Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Something different for 2010 for the Hillclimb Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2009, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something different for 2010 for the Hillclimb Evo?

Those of you who've been on the boards for a couple years may have seen the buildup on my hillclimb Evo. The goal was pretty simple - build an Evo that would be good & safe for rallying and go have fun playing in the dirt. My wife and I were pleased with how we did in 2008, setting records at our last 3 events which included the Time Attack AWD record at Pikes Peak. We also managed to take home the Colorado Hill Climb Assn. Rally AWD championship. We weren't able to get out to any rally events though, but trying to build a new car always results in budget over-runs.

2009 saw a ton of changes to the car. With all the new-found power, we ran into growing pains during the year, but still managed a respectible season, taking 2nd place at PPIHC (after a blown IC pipe sapped 300hp at the startline), and won the Rally AWD in the Colorado Hill Climb Assn. series. We made it a bit closer to entering a true stage rally, volunteering as a "0" car at Rally Colorado. This got the Evo out on a few of the stages, but no chance to take them at any real speed. Basically, we're finding the budget it takes to stage rally is still out of reach. Note to self...win the lottery.

So, this brings me to planning for 2010. As PPIHC continues to add a mile of pavement every year, the need for developing our car into a tarmac terror increases. I'm thinking about entering some time trials events, along with a healty dose of track days. The car's got a bunch of goodies that normal rally cars don't have, but its a far cry from a good track car in the handling department (onl have include an adjsutable rear sway bar and 17x9.5" wheels).

I've been reading the Redline TA rule book tonight and I've got a question that I'm hoping some of the regulars might be able to shed some light on. There's no way my car would ever be competitive in Unlimited class, so I'm thinking about trying to get it back to being legal in the Modified class. I see there's a rule that requires an "interior" but looking at pictures of cars that compete in that class shows quite a bit of variation on what "interior" means.

Thanks!

Dave
Old Nov 4, 2009, 04:34 AM

I have do not compete in Redline TA yet, but have also been looking at the rules. This is on page 18 of the pdf rules for modified:
Interior Modifications
3.3.1 OEM Dash (including glove box) and OEM Center console must remain. Center arm-rest
can be removed. (2)
3.3.2 OEM front door panels may be removed if a roll cage with side impact protection beams
is installed. If OEM side impact door beams have been removed, a roll cage with side
impact protection is REQUIRED. Front doors can be “gutted” if a roll cage with side
impact protection for the driver is installed.(4: Safety)
3.3.3 Front passenger seat may be removed entirely.

Hopefully this helped.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The headliner and carpet can be removed completely as well.

There is also talk of the new rules not including the requirement to have a center console.

The 2010 rules are due out the end of this month.

Dan
Old Nov 4, 2009, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Hey whats up dave, I am trying to build my car to be more competitive in that class as well. I am not sure what you run for windows, being oem or lexan? But Lexan is prohibited....

other differences are hard to say right now, in there forum there has been talks of changing some aero restrictions, maybe tire change again??

The only real bad part about some of the RTA rules is they let the drivers add there input and try and sway them to make some mods legal if that someone has it but then other things illegal if they don't have that mod! LOL Hopefully for 2010 there is no real changes in the class....
Old Nov 4, 2009, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RTA is definitely an option is you can figure out your class. But it's still very new and there's not a lot of cars 'maxed' out per the rules of each class. Given that, there's some very very expensive slowish cars. But also a handful of well setup rides with very good drivers.

Are there any NASA events in your area? If so, what kind of power/weight ratio would you be tracking? NASA has a bit more level playing ground and might be a better guage of skills for you.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Good to know the new rules will drop shortly. I'm also thinking about running One Lap of America...but not sure if my back can stand being in RaceTech seats for 5,000+ miles.

To answer a few questions:

I never got around to running Lexan in my car, so no problems there. My rear doors are gutted and the glass is fixed in place. Front doors are stock, but I have partially replaced the door card to clear the door "X" from the roll cage. I liked the idea of having a few extra pounds of metal between me and the rocks.

Center console might be an issue, as my shifter is lifted ~6" and I have a hydraulic handbrake. I can put the console back in but it won't be pretty. Somebody once joked at PPIHC that while the rules called for the stock dash to be in the car, the way the rules were written, he could've cut it up into a few pieces and strapped it into the trunk.

