Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Good place to purchase a transponder for NASA...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2009, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good place to purchase a transponder for NASA...

Anything you guys could recommend?

I wasn't planning on running since I decided not to do TT this year, but I've got an email from the director asking me for one while running HPDE 4.

How does it work with NASA, how do you sync. them and so forth?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know but I'm in DE4 in the MA region and I don't need one. However, I'd be interested in knowing an answer to your question since I'm considering TT.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind, AMB?

http://www.amb-it.com/sports-transponders-c-22_24.html

d
Old Apr 6, 2009, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

You need an AMB transponder. IIRC i bought mine from Pegasus:

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=AMB

I also think there are some vendor links on the NASA site. If not, you can try searching online, then ask if they provide any sort of NASA discount. Unless you find some really special deal, last i recall, everyone sells them for the same price. I remember like 2 years ago there was some really special group buy deal, but that was rare. AMB transponders are one of the few items that you will probably not find special deals on for a new one. Btw, if you do a search, Pegasus will come up as one of your options. Good luck.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 04:45 AM
djh
Evolving Member

It's going to run you $300+ no matter where you get it. There can't be more than a few bucks in electronics in these things, but they are built pretty well. Just fill in your tx number at registration. The transponder echoes its number when it goes over a timing loop.

Dave
Old Apr 7, 2009, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, it's like a standard set price. Only options are the battery ones, or the hardwired setup.

The hardwired does have a draw on the battery, if you just use it as a track car, but if thats the case, you probably have an electrical shutoff for the car also.

Also, theres no reason not to run TT instead of HPDE 4. Same run group, you just get your lap times, and compete in TT.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

More of the same...

I bought one last year; searched for a discount but didnt' find anything. Searched for a used one for a bit, but no luck. I went with the hard-wired one. Be sure to unplug it if you're using a mini-bat and the car is parked for weeks on end!

Everything will be posted up to mylaps.com If you buy a used one; you'll need to re-register it to get your name on it. Mount it low and facing the right direction; that's about it.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, and if it doesn't work after a few sessions.... send it back.

I got a factory defective one, and they sent a new one out immediately. Was a pain in the butt though, and had to rent one that weekend, because of it.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
yeah, it's like a standard set price. Only options are the battery ones, or the hardwired setup.

The hardwired does have a draw on the battery, if you just use it as a track car, but if thats the case, you probably have an electrical shutoff for the car also.

Also, theres no reason not to run TT instead of HPDE 4. Same run group, you just get your lap times, and compete in TT.
Even though I'm an instructor with NASA I didn't plan on running any events this year, thus didn't go with TT program, opportunity came up to run this weekend at Mid-Ohio, so I decided to go, but then got a message from Linda about a transponder. Just have to rent on now at the track, but will keep in mind when decide to come back to NASA again.

Thanks though for all the helpful info guys!
Old Apr 7, 2009, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

I hear ya. I'm not the biggest NASA fan, but it's the only competitive option thats reasonable, imo.

I'm sure they're asking for it, but I don't know that it's required...

If you're up here, you should check out Chin Motorsports/Traquest... i know they run an even around memorial day at Mid-O. Ran it before.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

I just love Mid-Ohio, and try to run everything that is coming that way. Didn't care much about competition before. I love doing Redline Time Attack, that's where the competition is around (at least to me), Mid-Ohio and NASA event is more of a Test and Tune, make sure the car runs properly, do all kinds of adjustments. But hey - with NASA it's free for me, so I try not to pass it up.
Again, I'm not bashing on NASA (and honestly think that SCCA is worse), I'm just not really feeling it as far as competition goes. Great athmosphere though.

I kinda wish they had Evo spec class or something of that sort though, would be cool (like they have the Miata and Focurs and so forth).
Old Apr 8, 2009, 03:08 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, Mid-O's a blast. had a good time out there. Chin was the same for me, instructed with them for a few years, til i sold the car last summer.

Might have to end up out at a few events, just spectating. Been a while, getting the itch again.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 05:07 AM
djh
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
Except for those of us who can't find the time to make more than a couple events a year. I like to let people know that since I'm just out there for fun with no TT "livery I'll let someone who's gunning for a fast lap get by easy -- I let 'em have a corner instead of making them take it.

Dave
Old Apr 8, 2009, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

so just go out and compete for those few events...

Don't you guys line up by lap times after the first session? Always worked great for us.

We all did the same too. You went out and ran 2-3 fast laps, cooled down and went at it again.... always giving room when not full out. I guess Mid-O would be a little tighter than sebring though.