Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

HPDE insurance

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I asked specifically if a full coverage would exclude any accidents that happen on a racing surface during a high performance driving school which is not timed and no door to door racing. The agent was unsure at first until she found a rule that would exclude any coverage on above situation.

I am very interested to hear the answer of the same question asked by any other people who have contacted GEICO.

Originally Posted by inslowoutfast
Evojim, I am unsure what you asked the agent. There isn't a special policy specifically for HPDE. Policies are usually listed as liability thru full coverage/collision. When my friend called the agent he asked is his currentl full coverage policy would exclude coverage if he is not racing and using his car on a race track for a drivers education event. The GEico agent assured him that he will be covered.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoatcha
Just had a nice conversation with Chris Maume. His company offers HPDE coverage for 1 calendar year for 3% of your car's declared value with a $1000 deductible for each $25,000 of declared value. Doesn't matter how many track days you do in that year. From 1 to 365, they are all covered for the same price. You must already have street insurance for your car. This is to weed out the dedicated race cars. Chris has a separate more expensive program for them. I'm strongly considering purchasing this insurance because of the peace of mind it would give me at the track.
Do you know if there is a 6 month rate? not that the yearly rate is bad at all! Events are usually only held from April until October here.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Good find. This is what I was hoping would come out of this thread, alternatives to the "regular" insurance companies. I might have to give Chris a call ...
Group buy time? lol.

How about a $35k option for us Evo owners with the lower deductable?
Old Mar 13, 2007, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

meh, not so good value for me.

I mean 3% of 25,000 is 750 bucks.

I pay 560 for both of my cars full coverage all year with Allstate. sounds like a really crappy value actually, since I only plan on doing 2-3 events a year.

I guess we're better off tearing up on public roads, since we have coverage there.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by texrex2002

I pay 560 for both of my cars full coverage all year with Allstate. sounds like a really crappy value actually, since I only plan on doing 2-3 events a year.

I guess we're better off tearing up on public roads, since we have coverage there.
It's certainly a better value if you do lots of events. Depends on how much you want to pay for piece of mind, and whether you can afford to total your car and not be covered by insurance.

And yeah, keep tearing up public roads. I'm sure no one will mind. And race tracks are so boring because they don't have all those fun exposed trees, ditches, oncoming traffic and cops.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

I'll have to call and see if Time Trials/Attacks are covered. If yes, this is a no brainer.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by boomn29
Group buy time? lol.

How about a $35k option for us Evo owners with the lower deductable?
Heck yeah, we should probably call him up about that ... as Ookami mentioned I would be interested in 6 month contracts if it is available ... I left a message for Chris ... Maybe we should start another thread about On track insurance group buy?

Originally Posted by trex2002

As you know, Allstate doesn't cover accidents that occur on race tracks. Racing on public roads puts your license in jeorpady. Get caught and you will be paying more in fines and trying to stay out of jail. Plus you really can't go all out on public roads in good conscious, without constantly having to worry about all that could go wrong. Its about peace of mind and I hope everyone goes out to the track with their safety, the safety of their cars and the safety of others on the track in mind. Okay I'm off the soap box
Old Mar 13, 2007, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
As you know, Allstate doesn't cover accidents that occur on race tracks. Racing on public roads puts your license in jeorpady. Get caught and you will be paying more in fines and trying to stay out of jail. Plus you really can't go all out on public roads in good conscious, without constantly having to worry about all that could go wrong. Its about peace of mind and I hope everyone goes out to the track with their safety, the safety of their cars and the safety of others on the track in mind. Okay I'm off the soap box
lol, hope you didn't think I was serious.

I am applying the "if they won't build us a dragstrip then they must want us to drag race on public roads" logic.

in all seriousness though, I find that track driving does "feed the monster" in a sense, and reduces my impulse to "enjoy the performance dynamics of my car" (push it) occasionally on the street.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

I would be interested in a 6 month plan also...I'll follow the thread if anyone finds it out.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 07:58 AM
Account Disabled

As of now.... all regular car insurance companies are catching on real fast... i'm guessing within a year or so, no insurance company will cover HPDE's. I've seen some insane wrecks this past year and NONE have been covered.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kingkyle
I've seen some insane wrecks this past year and NONE have been covered.
really?

I keep asking my driving instructor, and he says that in 9 years he has seen 2 wrecks, and one was where a porsche fell off some jackstands, rolled down a little hill and struck a car in the grid...

I didn't think accidents hardly ever occurred at HPDE's just given the amount of runout room, no trees, etc.

???
Old Mar 14, 2007, 12:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by texrex2002
really?

I keep asking my driving instructor, and he says that in 9 years he has seen 2 wrecks, and one was where a porsche fell off some jackstands, rolled down a little hill and struck a car in the grid...

I didn't think accidents hardly ever occurred at HPDE's just given the amount of runout room, no trees, etc.

???
You must have a very safe club. The vast majority of HPDEs that I've been to have had at least one significant wreck per weekend.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There was a "minor" collision between a Honda Civic and a Porsche @ MAM last year, the Honda looked like it took the brunt of the damage to the front end ... MAM has PLENTY of run off room and that didn't seem to matter ... Another time I saw an Elise sideswipe a gaurdrail on the straight away @ MAM. Some tracks have plenty of gaurdrails and tirewalls and thus don't have enough run off room ... I guess it just depends on the track.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 12:22 PM
Account Disabled

Just last year I saw a wrecked Ford GT, 2 Acura NSX's, G35 coupe, Evo, 2 STI's, 2 Honda civic's, 3 Lotus Elise's. ummm Maserati was totalled... BMW M3 e36. oh yeah Porsche GT3... into the wall at Pocono. hmm I bet there was more

also BMW z4 into the tires at Lime Rock and a 2 Dodge vipers all wrecked!

I dont see many z06's crash very often....

Bad things do happen.

-Kyle
Old Mar 14, 2007, 12:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by kingkyle
Bad things do happen. -Kyle
Someone was killed at about my 7th HPDE. Nice guy too. I met him about 15 minutes before the accident.

Quick Reply: HPDE insurance