There are NASA and SCCA events in Colorado. I'm not sure what I'd do if I ran with those groups, as it might make sense to de-tune the car to be more competitive...but then I suffer from the lag of a big turbo, and the power output of a small turbo. I like the fact that RTA is a bit more 'run what you brung' in that regard. After spending gobs of $$ to make the car quick at PPIHC, I think I've got most of the engine parts to hang with other Modified class cars in terms of power output.

The big thing I realize though, is power is nothing without control...so any handling tips guys?

Dave
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Uh, where to start . Better question, how much you wanna spend .

Handling wise, the object is to rotate just enough without using the handbrake on concrete/pavement running super sticky tires. So are your coils valve/spring/height setup or should you swap to a better combo. Your already semi-seam welded so your already ahead there. All Bushings/adjustable sway bars and end links so you can dial in in the pitt would be nice. Bigger brakes would almost be a must becaus I think you went down in size but I don't remember. Nice pads/rotors/lines the works to go with because you'll be stopping 150+mph with your current power setup. Are you still running that uber tranny, and if so are the gear selections too short? Unless you like a metric ton of heal/toe Oil cooling - dont' remember if you blocked it off and moved it or what not, but with your motor turbo cooling in general might become an issue with 145+ degree track temps we normally see on 80-90 deg days. Bigger wheels and tires to use the grip, take off the mud flaps and all the expensive rally stuff you won't need/might trash. Good start.

Group wise, it'd be easier with Nasa but more competative with Scca. I'd personally go Nasa and TTU, so you don't have to jack with ALOT of stuff. Nasa TTS/U doesn't require a dash either

Last edited by Balrok; Nov 4, 2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Uh, where to start . Better question, how much you wanna spend .
Not sure on the eventual budget, but the lower it is the better. Here's a better rundown of what I've got:

Suspension:
adjustable rear sway bar with adjustable end links
new coilovers will be needed

Brakes:
OEM brembo calipers front & rear
stock rotors
stainless brake lines
dual master cyl. with adjustable balance bar
PF01 compound

Aero:
DHP Composites dual element rear wing
DHP Composites 3d front splitter
Block-off plates for side openings in the front bumper

Wheels:
17x9.5" Enkei NTO-3s +38mm I think
ARP long wheel studs
7, 10, 15, 20mm spacers

Drivetrain:
Shep prepped IX gearbox with JDM 5th gear
Hollinger dogbox (needs refresh) I may sell it to raise $$ for track conversion.
Wavetrac front diff
Carbonetics 1.5way rear diff
MoTeC MDC center diff controller

Engine:
AMS 2.3L stroker
AMS CNC head
Tomei Poncams (260ish)
AMS F1-I intake manifold
AMS v-band turbo kit with HTA35R or TR30R
AMS 3" v-band exhaust with cat or testpipe
AEM ECU tuned on E85

Cooling:
CBRD thin radiator
Mocal laminova Oil/Water Cooler
AMS FMIC
Extensive water sprayer system

Cooling is probably the most problematic thing for me right now. At PMP with ambient temps over 100, with the engine at 22psi I saw no overheating issues. I did have some braking issues so I wasn't going more than 80% though. An AMS ducting kit was installed the next week. At PPIHC I could overheat the car in under 5 minutes at 30-33psi, but keep in mind that I was running the turbo harder than I would be due to the altitude (i.e. hotter charge air for the same boost level), and there's less air to cool the radiator...and we're running up 7-10% grades consistantly.

With my 'off' at the Lands End hillclimb earlier this year, I need to replace the radiator support, and my plan is for a thicker radiator, possibly a dual pass CBRD unit. I'm also looking at the possibility of re-vamping the IC setup so that its less succeptable to damage (i.e. no IC piping low down). I'm considering some sort of a custom radiator support that will allow for easier mounting of my skid plate/splitter, but I haven't decided yet.

Originally Posted by Balrok
Group wise, it'd be easier with Nasa but more competative with Scca. I'd personally go Nasa and TTU, so you don't have to jack with ALOT of stuff. Nasa TTS/U doesn't require a dash either
Dash is staying in the car b/c its the easiest way to have functioning defrost, and I've heard horror stories of guys in Colorado getting the rundown for having cars with no dashboard out on the streets. Thanks for the tips on the classing, I'll take a look at the NASA rule book over the weekend.

Dave