Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

product review: Takspeed Ti brake pad backing plates

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2007, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
product review: Takspeed Ti brake pad backing plates

Recently I acquired a set of Takspeed's titanium brake pad backing plates. At a Laguna Seca outing in November before getting the Ti plates I experienced some minor fade even after a fresh bleed. Laguna is hard on brakes and the DTC60 pads were starting to wear down - this minor fade didn't happen when the pads were thicker.

Before a trip to Thunderhill last weekend I installed the backing plates and experienced no fade on the same worn pads. The ambient temp was similar to Laguna in November.

I selected Takspeed because they have the widest selection of fitments for this product - they're the only ones who make a Ti shim that fits the RacingBrake 4piston calipers I use. The product fit perfectly in the caliper and is very thin and lightweight.

Ti makes a good insulating metal because it's light, strong, has a terrifically high melting point, and has a much lower rate of thermal conductivity than aluminum (on par with stainless 304).

I'll be using them from this point forward: recommended.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds good, but for 99% of us, the stock calipers, although color changing, are plenty fine. However, best of luck out there.

Something i've found i'm doing is now heel/toe'ing nearly 95% of the time, and it's caused me to ride the brakes a touch longer, getting everything a touch warmer.

Just something to keep in mind when dealing with brake heat.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I rigged my IC sprayer to shoot water on the rotor instead of the FMIC. That works great!

J/K
Old Jan 31, 2007, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Some of our calipers at work have a trick little ceramic insert that pops into the piston and helps quell heat transfer. They seem to work really well. I'll see if I can find out who makes them.