Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Schumacher with another mechanical failure

Old Oct 21, 2006, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Schumacher with another mechanical failure

6 years without a single mechanical failure and then suddenly 2 failure in 2 back to back race at a time when he needs the car to be reliable the most. i hope this is not going to be a new trend for Ferrari. I would feel really bad for Kimi to come from one unreliable team to another don't even know if the car was fixed after the the 3rd qualifying for not. he was blistering fast in the second quali setting a new track record. maybe he feel that he has nothing to loose on his last race and just beat the car to hell. it should be an interesting race tomorrow though. looks like Massa is going to walk away with it.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
6 years , 3 months and 6 days to be exact.. Yeah, I watched the qualifying this morning. I would like to see Alonso winning but I really don't like to see other cars being DNF because of mechanical issues.
MSC being who he is he will race like never before, this is his last race and he is starting with a disavantage however he has nothing to loose, the odds are already against him so he will risk to the max.

This kind off brings me the fairness of playing with the same cards. Alonso was penalized 10 pole spots/places 4 races ago because he was accussed of "blocking" a driver in his fast "hot lap". It ended up not being the case but the FAA did not admited publicly until after the fact. It was too late, Fernando took the hit by lossing 10 positions on the pole.

At this point in my book both drivers are absolutely fairly punished, they both have 2 DNF and they both lost 10 spot pole positions (well, MSC approximately lost 1 to 9 spots )

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Oct 21, 2006 at 08:25 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

******Live from Brazil*****

MSC did not get a flat tire because of a nail on the road, MSC got his rear left tire flat due to wanting to pass Fissichella in the curve and touching with the rear tire of his car on Fissichella's front right spoiler tip.

I just want it to make this clarification before I start hearing the BS that he was "unlucky" with a flat tire.

Carlos
Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

can't believe he suffered another set back. Fisi did a great job at defending his position against Michael and he should not be blamed. i think the incident just made Michael push even harder and it shows. he was almost a lap down and came back to finish 4th. that just shows what a great driver he is. concrads to Massa for winning his home grand prix.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great driving by MS. Ferrari handing the constructor's cup to Reanult by 5 points... what a season...
Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carlos, you're correct. Ross Brawn mentioned in an interview just now that he thinks it was Fisi's front that did it. However, it was milimeters either way. Just turned out to be the wrong way.

Anyway, anyone knows what the problem was at one corner where Michael twice (at least) slowed down significantly?
Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by x838nwy
Carlos, you're correct. Ross Brawn mentioned in an interview just now that he thinks it was Fisi's front that did it. However, it was milimeters either way. Just turned out to be the wrong way.

Anyway, anyone knows what the problem was at one corner where Michael twice (at least) slowed down significantly?
Yes indeed. It was confirmed that Shumi ran into Fissichellas front spoiler causing the sidewall of the tire to rupture. They replay the incident in slow motion.

It is unfortunate that he hit Fissichella but as you all know that is his trademark driving style, he risked too much just to get in front of Fissichella.

He did a heck of a race after that but Alonso also confirmed that when he heard on the radio that Shumi was last Renault told Alonso to not rev to red line.

I am not making this up, all this is being said as we speak on Speed channel.

Carlos
Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy
can't believe he suffered another set back. Fisi did a great job at defending his position against Michael and he should not be blamed. i think the incident just made Michael push even harder and it shows. he was almost a lap down and came back to finish 4th. that just shows what a great driver he is. concrads to Massa for winning his home grand prix.
Definately the tire damage made Shumi ran to its limits. The reason why he ended in 4th is because:

1) He is one of the fastest drivers
2) many other drivers retired from the race
3) Because the bulk of drivers are significantly slower than Shumi. He only need to really race Kimi, Alonso, Fissichella,Massa, all others are no obstacle for MSC.

Carlos
Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Definately the tire damage made Shumi ran to its limits. The reason why he ended in 4th is because:

1) He is one of the fastest drivers
2) many other drivers retired from the race
3) Because the bulk of drivers are significantly slower than Shumi. He only need to really race Kimi, Alonso, Fissichella,Massa, all others are no obstacle for MSC.

Carlos
Schumi was running 17th after he got back on the track. 71 seconds back of Massa, ~30 or so back of Alonso. The fact that he got back to 5 seconds short of Alonso shows how good he is, especially since he was having some sort of mechanical problem the rest of the race causing him to understeer through some turns (faulty TC maybe).

All F1 drivers are amazing. What Schumi did today was truly spectacular.

