Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Gates311: 2008 Super Lap Battle (vid)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2008, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gates311: 2008 Super Lap Battle (vid)

I had been promising more info on the latest round of mods and a full video From Super Lap for awhile now, so here goes...

Latest mods (before Super Lap):

FP Red turbo
AMS Fuel Surge tank
AMS Prototype 02 Housing
AMS Cold air intake pipe
AMS 110 Tune
AMS A/C Delete kit Injectors
Cusco Rear LSD 1.5 way

AND

More weightloss: 210.4 #'s removed. The car ended up being close to 3,300 w/fuel and me in it

You all know how I feel about the FP Red (I love it), but another thing that I really really really like is the AMS Fuel Surge tank kit. No more full tank on track, I ran the car with the gas light on the whole time, no fuel cut, no issues what so ever. I kept telling Martin how much I loved it out there hahaha, I really do. It's a MUST for any track driven Evo X.

The Cusco Rear LSD is amazing. After about 350ish whp the X starts to slowly understeer on corner exit, which is a real pain. The Cusco Rear LSD, cured any hint of on throttle understeer, it made the car so neutral on throttle....and throttle oversteer is easy with the FP Red {thumbup** Love this LSD, makes the car much more predictable, and you have full control over what goes on.

Driving the car after these changes was a huge shock. It was so much faster, and it oversteers! Haha it took me a few sessions on track to get used to it all, but after getting used to it the car really shined. In the first practice session of the day at Super Lap I was out there getting all the last minute lines down and making sure the car was perfect.

We all knew the first timed session would be the fastest, so I headed out knowing I needed to do my best. After a few laps, I pulled into the hot pits and the Nitto guys took tire temps and air pressures. After some adjustments I headed out for 2 more hot laps. On the lap I did the 1:56.72, it felt good, but I knew there was more time out there, I had made a few mistakes and braked too late in 3 corners. Oh well. I tried all day to beat my (and Nils with 1:56.67) but I couldn't do it. There was dirt everywhere on the track for the 2nd session, and the third session had cooled off and I couldn't do any better.

So I finished up 2nd. Nils won in his Evo VIII RS, and AMS came in 3rd in the shop T/A X (driven by Martin!!!) Congrats to them both, the competition was so close, it really made things fun! You both drove great! I will say I am sorry for being so salty afterwards, I was just really bummed. I had really high (below 1:55's) expectations but I couldn't get it done, and I was just really pissed off. Anyways, I'm over it now.

I have to thank everyone for their awesome support of me and the car for the event:

AMS Performance - Everyone there has been awesome! Even under a time crunch, you guys got everything done, perfectly. Chris' tune was spot on, the car ran AMAZING. Justin got the suspension aligned great, and the technician who did the work on the car (I think Eric??), and Arne's help with the stickers. Everything looked great, THANKS to everyone at AMS. I appreciate it.

Girodisc - The brakes were amazing out there as usual, everything held up awesome, There wasn't any issues with brake fade, even with the hard 20 min sessions. These rotors are the real deal, thanks!

Forced Performance - Thanks for getting the turbo sent out so fast. It has transformed the car, so much power! The power is instant. I can't say enough about the FP Red, thanks Robert!

Nitto Tires - Thanks for trusting me to debut the NT05, the are great tires. The grip is awesome on them and they hold up awesome. GREAT tire for Street Class guys {thumbup**

Cusco - Thanks for getting the LSD sent out fast. It works so awesome, one of my favorite mods to the car ever!

Darkside Engineering - Thanks to Logan for getting the TI Lugs out to me. They are sooooooo sick...and light!

Robispec - Thanks for your help all year, and the help with learning the track at Buttonwillow. I have a very hard time there, thanks for calming me down a bit.

Exedy USA - The Stage II clutch has held up surprisingly awesome! Even with the added power and 5 straight days, it took the beating no problem!

Myself - Thanks for gettin all the weight out of the car! Sucks you drove poorly in the event, but I guess it happens.

If you have any specific questions on anything, please post and I'll get ya the info.

Here is a video from the event, shot by my friend Scott, thanks! Enjoy the full vid, sorry bout the quality, I don't know why it sucks so much.

