Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Recommend me some brake pads (AutoX & Track possible?)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Recommend me some brake pads (AutoX & Track possible?)

I've got the adapters so I can run VIII/IX pads, so they don't have to be X specific although if I could get away from the adapters I'd be pleased.

Right now I've got Ferodo DS2500's and they are "ok" (but VERY loud) but they are about gone. On the track they simply get roasted slowing the heavy X down from high speeds.

I'd like to not have to buy 2 sets of pads (one for track and one for AutoX). Is there one pad that will work well for me?

I'm looking for heavy initial bite and the ability to handle heat. I was smelling pad yesterday on a 48second autocross course by the end of the day.

AutoX I run r-comps and track I run street tires (Star Specs for now, NT-05s before May).

I'll likely be 350hp or less for the foreseeable future (ya I've hear that before!).

I was thinking Hawk HT10's...

I'm a little concerned about rotor wear. I've already had to resurface my stock rotors (at around 13k miles). I figure I'll get another 6-8k miles on the stock rotors and I'll resurface them again if they are still in spec or replace them. I'm not concerned enough about rotor wear to accept worse braking.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Street and autox I LOVE the porterfield R4-S. They won't stand up on the track though. Mine have 30k miles and 3 yrs of autoxing and still have material. No warped rotors, nothing. Moderate dust.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Racing Brake 800 series pads or 900 series pads if you really mash the brake pedal. If you PM me, I have a discount code for RB hardware. You can basically buy 3 sets for the price of 2 sets of Hawks also!
Old Mar 22, 2009, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

There really isn't a pad that is perfect for autox and track. For autox you want something that has good bite at lower temps. For the track you want something that will take more heat and work best at higher temps. A pad that I have used with pretty good success at both is the Hawk HP+ though. With 2 piece rotors, good brake fluid and the factory brake ducts they worked well for track days and autox.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

the Hawk HP+ have worse temperature range than the Ferodos I'm running now (0-700 v. 100-1000)...

The Racing Brake 800 looks like it might be a good alternative too!
Old Mar 22, 2009, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Here is what I am doing/have done for the last few years:

AX/Street:
Front - GranSport GS5's (like the DS2500s in terms of grip - zero noise though)
Rear - Axxis ULT's

Track:
Front - swap in Hawk HT10's
Rear - Axxis ULT's

I only swap out the front pads. At least for me, the rears never got as hot as the fronts (IR gun).
Old Mar 22, 2009, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

I burned up some HP+'s on the track, I also charcoaled a set of Ferodo DS2500's on the track. I am going to use PFC97 race pads (which are HT-10's) Same company, same pad, different names on the boxes, don't ask me why. I don't have any experience yet but I have heard good things about wear, heat range, and pedal feel. They are noisy though from what I hear, so I prob will not run them on the street.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Performance Friction and Hawk are not the same company. Nor the same pad.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ct-thread.html

HP+, DS2500 - not track pads.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 06:22 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you dont feel ferodo is a track pad?

i love the ds2500 for track use... we use it alot..

ive done development brake testing for Hawk, Performance friction, Ferodo, and a few others...and all carbon testing...

you need to decide what "characteristics" you like or dislike..

for me, the ferodo compounds always have the best engagement and release behavior...

cb
Old Mar 22, 2009, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

I have IR gunned my brakes after a cool down lap (duct here too) at 900+ F. The DS2500s MOT is 1000F - so under laps I would have more than 1000F - out of the DS2500's range.

I agree on the characteristics - I've had sets that didn't feel great to me, be it bite or release.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
I'm not concerned enough about rotor wear to accept worse braking.
I could peddle Hawk DTC-30s some more in this thread, but since you don't care about rotor wear and you have a porky X on R-compounds, then I think DTC-60s or 70s would work well.

They will EASILY stand up to whatever punishment you can throw at them for auto-x or track, but you will probably be going through two sets of rotors per set of pads (this is the case on a Z06, anyway). They will also cover your entire car in dust after every event and make tons of noise.

The DTC-30 (or maybe a Carbotech XP8) will be more road-friendly and is a better dual-duty pad, but you will sacrifice some bite and they aren't rated for as high of temps.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

I bought some used HT10's just now for the track... so we'll see how those hold up

I'm looking at the GranSport GS5 for street/autox. They seem like a great bang for the buck!
Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

I went away from them (because I was not thinking) to HPS's -- totally sucked. Very happy to be back on my GS5's.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:40 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah i accidentally said "these pads suck" once in testing.. next thing i know my engineer said, "chad, this is john from hawk, care to tell him why?"

hee heee

cb
Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

I think you have their ear

For me, HPS's glazed over, deposited material on my rotors, and took a lot more effort to stop on the street.

But I love the HT10s.

Quick Reply: Recommend me some brake pads (AutoX & Track possible?)