Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

HANS device and airbag

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tsurara
That's odd, I spoke with Joe also and he told me the narrower belts were for comfort along with the seat. Are you sure about this? It even says otherwise on the HANS site:

I can't find the blurb about the seat, but it was my understanding that the HANS specific seats had the shoulder straps further apart so that the belts wouldn't rub against your neck... to be honest, I heard most of these things were rumors about the HANS.

Warmpepsi: From my understanding, the only belts you can't use with a HANS are ASM-type belts (the ones that expand upon impact and are 4 point). If it matters, I run the HANS with Schroth Profi II belts and a Bride Zeta III seat, I have been in a crash and the HANS did its job. I think as long as you have some decent 5 or 6 point belts and a bucket seat (which is required for the belts anyway) you will be good to go.

I also agree, the Schroth 4 point ASM belts are perfectly ok and work against submarining. I would imagine at a higher speed impact the 6 point belt might be more effective, but the 4 point ASM has always worked as described, from what I hear. The problem is combined with the HANS, it can expand and the HANS device can slip, and well, you can figure out the rest. It even says on the ASM belt that it is "NOT HANS COMPATIBLE!" But from what I understand they are fine without one.
I have the simpson belts, the silver poly ones. Fixed back bucket seat.

the part about the ASM belts were kinda what i thought.

I appreciate your input.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
I have the simpson belts, the silver poly ones. Fixed back bucket seat.

the part about the ASM belts were kinda what i thought.

I appreciate your input.
You'll be perfectly fine with a fixed back bucket seat and Simpson belts. That's a hugely popular combination, along with the 5 point G-Force belts.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

You'll be perfectly fine with a fixed back bucket seat and Simpson belts. That's a hugely popular combination, along with the 5 point G-Force belts.
again, thanks for the confirmation

Now back onto the airbag topic. Consensus at all?

With a full-closed face helmet, visor down, airbag still plugged in? I'd love to swap steering wheels anyways, but I can't see a justification unless the airbag has to be 100% gone.

(putting in the scca-tranny cooler to try and save my 6 spd )
Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

again, thanks for the confirmation

Now back onto the airbag topic. Consensus at all?

With a full-closed face helmet, visor down, airbag still plugged in? I'd love to swap steering wheels anyways, but I can't see a justification unless the airbag has to be 100% gone.

(putting in the scca-tranny cooler to try and save my 6 spd )
No point in using an airbag with a 5 point, HANS, and a cage/rollbar. You'll be pretty stationary at that point and I would be surprised if the airbag even reached you. However, I think you could be putting yourself in more danger since the airbag could potentially shatter the face mask if you sit close to the wheel (like me).
Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

No point in using an airbag with a 5 point, HANS, and a cage/rollbar. You'll be pretty stationary at that point and I would be surprised if the airbag even reached you. However, I think you could be putting yourself in more danger since the airbag could potentially shatter the face mask if you sit close to the wheel (like me).
rollbar, no cage. I'm about as far back as you could possibly be. My head is about the b pillar. (6'3).

The car isn't really streetable, but other than no cat, it's street legal. So i'll leave the bags til i stumble upon a winning lotto ticket

I'm basically running HPDE/TT style stuff, but normally i'm out there playing with the bigger boys A good rule of thumb, is normally anything that passes me, has a full cage. And honestly, so should I.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by marksae
Stock seat belts are 2".
Apples and oranges. You don't submarine with stock 3-point belts because they act like a pulley: as your upper body moves forward, your hips get pulled down.

Originally Posted by marksae
I don't see how the Schroth 4-pt harnesses could be any worse than them. They have a anti-submarining mechanism that elongates at a faster rate to prevent submarining. Do you have any solid evidence to backup your claims that they are not safe?
The fact that they're specifically disallowed in road racing and rally use by the FIA and SFI is a pretty good sign

Emre
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kayaalp
Apples and oranges. You don't submarine with stock 3-point belts because they act like a pulley: as your upper body moves forward, your hips get pulled down.

