Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Toyo RA-1 vs: BFG R-1

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2008, 11:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by stuntman
Full treaddepth RA1s arent bad on the track (and I have yet to chunk them as aparently many people have... I guess i'm not driving at 'that' level yet...

Do you really need the extra few tenths from shaved RA1s? are you competing?

The R1s are similar to the RA1s as they are pretty consistent through a lot of heat cycles. I havn't ran them to the chords but sofar they were pretty good.
You have found the grip level of R1s similar to RA1s? If that's true, then the Toyos would seem like a much better choice given the additional tread depth and wet weather ability.
Old May 15, 2008, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stuntman
Full treaddepth RA1s arent bad on the track (and I have yet to chunk them as aparently many people have... I guess i'm not driving at 'that' level yet...

Do you really need the extra few tenths from shaved RA1s? are you competing?

The R1s are similar to the RA1s as they are pretty consistent through a lot of heat cycles. I havn't ran them to the chords but sofar they were pretty good.
Not trying to argue - just commenting on ease, or at least my slant on it

FYI - I drive at "Putz" level I ain't no Time Attacker

EVO8LTW: I think Stuntman is saying that they're consistent throughout the life (heat cycling) of the tire vs. the R6's that fall off quickly after a certain amount of heat cycles???
Old May 15, 2008, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have found the NT01s to be my favorite tire.

I think they are better than the RA1 ..... so probably similar to the R1.
Old May 16, 2008, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brian Lock of GOTO Racing and driver of the GST 'L' time attack car told me the R1 has similar grip level to a Hoosier RS06 but will last a few more heat cycles. However, the R1 break away characteristics aren't as predictable as the Hoosier.

Either one will easily outgrip an RA1. Just check out the treadwear ratings or the number of points NASA adds for time trials.
Old May 16, 2008, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
I have found the NT01s to be my favorite tire.

I think they are better than the RA1 ..... so probably similar to the R1.
I'm loving my NT01's too. I don't think I'll ever buy RA1's again; the NT01's are just newer technology and better imo. I'll go NT01 or R888 next time around - both are 7 pt tires with NASA and I don't have the funds to run limited life Hoosiers R1's or Hancooks at the track.
Old May 17, 2008, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by meanmud
FYI - I drive at "Putz" level I ain't no Time Attacker
Hahaha - "Time Attacker "

Originally Posted by meanmud
EVO8LTW: I think Stuntman is saying that they're consistent throughout the life (heat cycling) of the tire vs. the R6's that fall off quickly after a certain amount of heat cycles???
Bingo! -I was referring to the tires grip through its lifetime (R1 similar to RA1 in terms of life, but i havn't ran R1s to chords so I dont know if they will still generate a lot of grip until they hit the chords like the RA1s). Sofar, the R1s have sustained their grip through heat cycles pretty well.

Ive driven on the R1s on a 500+whp - EVO, NSX, 350Z, and a 330crank HP 3,700lb Mustang Challenge car. I don't find their break-away to be aggressive or quick like a true racing slick (especially in an AWD car), but they dont have quite a smooth street-car esque breakaway like a RA1 or Hoosier. But they still have a very predictable and controlled break-away.

I find NT01 guy's say they are better than RA1s and vice versa. Having driven on both of them a lot (and R888), they have similar grip levels and lap times, but different characteristics and feel. NT01 is closer to an R888 in terms of characteristic but not as much as the R888. You'll always find people on both sides of the fence swearing by their tire and saying its better than the other. Especially in the NT01/R888/RA1 topic

Old May 18, 2008, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

there is no comparrison between a Toyo Ra-1 and a Bfg R1.

The Bfg R1 is 2-4 seconds faster than a toyo ra-1 depending on the track.
Old May 18, 2008, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

might wanna look at the A048, i ran those after MANY heat cycles and i was still beating up on cars with brand new ra1's i loved every bit of that tire, just a suggestion
Old May 19, 2008, 03:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by jbfoco
there is no comparrison between a Toyo Ra-1 and a Bfg R1.

The Bfg R1 is 2-4 seconds faster than a toyo ra-1 depending on the track.
Good to know. I wonder how they compare to the R888s. I just ran those for the first time this weekend. I wasn't terribly impressed with them. Definitely better than my RE01Rs, but they look pretty worn for only 1 weekend and weren't nearly as sticky as the V710s that I'm used to autocrossing on.
Old May 19, 2008, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

I would love to know the avg time diffs on 888s vs R1s as well.

I had about 1-1.5 seconds a lap on the next fastest car in my group at MidOhio last week. He was a 996 on 888s and I was on RA1s.

He told me that he loved the tires but had trouble getting heat into the fronts. I had trouble not chewing my fronts off.

We seemed pretty equal aside from my ability to pull him on fast sections.
Old May 19, 2008, 06:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by dsycks

I had about 1-1.5 seconds a lap on the next fastest car in my group at MidOhio last week. He was a 996 on 888s and I was on RA1s.

He told me that he loved the tires but had trouble getting heat into the fronts. I had trouble not chewing my fronts off.

I had no trouble getting heat into my R888s this past weekend in 60-70 degree weather. In fact, the rubber was peeling back at the tread pattern ridges at all 4 corners. Even wear across the surface of the tires. Sounds like you were driving a lot harder than the Porsche driver.
Old May 19, 2008, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

I still had a wee bit of a push that I was trying to wrestle. It was worst coming out of Thunder Alley where the car would just push/drift right across to the right. Never out of control but for sure sub optimal.
Old May 19, 2008, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dsycks

Front engine AWD vs Rear engine RWD. Porsches have a tendency to be hard to put heat in the fronts depending on the track due to the light weight in the front.

AWD also easily heats tires better than RWD, mostly do to the scrubbing of power understeer. But I still agree that you were probably driving harder than him.

If he had a 996 C4S (AWD) then he needs to push a little harder in the corners, chances are he's overbraking abd not cornering fast enough.
Old May 19, 2008, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Of course I was driving harder! I wanted to pull the dude!