Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2010 STU Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2009, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 STU Discussion

I know the 2009 one wasn't started until January 1st, but it sure hasn't seen any updates this time of year. I am sure I'm not the only one looking at the 2010 schedule and events yet... Let the discussions begin!
Old Dec 16, 2009, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For reference:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...iscussion.html
Old Dec 16, 2009, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks delongedoug, but 2009 autoX is done, and looking into 2010.. any good winter projects? I'm looking to put my newly acquired evo likely into STU...
Old Dec 16, 2009, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

All the prior annual STU threads reference the prior year's for obvious reasons. I'm done in STU, but still think it's the class I would like to prepare for if I were to prepare for a class. TRE has an STU specific rear diff that looks good (I'll be going for the 1.5 max lock, though).
Old Dec 17, 2009, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Are you running in SM or BSP then? or done with the autoX scene with the car completely?
Old Dec 17, 2009, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

SM but will continue to do it for fun regularly with more track days. My next car I would like to start from scratch and prepare with a game plan.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Understood... Nice signature.. doing the same here.. not looking for a 'class limit' build.. but a fun daily driver.. fall where it may in the autox world.. and do some track time at Mid Ohio (in my backyard basically) and Nelson Ledges, etc.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Token: "I don't know, I don't wanna know. I'm out."

...unless somebody wants to rent out a ride.

d
Old Feb 1, 2010, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

anyone getting ready for the 2010 season
Old Feb 1, 2010, 07:13 PM

I'm doing the start from scratch route, but wanted to post my ideas for constructive criticism and for possible referrence later on if other people are curious. For referrence I'm starting with a bone stock IX MR.

I looked over the power threads and noted the budget exhaust is basically a megan 02 or similar, any DP with a cat and 3" catback. I was also planning on doing the P&P'd exhaust mani from Buscher. In reading the rule book for STU it says intake up to compressor inlet so unfortunately that seems to rule out the LICP. The intake doesn't really seem to be needed, but it couldn't hurt. And of course, an STU legal tune. Anything else I'm missing in terms of power that can be found legally?

In regards to suspension, I'm very interested in bushings and if anyone has any resources or links for purchase. It seems the ES bushing kit is good, and from what I've seen it looks legal. I'm also trying to find a legal motor and trans mount kit (which I think limits me to inserts). Pretty much any bushings that can be legally replaced under STU is what I'm looking for. Other than bushings the standard coilovers/springs/bars are being researched still. I have a few ideas, but it seems I need to save my $$ for the right set!

On to the fun stuff for Pro Solos, clutches! In reading the rule book I didn't notice a section under ST* that referrenced clutches, so I assumed it went back to the stock class ruling of "it must be OEM, or like OEM in hardness, size, weight". I'm fine with that, but I'm curious about the restricter pill in the clutch line. As with all rules, if it doesn't list it, then you can't change it, but I was hoping someone might weigh in on this in case I missed something. It seems like any chance of having a two-step launch control implemented would be negated by this restricter pill.

Weight savings seem to be almost a moot point in this class (I'm used to SM rules so it's rather restrictive reading the STU rules). Outside of a mini battery kit, seats (which I do NOT want to change), exhaust, and removing the spare there isn't much else to do.

For bracing, is there anything legal besides a rear strut tower bar? I can't see any of the mustache bars being legal outside of replacing the bushings.

Hopefully this stirs up some good conversation!
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just a few comments:

Originally Posted by mr. happy
I looked over the power threads and noted the budget exhaust is basically a megan 02 or similar,
- Ok

any DP with a cat
- Most all the top STU Evos run our 100 cell racecat

3" catback. I was also planning on doing the P&P'd exhaust mani from Buscher.
-

The intake doesn't really seem to be needed, but it couldn't hurt.
- I use the stock intake.

It seems the ES bushing kit is good,
- I still use all stock bushings.

I'm also trying to find a legal motor and trans mount kit
- Poly front Engine bushing insert is the main one.

Outside of a mini battery kit
- I have a light mini kit for low $.

Hopefully this stirs up some good conversation!
Rick
Old Feb 2, 2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by SS RX7 r2
Just a few comments:

any DP with a cat
- Most all the top STU Evos run our 100 cell racecat

It seems the ES bushing kit is good,
- I still use all stock bushings.

I'm also trying to find a legal motor and trans mount kit
- Poly front Engine bushing insert is the main one.

Outside of a mini battery kit
- I have a light mini kit for low $.

Rick

It looks like you're referring to a shop you're sponsored by, or work with for the racecat and the mini battery. Which one specifically are you talking about?

Good to know about the bushings. I think they'd be a good idea, but obviously judging by your sig they aren't needed

I think the engine bushings are higher on my list than the rest so I'll keep an eye out for the inserts.

Anyone else want to comment on the clutch line restrictor pill?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

It looks like you're referring to a shop you're sponsored by, or work with for the racecat and the mini battery. Which one specifically are you talking about?
Cirodesign is Rick's company. He sells a whole bunch of great parts for evo autocrossers.

If you haven't already, read the 2008 and 2009 threads. There's a lot of great info in there and a lot of things that we've tried and didn't work out.

d
Old Feb 2, 2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by donour
Cirodesign is Rick's company. He sells a whole bunch of great parts for evo autocrossers.

If you haven't already, read the 2008 and 2009 threads. There's a lot of great info in there and a lot of things that we've tried and didn't work out.

d
I've read the 2009 thread about 2 days ago, but it's a lot of info to digest at once I think the main thing I'm curious about is the clutch line restrictor and I don't remember seeing anything in the 09 thread. I'll have to dig up the 08 thread and read through that as well.

I visted Rick's website, but didn't see parts for the EVO. Maybe I'm just blind.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Good to know about the bushings. I think they'd be a good idea, but obviously judging by your sig they aren't needed
Yeah, most of the bushings on the Evo are pretty stout to begin with. I'm going to change the trailing arm bushings and install the rear bumpsteer kit for next year, as well as some rear diff bushings to get the diff to stop clunking on 1-2 shifts. For the most part, though, they are a "nice-to-have" and if you're starting from scratch, there is more bang-for-the-buck stuff out there to get first.

Anyone else want to comment on the clutch line restrictor pill?
As I interpret it, removing the pill isn't legal, but IMO, it's a non-issue since it can be driven around. My car saw about 80+ launches last season (including the Toledo Pro) and the pill rarely interfered with them. Co-drivers had issues with the pill "kicking in", but I'm not worried about them. These were also launches off the 5000rpm factory standstill limiter.

It's a little extra insurance, too, since I would much rather melt a clutch if I screw up a launch instead of busting a t-case or diff. That's the reason it's there, and it sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

FWIW, this is all with the factory stock clutch with 11k on it and it's still holding strong. I don't daily the car, and I don't play nice with it nearly as much anymore, so I think that's pretty good.

Quick Reply: 2010 STU Discussion