Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Vorshlag Motorsports Evo X MR Build (STU, TTB, One Lap?)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2008, 09:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vorshlag Motorsports Evo X MR Build (STU, TTB, One Lap?)

Hey guys,
Some might know us, some might not. Allow me to give a brief introduction. We've been designing and building camber plates for BMWs since 2003 and have recently begun branching out into designing plates for Evos (8/9/10), Subaru, Minis, Mustangs and more as our customers buy different vehicles. We have camber plates on the street still running with original bearings in prototype plates from 2003. They are extremely overbuilt.

Pre-production plates built for Mark Berry's F Prepared Beast

We're also the importer for AST Suspension (The Netherlands). AST builds single, double and triple adjustable dampers that are designed for street, track, and endurance racing. Importing them also means we are the rebuild/revalve center for AST Stateside. Need something custom and we do it here in Texas. Again, we're primarily a suspension manufacturer. You won't see any big turbos, exhaust etc. coming from us. We either make it ourselves or partner with other companies as we go. And if you have a favorite shop, ask for us. We sell through a dealer network as well.

Mainly what I wanted to talk about was our new toy, an Evo X MR. We're in the DFW area so naturally you head to Don Herring. We met with Don Jr. and got the ball rolling purchasing a WW '08 Evo X MR. Why the MR? Well, if you read the build on our site, you'll see what we're trying to build, the ultimate multi-purpose car. Street, track, autocross, you name it and we'll do it. If you haven't met Don Herring Jr. you need to. He supports the local community more than any dealer I've ever met. In fact, he had a Ralliart release party Saturday that was great and sponsors local track and autocross events. Thanks Don!

First test prior to our first find, the now infamous "SLOW DOWN" on the dash.

So far we've designed the camber plates, prototypes are in production. AST has shipped the first set of AST 4200s (double adjustable, no reservoir, great for NASA TT rules). Two weekends at ECR showed some serious camber loss and body roll. We'll fix both shortly. We'll be testing the new setup at Motor Sport Ranch or ECR this month when AST comes in town to test 5 new models we're releasing.

We're building our own 3" cat back for now and ditching the factory battery for a DEKA. The Evo needs a diet! We're searching for light 18x10s for the 275s we'll run in NASA Time Trials. They might end up being CCWs at this point. Cobb Tuning downloaded the MR code off our car and is testing their programming against the MR. They found the GT-R's semi-automatic required special attention during shifts so they'll do the same careful testing with the SST.

The car will primarily run in NASA TT-B (moving to TT-A eventually) and SCCA's STU autocross class. We're hopeful we can make One Lap as well with the car. We'll probably take it along with our LS1 powered BMW for GRM's UTCC at VIR next year.

Thanks for listening. The full write up is in our forum and has a GSR we weighed, the MR's weight, wheel weights for both cars as a comparison and our tranny cooler fan mod.

http://vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6369

More pics as well.

http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/gallery/...98596230_TKc7d

Last edited by hancheyb; Nov 10, 2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Brian and AST/Vorshlag are good guys, Glad you finally got on here.

Ryan

Edit: And the AST doubles Rock, simply incredible they can make a shock that good for a price I can afford

Last edited by RaNGVR-4; Nov 10, 2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

Good luck with the car, and good luck with the NASA events, will be cool to see another X out there!

Ryan
Old Nov 11, 2008, 06:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BlackTrack
Good luck with the car, and good luck with the NASA events, will be cool to see another X out there!

Ryan
And you're the reason TT-B looks so good. If you guys haven't seen Ryan's drive that Evo, it's a treat. He was turning lap times consistent with 2400 lb, 300 whp BMWs in GTS 5. Pretty amazing. Great job btw.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Very nice. Have fun out there.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 07:31 AM
Former Sponsor

The car looks great! Good luck out there.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 07:49 AM

do one lap. the more mid-price sedan competition the better.

luke
Old Nov 11, 2008, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Neat. It'll be interesting to see how the X compares in STU.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 09:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by spool_sample
We have the fortune of being able to rent Mineral Wells (60 acres of asphalt). In past years we've tested E36 M3s, E46 M3s, Evo 9, and '05 STI using data acquisition equipment so we'll have those as baselines. Andy Hollis usually comes with his skills and national championship car so we have a good car to test against with street tires. Now we have Mark Berry in his FP car to run against our XP BMW as well.

The site is so big we setup a 200' skidpad, 11 cone slalom, 30s course, and a practice oval. Usually we run the test in late January but that happens to be a NASA weekend next year. Have to get it in sometime though.

The MR transmission could offer a huge advantage in tight autocrosses where you wouldn't downshift to first normally. We're excited to give it a try. The weight? Not so much of an advantage. haha

Last edited by hancheyb; Nov 11, 2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by spool_sample
I've been running N-STU all year. So far my car is not really competitive here in Dallas (where STU is SUPER competitive), but it's not the car's fault. It's all driver. When a better driver jumps in and shaves 4 seconds off my best time (on a 89 second course), the first time he sits in my car, you know it's all driver
Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by goofygrin
I've been running N-STU all year. So far my car is not really competitive here in Dallas (where STU is SUPER competitive), but it's not the car's fault. It's all driver. When a better driver jumps in and shaves 4 seconds off my best time (on a 89 second course), the first time he sits in my car, you know it's all driver
Who was that?
Old Nov 11, 2008, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Jeremy Foley
Old Nov 12, 2008, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hancheyb
Who was that?
Datalog from that sad day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiW8P4-z9DM
Old Nov 12, 2008, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

My codriver and I met Terry Fair and his wife at Nats this year. Def cool people. They brought several sets of AST's for a couple friends of ours.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 09:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
AST and Vorshlag does great stuff. Good to see you guys over here.

- Andrew (from RCE)

Quick Reply: Vorshlag Motorsports Evo X MR Build (STU, TTB, One Lap?)