The fact that they're specifically disallowed in road racing and rally use by the FIA and SFI is a pretty good sign

Emre
so for clarification, your whole comment about not being able to run a HANs with a 4 point, was because of his using the schroth's with the ASM, correct?
Old Feb 4, 2007, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

i want a HANS... wish i didnt have to dish out $1k to get one...
Old Feb 4, 2007, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nils
i know, but it's one of those things. It's like rain tires. If you've got them, you won't really need them.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

so for clarification, your whole comment about not being able to run a HANs with a 4 point, was because of his using the schroth's with the ASM, correct?
Well, you definitely can't use a HANS with 2" 4-point tuner belts. Whether you can use them with 3" 4-point harnesses isn't something I can't answer...I never specifically asked about that.

However, HANS devices are meant to be used with fixed-back race seats and harnesses. You can't use stock reclining seats (heck, you can't even use most "race" seats!). That means you need a cage of some sort. If you're going to get fixed-back race seats and a cage anyway...why not go with proper 5+ point harnesses in the first place?

Funny thing is, there are some head-and-neck devices on the market that appear to be even better than the HANS in terms of design and use. I have some experience with the Isaac Device, and I found it better than the HANS in almost every respect. And it's FAR cheaper. Unfortunately for us, it's not yet approved by most race sanctioning bodies. So, we'll have to wait...

Emre
Old Feb 4, 2007, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

i know, but it's one of those things. It's like rain tires. If you've got them, you won't really need them.
he he... since taking the wife sideways in the wagon... now I have 'family budget approval' for safety gear.. lol

Kayaalp - thx... I'll check thta out.

n
Old Feb 4, 2007, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Well, you definitely can't use a HANS with 2" 4-point tuner belts. Whether you can use them with 3" 4-point harnesses isn't something I can't answer...I never specifically asked about that.

However, HANS devices are meant to be used with fixed-back race seats and harnesses. You can't use stock reclining seats (heck, you can't even use most "race" seats!). That means you need a cage of some sort. If you're going to get fixed-back race seats and a cage anyway...why not go with proper 5+ point harnesses in the first place?

Funny thing is, there are some head-and-neck devices on the market that appear to be even better than the HANS in terms of design and use. I have some experience with the Isaac Device, and I found it better than the HANS in almost every respect. And it's FAR cheaper. Unfortunately for us, it's not yet approved by most race sanctioning bodies. So, we'll have to wait...

Emre
right. I have 5 pt simpsons and a bucket seat. Whats the criteria on why any fixed bucket seat wouldn't work?
Old Feb 4, 2007, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

right. I have 5 pt simpsons and a bucket seat. Whats the criteria on why any fixed bucket seat wouldn't work?
I don't know the details. It has to do with the shape (and width, I think) of the headrest portion. To be honest, I bet the HANS would work with just about any race seat. But not all seats are HANS approved. Again, this will run you into trouble with your race sanctioning body.

Not sure where you can get a list of approved seats, though. Joe Marko is probably the best resource for that kind of info.

Emre
Old Feb 4, 2007, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

he he... since taking the wife sideways in the wagon... now I have 'family budget approval' for safety gear.. lol

Kayaalp - thx... I'll check thta out.

n
goood work boss
Old Feb 4, 2007, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know the details. It has to do with the shape (and width, I think) of the headrest portion. To be honest, I bet the HANS would work with just about any race seat. But not all seats are HANS approved. Again, this will run you into trouble with your race sanctioning body.

Not sure where you can get a list of approved seats, though. Joe Marko is probably the best resource for that kind of info.

Emre
I'm not running wheel to wheel, NASA is the only sanctioning body i have to deal with, and TT standards don't even require up to date FIA dates.

If theres a reason you or anyone else, thinks it's unsafe, i'm all ears, but i think the positives outweigh the negatives.

Quick Reply: HANS device and airbag