Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Coming Soon to an Autocross Near You!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2007, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Coming Soon to an Autocross Near You!

EVOlutionary and Showcase Mitsubishi Team Up for 2007 SCCA Solo2 Season

Racers in SCCA Solo2 know the name Showcase Mitsubishi is synonomous with fast autocross EVOs. In 2005, at the hands of Andy Lieber and John Tak, the '05 Showcase EVO took 1st and 2nd in E Street Prepared class at Nationals. Because the AWD rockets were so far ahead of the Mustangs and Camaros in ESP, for 2006 the EVO and STI was bumped up to B Street Prepared. The Corvettes and S2000's didn't stand a chance. 2006 saw another superb performance by the Showcase EVO. John Tak piloted the '06 Showcase EVO to 1st place at Nationals. Actually, past and present Showcase Mitsubishi prepped EVOs accounted for 3 of the top 4 positions in BSP class at the 2006 Solo Nationals!

While they were playing in the Street Prepared classes, another EVO racer, Jarrod Hoops (aka EVOlutionary) was messing with the big dogs in Street Modified. In the land of big turbos, whining superchargers and F-16 sized wings, Jarrod hung on for a 9th place finish. Although he was the highest finishing AWD car in Street Mod in 2006 and had only been autocrossing for 2 years, Jarrod knew the true potential of the EVO platform in Street Mod had not been reached. He started his planning for total world domination in 2007 (well, he'll settle for just beating some BMWs and Honduhs)

For the first time ever, 2007 will see a Showcase Mitsubishi EVO built specifically for Street Modified class. Take the recipe for a national champion BSP EVO, sprinkle on some more power, stir in some aerodynamics, separate out some more weight, and you're left with one tasty treat! A Showcase Mitsubishi EVO has been responsible for 2 championships in 2 different classes in 2 consecutive years. Could there be a 3-peat on the horizon?? I hope so!! Piloted by driver/owner Jarrod Hoops and co-driver Andy Lieber, keep an eye out for a little red rocket tearing up an autocross track near you!
Old Mar 15, 2007, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Man, I love writing in the 3rd person
Old Mar 15, 2007, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like I will have some more east coast competition. Very good indeed. I like that.

Mark
Old Mar 15, 2007, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Hi Mark,

Andy said we're going to have to work with you to put a hurtin' on those pesky west coast Bimmers!
Old Mar 15, 2007, 06:10 PM
PPI
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This should be another fun Evo to watch race this year!

Best wishes Jarrod/Showcase!
Old Mar 15, 2007, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

I have spent the better part of a week camber curving and bump steer correcting my car. Pain in the butt to get right. Like you I plan on running a much more prepared car this year. Can't wait to get out and start running.

Mark
Old Mar 15, 2007, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, you made the decision to go ahead and do it with the IX. I felt that was your best route to take, and I'm glad to see you are following through with it. I'm sure the IX RS will be a monster. I'm skurred already just thinking about it.

While you guys tear up SM at Nats, I'll try to make a top 10 appearance.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 06:56 PM
Account Disabled

congrats and can't wait to see this up coming season...i may be changing classes
Old Mar 16, 2007, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Man, I love writing in the 3rd person
Good Luck! ... we have a local WRX owner who is very likely to attend Nats in SM this year
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:35 PM

I just saw this... Congrats and good luck.

I'm debating whether to stay in SM or drop down to BSP this year.

Either way, I can't wait to see some EVO domination in SM in Topeka!
Old Mar 26, 2007, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys!

I'm really getting excited for the car to come together and the season to start. SM at Nationals this year is going to be very interesting! With Tunnell out, that still leaves some stiff competition in Sias and a couple other Bimmers. Not to mention those pesky little 1500 lb. FWD cars!

Hopefully the EVOs can work together to rule the class this year!
Old Mar 27, 2007, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

Apparently Tunnell's car was sold to Kevin Youngers, who is no slouch himself. I wouldn't count him out at this point. Didn't he design one of this years courses at Nats?
Old Mar 27, 2007, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, Kevin is yet another amazing driver from my region. We have a lot of National-level talent out here, which is good for me.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

Kevin designed the east course last year, I haven't heard if he is doing any of the national courses this year.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kekek
Apparently Tunnell's car was sold to Kevin Youngers, who is no slouch himself. I wouldn't count him out at this point. Didn't he design one of this years courses at Nats?
Oh! I knew that name sounded familiar but I could not place it. . . What did Kevin drive before??