Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Why doesn't anyone professional race Evo's?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2009, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SCCA Speed Challenge permits it, but anybody with a Mitsubishi would be going up against factory backed teams. Cadillac dominates the GT series with the CTS-V, against Porsches and Corvettes. The only hope would be Touring Car, IMO and Mazda and Acura are heavily involved as factory backed teams. BMW's are present too.

http://www.world-challenge.com/series.php?page=carfacts

Last edited by GPTourer; Apr 9, 2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason: clarity and factual
Old Apr 9, 2009, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

dup post
Old Apr 9, 2009, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GPTourer
SCCA Speed Challenge permits it, but anybody with a Mitsubishi would be going up against factory backed teams. Cadillac dominates the series with the CTS-V. The only hope would be Touring Car, IMO and Mazda and Acura are heavily involved as well as BMW if I am not mistaken.

http://www.world-challenge.com/series.php?page=carfacts

The BMW efforts are private AFAIK. Although anything backed by Turner motorsports has lots and lots of dollars behind it.

Mazda and Acura are factory backed efforts via RealTime Racing and Tri-Point Engineering.

Scorke
Old Apr 9, 2009, 01:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by scorke
ALLL ALMS cars have factory involvement except for maybe the busted Ford GT.

The cars that race in ALMS are all Homologated, if you know what that means you know that means the factory is heavily involved.

You have NO idea how much development goes into those cars from year to year, and even within season.

Sorry but you DON"T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT..

Scorke
LG Motorsports in GT2 is a privateer

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Apr 9, 2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Welcome to class Monaco. Don't be late again.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Yes but Porsche's still on-site to assist, at every race. When you buy those cars new and promise to compete (basically prove you have what it takes to) you get Porsche as a package deal, IF you want them. Even if you buy a 917 you'll still have Porshce at the rare Vintage races. Mitsu has yet to back a team on that level, even with that regular Lancer or Speed Challange car mentioned already. They basically give you a car and wave from a distance.

Where-as Mitsu is on-site all the time for the UK and Japan teams.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 03:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
Yes but Porsche's still on-site to assist, at every race. When you buy those cars new and promise to compete (basically prove you have what it takes to) you get Porsche as a package deal, IF you want them. Even if you buy a 917 you'll still have Porshce at the rare Vintage races. Mitsu has yet to back a team on that level, even with that regular Lancer or Speed Challange car mentioned already. They basically give you a car and wave from a distance.

Where-as Mitsu is on-site all the time for the UK and Japan teams.
LG Motorsports runs a Corvette
Old Apr 9, 2009, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
LG Motorsports runs a Corvette
Same thing support wise, except GM Performance or whatever the call themselves runs a much smaller game, sorry, was just after the point
Old Apr 9, 2009, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a lot of talk about factory support. The Mitsubishi Motors global organizational structure seems pretty overwhelming, but does MMNA really have a motor sports division at all? I see the Cypress, CA office is listed as the 'Ralliart USA' HQ, but do they sponsor any teams or events, state-side? Do MMNA dealers even promote the use the Ralliart performance parts in the USDM Evos? Are they even allowed to? Or would they more than likely void your warranty if they saw them As far as we're concerned, should those in the US view Mitsubishi as a manufacturer with no domestic motor sports support all?
Old Apr 9, 2009, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

There should be a tuner challenge series open to AWD cars. Mostly Evolution against Subaru. If Audi shows up the better. Two classes fast and F. fast. Ist class 400hp motor with, stock body . 2cd class 500 hp race engines, lighter wide bodies. Should be a support race for top race series. Get 30 Evo,s and Sti's in two classes and we could see it become something bigger in time. My Evo 8 is now going through the next round of development for NASA super touring 2. My fastest lap last year at Watkins Glen was a high 2:07. This year I expect to run a low 2:04 or better with 376 whp at 2900lbs without driver. Just a few seconds slower than the Pro Porsche GT-3's. Be the end of this season the car should be dialed in and ready for a National Pro Tuner Race Series. Now what sponsor will fork up big cash prizes to attract teams?!?
Old Apr 10, 2009, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

MMNA is struggling to put down black ink. They're laying people off and they just closed their design studio in Cali. I doubt you'll see any support from them any time soon.

This is happening globally, almost all manufacturers are backing off on motorsports.

Ralliart stil hasn't officially been launched in the US.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MonacoGP
For all lthe people citing European, Australian and Japanese series you are making my point. Why not here in America where we can see them run on TV or go to a race in person? Everybody is offering all kinds of off topic answers. My question was why aren't any of the US tuners and aftermarket parts companies doing any professional wheel to wheel racing like they do in the rest of the world. Time attack cars are fine but as was pointed out they wouldn't last in a multi lap race. A road racing car is the best example of making a durable setup power wise for street use. If it doesn't go boom in a professional road race you're probable good to go on the street. Regional club racing and National class club racing is not the same. T1 and T2 as somebody mentioned are essentially stock classes and not professional road racing. No Pontiac Solstice is in any pro racing series. There are pro racing series the Evo's are qualified to run in here in the US why aren't there any or so very very few out there? The answer isn't factory money. Most of the cars in ALMS and SCCA production based racing are not factory involved and are privateer.
Such as? There seem to be plenty of examples to the contrary posted in this thread yet you continue to beat this drum without any specific examples which leads me to believe you're nothing more than a troll.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Good call, forgot about those boys!!!

Again these guys are just Amateurs to Monaco

Scorke
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Jesus Christ, how thick can a person get. OP...why dont you participate in all of the US "Professional" races and give us a report on it......Freaking Takumi, I swear.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scorke
Good call, forgot about those boys!!!

Again these guys are just Amateurs to Monaco

Scorke

Skorke, before I light you up I'll give you a chance to settle down a little. I know plenty about racing, much more than you. I'll leave it at that.

LG, as someone else, is privateer and runs a professional series ALMS. A perfect example, clearly not amateur and I don't know what Scorkel means by his comment. That's not T1 or T2 now is it? Maybe he's confused because I only took issue with calling national class club racing pro racing. It's not. There are many others. Leighton Reese ring a bell? Both of those guys have run various professional series, though I think Reese is out this year, based on their performance shops. LG long tube headers and Reese runs a complete catalog of racing parts down to fasteners. Much of the field in ALMS is privateer. Panoz has no factory backing anymore. What about the Vipers? Dodge isn't giving anything. Porsche is an interesting one. Nearly all privateer. On track tech support? Not as much as you think. Yes you can buy your sealed motor from Andial for $65K which gets you out of potential post race tear downs but you can build the same motor for $25K. Nannamaker and Kelly Moss come to mind but many others.

Cadillac? Out. Cars for sale.

The Mitsubishi has a global tuner market with 1000's of people working to maxamize the performance. It's like having a $50 million engine development program.

For certain the SCCA is allowing Evo's to race and they would be very competitive in the Touring class. There a plenty of people running privateer in SCCA like the BMW's a WRX, VW, Audi and in GT the Vipers, GTO's, Mustangs, Lamborghini, Volvo and Porsches. Some have manufacturer's contigency money but if you think that amounts to much you're wrong.

Bottom line I'm a fan of the Evo because I own one and would like to see them race on the professional level. There are plenty of people that know how to make them fast enough I just wonder why nobody is doing it. For me to get attacked as I have been is uncalled for.

Last edited by MonacoGP; Apr 10, 2009 at 01:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Why doesn't anyone professional race Evo's?