Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

On the subject of tow hooks, this is my project

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2006, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the subject of tow hooks, this is my project

Purchasing these two and seeing what kind of threaded bracket i can come up with. Have the access to machine shop my buddy owns. It will be easily removable. Lets see what happens

Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Let us know what you figure out, I would love to install one.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

i was thinking about tapping the stock crashbar. Dont know if it will be stong enough though. Problary just make a custom bracket
Old Dec 31, 2006, 02:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RoughedgesMR
i was thinking about tapping the stock crashbar. Dont know if it will be stong enough though. Problary just make a custom bracket
tapping it? no.

Adding a plate to grab onto, etc? yes, strong enough.

I'm simply gonna find a strap thats 10-12 inches, and loop it through the bar, and hang it out that front hole.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
tapping it? no.

Adding a plate to grab onto, etc? yes, strong enough.

I'm simply gonna find a strap thats 10-12 inches, and loop it through the bar, and hang it out that front hole.
I was thinking about making a custom L bracket to hook to the front crashbar . The L will go over the drivers side opening in the crashbar. It will be threaded to close tolerances. Do you think this would hold or would i be better to weld it and make it non removable?
Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

BTW. In no way do i NEED this to be my own project. Comments and suggestions are welcome because it will help all of us that are looking for another option. I am just willing to be the guinea pig and spend my time making the RIGHT setup. thanks
Old Dec 31, 2006, 06:54 PM
Account Disabled

Mount that other guy's front tow hook to the factory tow hook, thus resulting with two tow hooks, then weld this tow hook to that other guy's tow hook. That should work.

or weld a nut to the front bumper support and screw that in. If it's really a race car there won't be a bumper support then the user should revert to the first plan of action above.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

my suggestion is the welding of the nut idea.

However, i got the blingin rennline tow hooks at 100 a pop, and then found out they're a rolled thread, ie: it's not a normal thread. so now, well, im screwed on them.

Kinda bummed me, but ill find somethin. thats why i turned to the idea of the strap. stuff it in there when you're not using it, pull it out (better yet, get a red strap) so the tow people can see it.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
my suggestion is the welding of the nut idea.

However, i got the blingin rennline tow hooks at 100 a pop, and then found out they're a rolled thread, ie: it's not a normal thread. so now, well, im screwed on them.

Kinda bummed me, but ill find somethin. thats why i turned to the idea of the strap. stuff it in there when you're not using it, pull it out (better yet, get a red strap) so the tow people can see it.
Are you saying you cant find a nut for you to use with what you purchased? Pm me if thats the case. I own a company that supplys the U.S Government with military parts and hardware. I can get any nut, bolt, washer, screw or fastener in any size, plating, grade, etc. If you could measure the thread pitch, threads per inch, inches of thread, diameter, I could get what your looking for.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

I was told that it is an acme rolled thread. It's a non-american (european), odd thread. the threads are not tapered, or straight, they're flat on the top.

After purchasing them and realizing it, and emailing rennline (the maker), their best suggestion for doing it was looking for a busted up porsche, and cutting/welding the part in.

I didn't totally understand the whole concept, and had already admitted that i'd screwed up. If i ever found out what metal it is, i'd simply weld it to the front support.