Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Little advise needed about autoX class choices.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2007, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little advise needed about autoX class choices.

Im still new to the sport. Been to 2 events and have a few more coming up very soon. While the best thing for me is seat time, id like to prep my car for its specific class. Now i can demod and run STU, or keep it how it is, a little more work, and run BSP. Problem with BSP is, i dont plan on running slicks this year, just the rt615. Problem with STU is i realy REALY dont want to run a cat, or stock boost.

Heres my current mod list to give you an idea of where I'm at.

Car: 06 WW IX

Perrin MBC (23psi)
KN Drop In Filter
TTP 3" Downpipe
Megan Racing Testpipe
MagnaFlow Street Catback
HorsepowerFreaks LICP
Short Shifter/Bushings
ECUFlash Cable/Software
Tanabe GF210 Springs
RMR Lower Arm Bar
Whiteline 24mm Rear Sway
DBA Slotted Rotors (Front)
Hawk HPS Brake Pads
Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Motul 5.1 Fluid
Work Racing Emotion CR KAI 18x9.5" 20/30 Offset
Falken Azenis RT-615 265/35-18
Miteki Lugs

Obviously i want to be competitive at a local level atleast, im not worried about nationals, id just like to be fast enough to fit in the class i choose time wise.. If that makes sense..

anyways, thanks guys..
Old Jun 17, 2007, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You will not be competitive in BSP or SM with street tires, so that's really the biggest decision. It's really not a problem to run the cat and remove the MBC for STU - you can just do it for events as opposed to doing it all the time, however, the rims (and tires) also can't be used in STU. If you really don't want to do that, then you'll have to get some real race rubber to do BSP or SM. BSP is very close in index to SM, and SM usually has a lot more entries, so you may have more fun in BSP where there are less restrictions and more cars.

Honestly, even in STU, the RT-615s will not keep up with the top competitors, so you can imagine how far off you'll be in BSP where Evos have 285s on all 4...

Oh, not to mention you don't even have a suspension, so those mods wouldn't be competitive in SM, BSP, _OR_ STU. Those springs are awful and will only hurt the shocks while not really improving handling. That combined with a rear sway is just a hodge podge of not-so-good suspension parts. If you want to do well and compete, you'll need to start over and re-do your mods according to whatever class you choose.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

I think you're doing the right thing by learning on streeties--it will reward you later...
If you have some quick AWD drivers tutor you as well.

Unless you have a hotshoe in BSP locally, you can more than likely become competitive w/ 615s as you acquire more seat time. This way, you can leave your car modded & not go through the hassle of making it an STU car.

My car has placed consistently in the top 5 overall & one FTD locally (100+ car-count events) on 615s since I started running it a few events ago.
The one component that may not treat you well are the 210 springs; I'm not sure how they compare dynamically to more handling-oriented springs.

Have fun!
Old Jun 17, 2007, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

I do want to add, that im using the rest of this year to get my driving to a more desireable place. I just cant justify ohlins and slicks when i cant get the best times out of street tires now..

As far as my local region..well...BSP is damn fast....DAMN fast..many c4's on tires who do WELL at nationals..
Old Jun 17, 2007, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

GTB, it's unlikely that would happen for you in our region. Plus, you didn't mention your class - I'm guessing it's STU, so that doesn't really apply. The only way he'll be remotely competitive in BSP is if it's a very small class with other non-competitive cars. There's simply no way to keep up with cars that have r-comps and coilovers. I would bet that he would finish way down the list of both STU and STX in our region if he ran BSP, and I'm talking raw times. If he's content with being competitive in a 3-car class in a weak region, then that's a different story.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DontRevMe
I do want to add, that im using the rest of this year to get my driving to a more desireable place. I just cant justify ohlins and slicks when i cant get the best times out of street tires now..

As far as my local region..well...BSP is damn fast....DAMN fast..many c4's on tires who do WELL at nationals..
Then you'll get obliterated. Nothing wrong with wanting to learn on street tires and stock suspension. That's exactly what I did. I ran the 100% stock suspension (no sways or springs) for a while, then I started using low-level r-comps, then I went to 245-wideth V710s, and after a full SCCA season under my belt, I decided on my Ohlins + 285 V710s on 18X9.5 rims. I was somewhat competitive in my LOCAL SM class with stock suspension and V710s, but now I'm completely dominant, but SM is very weak locally. In terms of index, I'm finishing 6-12 out of ~175 in a very strong region (overall).

