Mitsubishi sponsor REESE MILLEN in SCCA Pro Rally. He has never even won a Pro Rally before. Seems to me they could have found a better team/driver to do the job and beat Subaru and Hyundai!!! Anybody care? I do. He is going to make Mitsubishi look like SH----------T.
:soapbox:
Old Feb 8, 2002, 12:34 PM

Its all about the money and about WHO you know, not WHAT you know.
Old Feb 11, 2002, 09:26 PM

Unhappy

I have been watching the WRC on Speedvision and has been getting there a$$e$ handed to them by the Puegot and Subby's drivers. Wassup with that????
Old Feb 11, 2002, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
he he he...

I think that’s funny... Rhys (spelled correctly) laughed when he read that...
Old Feb 11, 2002, 09:44 PM

actually Rhys Millen is a good driver. On tarmac that is. I think he would make a better touring or SCCA road course driver than Rally Driver.

About the 2002 WRC rally...remember its the Sweden Rally...snow. And about the Peugot and Subaru drivers, some of the driver switched up. Burns is with Peugot and Tommi is with Subaru. only has Colin's younger brother Alister MacRae to push forward. With Grinholm and Burns in Peugot, Tommi with Subaru and Colin McRae with Ford...i doubt has a chance in getting any positions. But hey, all these guys are getting used to their cars, u never know.
Old Feb 18, 2002, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

Glad you and Reese laughed. Anyway, seems Mitsubishi went for B- Team drivers in WRC too. Alister is up and coming, Delaquior all worn out. It is like 1st year of rebuilding of team. What a combination. Probably won't win any WRC events either this year unless everyone DNFs. Too bad, this could be the end of an era!
Old Feb 19, 2002, 12:19 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

raul, it's Rhys, hahaha. What makes you think Rhys sucks so bad???

Mark
Old Feb 19, 2002, 12:34 AM
Evolving Member

People who know, KNOW. Not gonna say anything bad. He can drive, but results are everything. Car control is only one part of winning races and of course championships!! Not a hater, just not a worshiper of false gods.
Old Feb 19, 2002, 12:52 AM
Evolving Member

Not gonna say anything bad. He can drive but results are everything. It takes more than car control to win races and championships. I'm not a hater, just not a worshiper of false gods!
Old Feb 19, 2002, 12:54 AM
Evolving Member

Ouch...

I didn't really want to get in this due to the fact that I may be bias, but if Mitsubishi did not go with RMR, who do you think they should have pick? Remember... They can be just a driver; they have to be a complete team. Pro-Drive and Libra for example are teams not drivers. I'm just curious.
Old Feb 19, 2002, 02:19 AM
Evolving Member

They can or can't be a driver?
Old Feb 19, 2002, 02:45 AM
Evolving Member

TAD or LIBRA will do. Drivers include Choinere, Lawler, Sprongal, S. Burke, H. Joy, M or D Higgins the list is long. List would include anyone who has won a SCCA Pro Rally or British Championship. People who have demonstrated temperament, talent, fortitude, and organizational skills necessary to get the job done. This is the kind of friendly discussion I was wanting; discussion of the sport! I, unlike you am not biased. I base my statements on fact and track records. That is it. I don't even know these people. I like Mitsubishi! RMR would'nt even show up on my radar except I want a driver and team I can cheer for. DNF's don't cut it

Since I am forced to defend my position, I have questions for you. I didn't want to go there either.
RMR and Millen have how many SCCA Pro Rally wins?
How many SCCA National Championships?
How many SCCA Divisional championships?
How many British Rally victories?
How many British Rally Championships?
How many Canadian Rally Champiopnships?
All of the above mentioned teams and drivers have done some the above.
Looking forward to your answer.
Old Feb 19, 2002, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

To start, I guess I'm sorry I even asked and this will be my last reply... because you said 2 companies and 1 of them already has a contract with Hyundai. TAD isn't a bad choice, Murry is very good at what he does. Though he does live in Mich. The drivers you mentioned are all good drivers no doubt. As far as Rhys' DNF's last year, well that’s rallying. He didn't have a great year, he ran on 1/20th of Hyundai and Subaru's budget (he even had a smaller budget then Burke) but again that’s rallying. Now you ask why is Rhys qualified to run against the others? Apparently your "facts and track records" that you decide on only go back 1 year. Here is my answer:

