Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Question for those who datalog

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2008, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for those who datalog

With the availability of ECUFLash, EVOScan and the like, data logging and DIY flashing has become very common in the EVO community over the last couple of years. I think we are very lucky to have these resources available to us, it used to be that only tuners or those who ran a standalone EM had these capabilities, but not anymore. Now anyone with a laptop computer and the basic understand of how an engine works can tinker with their tune until their car or keyboard breaks.

This brings me to my question and the reason for making this thread; where in the car do you keep your laptop when you're on the road course or auto-xing, and how do you secure it?

I've tried using velcro under the seat to fasten my laptop but it always winds up coming loose somehow. If you've rigged something up and it works well I'd like to see it. Or if not, does anyone make a device that can secure a laptop under the extream G's our cars see?
Old Jan 30, 2008, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just keep it on the passenger side floor. my interior is still carpeted, so i really don't care if it gets tossed around. laptops are pretty hardy.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Don't use a laptop, use a PDA.

d
Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dexmix
i just keep it on the passenger side floor. my interior is still carpeted, so i really don't care if it gets tossed around. laptops are pretty hardy.
seriously, you don't secure it at all?? If I did that after my first warmup lap the computer would be upside down in the back on the floor with all the wires unplugged.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donour
Don't use a laptop, use a PDA.

d
that would be an option if PDA's worked with EVOScan or ECUFlash. Right now I think the closest you can get is the pocket PC...
Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

I have one of those seat back organizers for maps and such. I flip it around and put the laptop in the largest pouch.

Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
that would be an option if PDA's worked with EVOScan or ECUFlash. Right now I think the closest you can get is the pocket PC...
Well, that's what I meant. Something that you can mount on the dash.

Another little known fact. I can log from my Xede at 100hz with my Dell Axim.

d
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chrisw
I have one of those seat back organizers for maps and such. I flip it around and put the laptop in the largest pouch.

^^^ thats an interesting idea! I'll have to check my local pepbrothers and see what they have.

Anyone else...
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donour
Well, that's what I meant. Something that you can mount on the dash.

Another little known fact. I can log from my Xede at 100hz with my Dell Axim.

d
well I already have a PDA w/pocketlogger but since I stopped using an SAFC, and started using ECUFlash, two years ago I haven't touched it. I'd rather not spend a grand or more on a new laptop when I can spend a fraction of that to secure the one I currently have.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 12:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
maxQ data aq claims that laptops get fubared regularly on a roadcourse and highly recommend (and sell) pocket PC's to go with their systems.

All in all it seems like a better way to go (for their systems), but if i had an old clunkly laptop i didn't care about, I might use that.

I would assume you could use adapters to connect other systems to a Windows mobile based pocket pc, but I dunno.

- Andrew
Old Jan 30, 2008, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
maxQ data aq claims that laptops get fubared regularly on a roadcourse and highly recommend (and sell) pocket PC's to go with their systems.

- Andrew
I don't doubt it. My Thinkpad has a shock detection system that automatically shuts down the hard drive whenever it detects shock to prevent damage to it (lots of spining parts and sensitive readers bouncing around = not good). I can't even drive down the street with the laptop sitting on a thick towel (trying to cushion it) on the passenger seat without the hard drive shutting down. So whenever I go datalog, I have to shut off the shock protection system.

Anyways... you can get a laptop with solid state hard drive now for $600. No moving parts means nothing to break due to shock Also, having a laptop loose in the car during a track day is just a bad idea, even in that pouch thing. You get into a hard enough accident/spin/off course, and that 3-5 lb laptop just became a projectile.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Anyways... you can get a laptop with solid state hard drive now for $600. No moving parts means nothing to break due to shock Also, having a laptop loose in the car during a track day is just a bad idea, even in that pouch thing. You get into a hard enough accident/spin/off course, and that 3-5 lb laptop just became a projectile.
very true, which is the whole reason I started this thread.

I don't have an issue with the CPU shutting down on me from shock, I just want to keep everything in-place while I'm racing. If the USB cable comes out and I lose all my data I'll be pissed (happened several times already).
Old Jan 30, 2008, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
No moving parts means nothing to break due to shock
There are still fans.

d

Mostly these days I use my MaxQData system though...
Old Jan 31, 2008, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Bump for more info. I looked at MaxQ's systems, looks like it's around 900 bucks when it's all said and done to get the PDA + pro version of their hardware + the software. I also found the Asus Zee laptops. These little guys have a 2 to 4 gig solid state hard drive, 512 ram, and a 7 inch screen. They come with Linux but also claim it's XP compat. Also has 2 USB's. So for those of you with a Zetronix wideband, and use Mitsulogger like me, could log both AND store it in the glove box. Device starts at 299 and as we all know the software is free.

Which brings up the other question. WHAT, as road racers, DO we want to log? Personally i'd go for the usual suspects - afr, boost, knock sum, egt etc. to see if i had the boost set too high for the tune/gas i was using and what not. But if i got just the laptop...for 400 bucks or so, that is ALL i could see.

Which also brings us back to the MaxQ. Supp, you can log ALL of that stuff + have the GPS of the track data, all in one unit you mount somewhere where you can see it and have it secure. Hmmmm tempting. Ebay reviles some PDA's that Max recomms. but they are also 299 and above. Which route would you take?
Old Feb 1, 2008, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 to everything Balrok said/asked. I'm also in a bit of a quandary. I don't own a laptop at all, but want to be able to log/flash. I have never used a PDA period, but this seems like a good option. I'm not into spending a lot for a PC laptop (flame me, but I use Mac), especially not to have in the car while I am racing.