Last edited by Warrtalon; Jun 17, 2007 at 06:13 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Then you'll get obliterated. Nothing wrong with wanting to learn on street tires and stock suspension. That's exactly what I did. I ran the 100% stock suspension (no sways or springs) for a while, then I started using low-level r-comps, then I went to 245-wideth V710s, and after a full SCCA season under my belt, I decided on my Ohlins + 285 V710s on 18X9.5 rims. I was somewhat competitive in my LOCAL SM class with stock suspension and V710s, but now I'm completely dominant.

yeah im concerning myself with next year, im just running novice classes this year so far. My only real concern with running in those classes is how much work it may take to fit 285-315's in there without busting out the sawzal on my fenders.. Its a daily driver first unfortunately.

ah cars...
Old Jun 17, 2007, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Well, most of us run 285s. We run them, because they fit on 18X9.5s with the right offset and only fender rolling. 315s are crazy - I didn't mention 315s. We have tons of threads showing Evos with 285s. Again, we choose that size to avoid any major modifications to the body.

Mine is a daily driver, too.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Well, most of us run 285s. We run them, because they fit on 18X9.5s with the right offset and only fender rolling. 315s are crazy - I didn't mention 315s. We have tons of threads showing Evos with 285s. Again, we choose that size to avoid any major modifications to the body.

Mine is a daily driver, too.
reason i say 315's is there's a white SM prep STI local that runs them..Im trying to find pics...
Old Jun 17, 2007, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

GTB, it's unlikely that would happen for you in our region. Plus, you didn't mention your class - I'm guessing it's STU, so that doesn't really apply. The only way he'll be remotely competitive in BSP is if it's a very small class with other non-competitive cars. There's simply no way to keep up with cars that have r-comps and coilovers. I would bet that he would finish way down the list of both STU and STX in our region if he ran BSP, and I'm talking raw times. If he's content with being competitive in a 3-car class in a weak region, then that's a different story.
I run SM & we have some National trophy level drivers in the area. A really strong driver will be able to deal w/ cars that have the tire & suspension goodies against lesser competition.

My point was for him to run the 615s & really push himself to work on his driving, so that when he makes the jump to r-comps--he'll be ready...
Old Jun 17, 2007, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

find out if your region runs with a street tire modifier or not. some do some dont. if you do then you still can be competative in upper classes with street tires because of the modifier. a couple of STIs out here on street rubber even put corvettes on race rubber to shame in raw times. it can be done it all depends on your region and that tire modifer.

285s fit with rolled fenders.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1
I run SM & we have some National trophy level drivers in the area. A really strong driver will be able to deal w/ cars that have the tire & suspension goodies against lesser competition.

My point was for him to run the 615s & really push himself to work on his driving, so that when he makes the jump to r-comps--he'll be ready...
I figure with the competition i have, and how many people telling me I CANT do it.. Itl be enough motivation to get my driving where it needs to be
Old Jun 17, 2007, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostinpsi
find out if your region runs with a street tire modifier or not. some do some dont. if you do then you still can be competative in upper classes with street tires because of the modifier. a couple of STIs out here on street rubber even put corvettes on race rubber to shame in raw times. it can be done it all depends on your region and that tire modifer.

285s fit with rolled fenders.

can you explain the street tire modifier? Is that some sort of..handicap?
Old Jun 17, 2007, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wrote off anything but friendly competition for at least this entire season. I have way too much fun switching cars and trying to learn the limits of everything for me to take it seriously. The competition is also too tight-lipped to be of any use to me as a learning tool.

My suggestion is to find another friend so you can either co-drive or ride with for as many runs as possible. It doesn't matter what class you choose; unless you are the next hotshoe, you won't be competitive in any class. With your friend, you can vie for honors between the two of you without every having to worry about others or how build-to-the-rules your car is.

-Jon
Old Jun 17, 2007, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Quick Reply: Little advise needed about autoX class choices.