Won Ramada International Rally 3 Times
Won Pikes Peak International Rally 6 Times
Won Rim of the World 1 Time
New Zealand Race to the Sky Rally 1 Time
Treeline Rally 1 Time
Rookie of the Year SCCA California
Rookie of the Year Pikes Peak

This is just a list of class or overall wins not 2nd, 3rd. and Rhys is only 29 years old. Everyone else you mentioned in much order, for example, Choinere, Lawler, and Sprongle have been rallying longer then Rhys has lived in the US. Rhys didn't even start rallying until he moved. My basic point is that there are a lot of good drivers out there that deserve to be where they are and I believe Rhys has earned his current position. Again that’s the last I'm going to say
Old Feb 19, 2002, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

I'm sorry too. Didn't want this to get nasty. You have obviously drank the coolaide. People of this forum are owed the facts though. I did my homework. Remember my original point was... Mitsubishi could have found a more experienced team to be the works team in U.S. That was it. But now I have to validate my opinion.

SO...
You didn't answer any of my specific questions. Why, because the answer to all the questions are ZERO.

Instead you give me a resume that my shrinkrapping neighbor that drives rally has beat! SCCA Club chamionships and a SCCA National championship.Seriously!

Secondly, Pikes Peak is not a Rally. Don't mislead the kids!

Thirdly, all of these wins came in the absense of real competition. I checked!

Still laughing ? It is all fun and games till someone loses an eye!

GAME OVER
Old Feb 20, 2002, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by RMRLancer
To start, I guess I'm sorry I even asked and this will be my last reply... because you said 2 companies and 1 of them already has a contract with Hyundai. TAD isn't a bad choice, Murry is very good at what he does. Though he does live in Mich.
TAD is based in Lake Zurich, IL (near Chicago). Not a bad choice is a gross understatement; NONE of their cars DNF'd last year due to a mechanical problem. Seems like Mitsu didn't do their homework by going with an inexperienced team.

The drivers you mentioned are all good drivers no doubt. As far as Rhys' DNF's last year, well that’s rallying.
DNF's are a part of rallying. However 6 DNF's from 9 starts last year is a bit questionable. Hard to say whether Noel or Rhys had a worse year

He didn't have a great year, he ran on 1/20th of Hyundai and Subaru's budget (he even had a smaller budget then Burke) but again that’s rallying.
So now you're going to compare an unsponsored PRIVATEER against factory backed money?!?! How do you account for Richard Tuthill who had an even smaller budget? Seems like Mitsu would be better off canning the factory effort and building a good contingency program for all the privateer EVO's running.

Now you ask why is Rhys qualified to run against the others? Apparently your "facts and track records" that you decide on only go back 1 year. Here is my answer:

Won Ramada International Rally 3 Times
Won Pikes Peak International Rally 6 Times
Won Rim of the World 1 Time
New Zealand Race to the Sky Rally 1 Time
Treeline Rally 1 Time
Rookie of the Year SCCA California
Rookie of the Year Pikes Peak
Better go check your facts

Ramada - 1 win in 2000 (although check the competition - we're talking club rally level)
Pikes Peak - BFD - showroom stock doesn't exactly have a lot of competition. How about we compare his times with Paul Choiniere's (granted, Paul was in the Open category) ?
Rim - Certainly not last year (2nd), but maybe you're talking about a club rally
New Zealand - thanks to Rod and Possum having problems.
Treeline - Club rally - BFD

This is just a list of class or overall wins not 2nd, 3rd. and Rhys is only 29 years old. Everyone else you mentioned in much order, for example, Choinere, Lawler, and Sprongle have been rallying longer then Rhys has lived in the US. Rhys didn't even start rallying until he moved. My basic point is that there are a lot of good drivers out there that deserve to be where they are and I believe Rhys has earned his current position. Again that’s the last I'm going to say
If age is an issue, then how about Richard Tuthill, Patrick Richard, and a few other drivers that have proven to be faster. The fact is Rhys hasn't proven himself in Pro Rally; this comes with experience and results. The issue is why was the ride given to him, when there are other more experienced teams and drivers out there?

-jim kesner

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi U.S. Rally TEAM