Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

GT-R Spec V--an unbeatable SM Weapon?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2008, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT-R Spec V--an unbeatable SM Weapon?

I know this will be highly controversial, but something to think abt...

Now, I'm not talking abt the 'base' GT-R, but the not-yet-released Spec V model.

http://jalopnik.com/376759/2010-nissan-gt+r-spec-v

--Possibly 300# lighter
--550 HP (probably underrated like the base GT-R)
--Carbon Fiber body panels
--Ceramic brakes
--Looking to run 7:24s (!..!..!) @ the 'Ring

*It can probably be stripped down to 3300# w/ a light fuel load & run 315s all around w/ some fender rolling. ***EDIT*** (may not be possible w/ CF panels).
*Some extra boost & bolt-ons will probably yield 650-700bhp w/ a race gas setting.
*That highly sophisticated AWD system seems to be the new holy grail.

An Evo killer--as in, mine???

I love my Evo, through its development, it's becoming the greatest Auto-X weapon I've ever driven--but who knows how good the above could really be <scratches head>

Last edited by GTB/ZR-1; Apr 8, 2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1
*It can probably be stripped down to 3300# w/ a light fuel load & run 315s all around w/ some fender rolling. ***EDIT*** (may not be possible w/ CF panels).
Run it in SP and just hack off the bits that rub.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
It apparently already went 7:25....

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/08/n...tun-observers/

The one downside is that the car is a bit big; I was at an auto-x where some guy in a Viper showed up. He had a bit of a hard time making it through the slalom

I'd imagine that the stock turbos on the GTR are good for about 600whp. Slap on some R-compounds and hold on!
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

I think it will be a great track car, but Im just not so sure that big of a car will be nimble enough for auto-x. I saw a few in person while I was in Japan, they are massive vehicles
Old Apr 9, 2008, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Way too big to own at Autox.... Not only that very very few people that can afford that car will be autoxing it. How many Lambos do you see knocking over cones?
Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

It is massive. You can get an evo weight lower and get 500awhp not to mention fit 315 all around. You won't have the attesa awd system but you will have a lot more money in the bank.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

It really depends on how many are produced. If the production numbers are sufficient, the car would be classed in Super stock at a minimum.

I think that would put it into SM2 with the other Vettes and porches that would otherwise be in SM.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

One of the guys in my local club has a regular GT-R coming. He currently has an STi, and incidentally got me converted to AWD from high HP Vettes (for Solo) by letting me drive his STi any time I asked (nice guy!)

He told me he wants me to drive it when it comes in--who am I to argue?

It the heavier, regular version does well in stock trim--we're in trouble in SM, IMO...

BTW, I'd buy & campaign one, after the hype (read: big $$) dies down--IF it performs the way I think could...

Since my Evo is so awesome now, maybe they'll do an even trade
Old Apr 9, 2008, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chrisw
It really depends on how many are produced. If the production numbers are sufficient, the car would be classed in Super stock at a minimum.

I think that would put it into SM2 with the other Vettes and porches that would otherwise be in SM.
Its a 4-seater, so it goes in SM. Given the price and performance potential of the car, and the current feeling around the SCCA about AWD, it will go straight to ASP. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Besides, no one makes 20" R-compounds.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 06:43 PM
MD@
Evolving Member

I saw and sat in one of the new GT-R's at Nissan's Ginza HQ showroom in Japan (open to the public). The car really is large. I'm wondering what the V-Spec will actually take out of the car. There were more buttons and displays in that thing than anybody should know what to do with. I'm curious to see what the weight could be if you stripped down a new GT-R to the bare essentials to run. Although that's not really very SP legal.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MD@
I saw and sat in one of the new GT-R's at Nissan's Ginza HQ showroom in Japan (open to the public). The car really is large. I'm wondering what the V-Spec will actually take out of the car. There were more buttons and displays in that thing than anybody should know what to do with. I'm curious to see what the weight could be if you stripped down a new GT-R to the bare essentials to run. Although that's not really very SP legal.
The latest I saw was that 330# have been taken out of the base car, so that's abt 3470 w/ a full tank (which will, incidentally, be lighter than the new X!).
Take abt 90# out for a low fuel laod & maybe another 100-150# can be taken out by implementing SM-legal rule mods. That's gets it down to 3230-3280ish.

Certainly not a lightweight, but not that much heavier than my 3000# VIII. The biggest obstacle will obviously be its physical size.

The grip & power will be immense...
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:39 AM

I used to own the old R33 GT-R and it easily outhandled the Evo VIII I have now in the tight. The ATESSA system is amazing at getting the right power to the right wheels and aftermarket controllers are available to allow you to tweak the power split based on conditions by modifying the input from the lateral G sensor.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 01:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
The width means that it will have to turn sharper than narrower cars like Evos to get through slaloms, but it isn't THAT wide. It's narrower than a new Z06.