Last edited by f-dub; Oct 22, 2006 at 12:49 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ I don't doubt he is a good driver, he is exceptional. Remember, Shumi desperately needed to finish 1st and Alonso didn't. Does it ring the bell? All Alonso has to do is cruise along the track and not push the engine to the limit, Shumi on the other hand had to push its engine to the limit because he made his trademark mistake of running into another driver again (Fissichella) causing him to loose all that precious time.

Remember, he(Shumi) almost hit Kimi 5 laps to the end and additionally Shumi also forced Kimi to run out of the curve when he attemted another dangerous overtaking move.

What do I think if Shumi would not had hit Fissichella's car, I think Either Shumi or Massa would have finish first but Alonso would had finished second or third. Alonso would had push his car harder but again he did not needed to .

The summary is that Alonso's consistency pays off. He plays his strategy to the perfection, he lett off the gas when he needs to and he is on the gas when he need to as well. Alonso is a clean driver that does not risk hiting others just to gain a position. Today championship reflected his meriotorious clean and consistent driving style earning him his second consecutive championship in a row leading MSC by 13 pts.

It gets better, Shumi being out of the horizon Alonso might be even more sucessfull so watch up for next year guys...

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Oct 22, 2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

2006 statistics:

Alonso 7 wins, 7 times 2nd, 2DNF
MSC 7 wins , 4 times 2nd, 2FNF

Out of 18 races Fernando finished 14 races first and second, then two 6th place finish and two DNF.

Michael did : 7 Wins, 4 second places ,one 3rd place, one 4th place, 1 seveth place, one 8th place

Alonso fairly earned his championship.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Oct 22, 2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Renault and Alonso deserve to win the championship. they had a superior package from the beginning of the season and Ferrari had to play the catch up game the second half of the season. as Alonso stated in the interview, the 2 championship that he won was more meaningful because he was competing against the greatest driver, Michael Schumacher.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Remember, he(Shumi) almost hit Kimi 5 laps to the end and additionally Shumi also forced Kimi to run out of the curve when he attemted another dangerous overtaking move.

Carlos
No offense intended, but that is how F1 is ran. Especially in today's world of extreme downforce. You have to make your passes under braking, and whoever is ahead going into the turn/has position wins the pass. In some cases the other driver doesn't want to give it up easily (like today with Fisi hitting Michael's car). Most drivers would have conceded the spot, but Fisi didn't because he was trying to do his best to help the team. I am not blaming anyone for it, as I myself have never driven a car 150+ mph into a turn at 7g of braking force and tried to avoid another car. It is a very difficult task to accomplish.

I don't consider it dangerous. Sometimes cars hit, that is part of racing. All of the drivers make passes like that, especially the top drivers. If it wasn't for passing such as this the only position changes would take place during pit stops, and I for one am not interested in that type of racing.

Watch the last couple laps of a MotoGP race, and you will truly see what dangerous passing is.

Last edited by f-dub; Oct 22, 2006 at 04:38 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

I somehow agree. The issue on this race is that Michael had the unconditional task to win no matter what. In order to MSC to win the championship he had absolutely no other option but to finish first even if Fernado was DNF.

These factors contributed directly on how MSC had to manage his race. You mentioned that Fissichella hit MSC but it is the other way around. MSC is the one that did the maniouver and ended changing lanes and overtaking fissichella then closing him as he was returning to the proper lane to engage on the curve.

I want to reitarate not just to you but to anyone in this world that MSC was to blame on his own tire puncture due to his early overtake maniouver(closing too much and returning to the original location too early).

I truly don't blame him, he did exceptional and he ran faster than anyone, unfortunately he pay a high price for risking too much, you always must leave yourself a margin of error and a gap to prevent collision. It is better to finish one spot behind that not finished at all.

I think that if MSC wouldn't had that unfortunate self generated tire misshap he would had probably finished 1st , 2nd or 3rd. And no offense by the way.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Oct 22, 2006 at 07:28 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow are your eyes that bad?
If Fisichella's front wing end plate is what hit schumacher's rear tire then how in the world is the pass not executed? Fisichella intentionally kept his nose in an attempt to cause a problem. OF course it is hard to blame Fisichella because he has poor car control as evident by the second time he was passed by Schumacher. Conversely, Raikkonen has car control so he knew he could stick in there and not hit the other driver even though he knew he was stuck on the outside in the corner.

Alonso is doomed with his move to McLaren. The reliability is deplorable and he will not get along well with management over there. I will be truely suprised if Alonso is even in the top 3 next year.

Unfortunately for Kimi, Ferrari is losing some of it's most valuable staff and we can only hope those who step in can continue to provide the package that was provided by Ross and Rory.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Schumacher with another mechanical failure