***Video***

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCKBwSBfEKw&fmt=18

http://www.vimeo.com/2423251

And some photos:

Ryan

Last edited by BlackTrack; Dec 4, 2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the videos . I think there are two versions of the Cusco Rear LSD MZ or RS 1.5 way right? Which version did you go with?
Old Dec 4, 2008, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

all good.... funny cause I was expecting to be in the 55's & was bummed to not get there too.. were both competitive nut jobs....

but bro... your the best driver ive seen in a long time... so big ups for that

next year street class will be in the 54's at slb.... & thats just nuts on street tires.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

This car makes me want a X bad! Evertime I see it. The lat pic has been my laptop background for awhile now.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nils
all good.... funny cause I was expecting to be in the 55's & was bummed to not get there too.. were both competitive nut jobs....

but bro... your the best driver ive seen in a long time... so big ups for that

next year street class will be in the 54's at slb.... & thats just nuts on street tires.
Thanks for the compliment Nils, I appreciate it. You've been great for so long, it's nice to hear it from you.

Next year will be insane. Should be interesting for sure.

Originally Posted by wshihdnevo
This car makes me want a X bad! Evertime I see it. The lat pic has been my laptop background for awhile now.
Thanks! You should get one, they are pretty good cars
Old Dec 4, 2008, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
*mutters under his breath about the X's getting AYC and the other goodies haha*

Nice vid bro, keep up the pace!
Old Dec 4, 2008, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
*mutters under his breath about the X's getting AYC and the other goodies haha*

Nice vid bro, keep up the pace!
Hahaha the funny thing is that the car doesn't have AYC anymore

Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2008, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

gates311-
you seem like you take racing pretty serious. from watching your vid, you drive really good.
my question is, without any other upgrades, what could you have done to lower the time a little more? i know this must of cross your mind, because you would not be at your level without thinking that way. i am just trying to understand a racer's mindset.
also if nils could make a few comments on this!
thanks
Old Dec 4, 2008, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

i miss managed my tire pressures during the money sessions.... & we prolly coulda set the sway bar on full loose to take some of the OS out.... but overall it was good n fun
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackTrack
Hahaha the funny thing is that the car doesn't have AYC anymore

Thanks!
It's funny I have been saying for a long time when fanboys mention the AYC in bated breath that the hardcore UK track guys always end up tearing the AYC out anyway.

Now you are doing the same thing in America.

Last edited by razorlab; Dec 4, 2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 06:22 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Awesome vid both of you... envy either of you because I'm covered in snow right now and no racing for me.

Nils, 2 questions:

1) What's the red light that comes on in your dash every incar vid I've seen?

2) Who's the hot babe in the purple shirt??
Old Dec 5, 2008, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Great job. Big congrats to both of you
You guys really make things out there interesting
Old Dec 5, 2008, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fireball
Awesome vid both of you... envy either of you because I'm covered in snow right now and no racing for me.

Nils, 2 questions:

1) What's the red light that comes on in your dash every incar vid I've seen?

2) Who's the hot babe in the purple shirt?? {thumbup**
he he... 1, is the oil temp warning.. gonna fix that for good .. got a plan.... 2, is my crazy wife.. gonna fix her too... got a plan..

n
Old Dec 5, 2008, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by socalmr
gates311-
you seem like you take racing pretty serious. from watching your vid, you drive really good.
my question is, without any other upgrades, what could you have done to lower the time a little more? i know this must of cross your mind, because you would not be at your level without thinking that way. i am just trying to understand a racer's mindset.
also if nils could make a few comments on this!
thanks
There were a few issues with the car I would've liked to have fixed, and maybe more time Buttonwillow. Nils and I both know our cars are capable of 1:55, ohhhh well.

Originally Posted by razorlab
It's funny I have been saying for a long time when fanboys mention the AYC in bated breath that the hardcore UK track guys always end up tearing the AYC out anyway.

Now you are doing the same thing in America.
Someone's gotta do it
Originally Posted by Evo8
Great job. Big congrats to both of you {thumbup**
You guys really make things out there interesting {thumbup**
Thanks man, Nils really is a great guy to compete with, very humble I might add.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

I'm really looking forward to being on the track with you guys next season

Quick Reply: Gates311: 2008 Super Lap Battle (vid)