Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Pikes Peak Evo, 2010 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking good for this year, best of luck
Old Jan 6, 2010, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveK

If you're able to make it out for more than just race day on Sunday, practice days are fun to watch as you'll get to see the cars in your section run the road 3-5 times each.

If you're not able to pull that off, there's Fan Fest on Friday night in downtown Colorado Springs. Its a blast...30,000+ people milling around and checking out the race cars.

Dave
Request for vacation is in, we're going to head out on the 22nd, so we should be there for the entire event! I look forward to attending for the first time. It's too bad they don't have a run what you brung class, I'd throw the snowtires in the back and have some fun!
Old Jan 6, 2010, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Man I really want to make out again this year Dave.

Good luck!

Mitch
Old Jan 6, 2010, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTisRule
Request for vacation is in, we're going to head out on the 22nd, so we should be there for the entire event! I look forward to attending for the first time. It's too bad they don't have a run what you brung class, I'd throw the snowtires in the back and have some fun!
As long as you have something with a cage and meet the safety requirements, there's some class that you'd be able to fit into. They realize that this is just one event per year, and that most race their cars elsewhere, so they make the rules flexible/all encompassing enough. Road race cars, rally cars, time attack, stock car, etc.

Originally Posted by Magnumpsi
Man I really want to make out again this year Dave.
Holy crap, he lives! I figured you got offed by a cartel or something for a tune that wasn't quite enough for them to outrun the cops. You need to get working on the TWG guys...its a shame that car's been relagated to a rolling boom box with a cage.

Dave
Old Jan 18, 2010, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Hi Guys, we are going through the motion of coming out for this years event, it is a lot of logistics to bring a car from Australia all the way to Colorado, but that is the plan.

We have spoken with the organisers, and looked into the different classes and were almost going to go intothe Rally America class, but that would require a restrictor on the turbo and a remap of the ecu and a few other things that I dont think we can be bothered with. Our evo is stock per the regulation we have down here in Australia, although we did our biggest hillclimb here (10 miles) and got 11th overall and 1st in class, but we are stock except for ECU and suspension. that said, we are either going to have to go into Pikes PEak open or Time Attack, either class we will be soundly beaten. But we'll have fun.
A shot from our last event.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Welcome Jeff! I got an email yesterday from the event chairman asking if we would share our in-car videos with an overseas competitor and of course we said yes. I'm guessing that's you. Its great to see another Evo making it out there. podium sweep? I believe Dave C. will be back with the yellow Evo VIII again.

BTW, don't sell yourself short, you never know what the mountain will throw at you on race day. Dave C. had some electrical problems, and we blew an IC pipe on race day, and both of us probably lost 30-45 seconds as a result of the problems. Biggest lesson I learned is that if the car is still moving, press on towards the summit!

I'm entered in Time Attack for now, but depending on how many additional competitors show up, we may switch into Pikes Peak Open. PPO allows for tube-frame cars, so it'll be tough to compete there if a car built to the rules show up, but I think the current PPO record is beatable by a full-frame car. Per Eklund ran an 11:21ish. Time Attack record is at 11:48, and that record is very beatable as well, we were running just a few bolt-ons and ~350hp when we set that record.

Dave

Dave

Last edited by DaveK; Jan 18, 2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the tips Dave, we barely have 300 hp we run about 256-275hp ATW. And our calculations show it'll have about 155 full ponies by the time get to the top at 14,000 feet.

I thinkyour record is safe, from us, as we need to keep the car close to stock so we canreturn it to Australia without many changes. Although we are considering Cams and a slightly larger turbo, that will be the end of the funds to play with, the rest of the money will be in transport from Sydney to LA, and then we are trying to figure out how to get the car from LA - CO without incurring huge mileage fees on a rental truck.

JD
Old Jan 18, 2010, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

We basically used the last event down here (the 16kilometers Mt Buller Hill climb) in December as a test session for Pikes Peak, although there was no dirt, we just have to pick the right tyres to cover that of Pikes.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Oh yeah, the DVD, that was me, the organisers sad they will ask a fellow competitor if they could send me a copy of their incar, so I guess that was you, and it was for me, so I certainly appreciate you allowing that.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JeffDOZ
Thanks for the tips Dave, we barely have 300 hp we run about 256-275hp ATW. And our calculations show it'll have about 155 full ponies by the time get to the top at 14,000 feet.

I thinkyour record is safe, from us, as we need to keep the car close to stock so we canreturn it to Australia without many changes. Although we are considering Cams and a slightly larger turbo, that will be the end of the funds to play with, the rest of the money will be in transport from Sydney to LA, and then we are trying to figure out how to get the car from LA - CO without incurring huge mileage fees on a rental truck.

JD
The cars are quite slow on the top section and if you fall out of boost, you know it. You can hear the seconds ticking away in your head. If funds for modded parts are tight, I'd probably just look at doing the turbo and leave the stock cams. They're designed for good mid-range power, and that's what you need at Pikes Peak. Even though I switched to a larger turbo, the cams I'm running are 260ish (Tomei Poncams). The added benefit of not messing with the cams means won't need to crack the engine apart. An upgraded IC might be worthwile instead of the cams.

As for transport costs, I'd see if you could contact Andrew Hawkeswood or Marty Roestenburg to see what they did. Monster Tajima might also be a good one to ask. I'd guess the PPIHC organizers could put you in touch with them.

Dave
Old Jan 18, 2010, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

We basically used the last event down here (the 16kilometers Mt Buller Hill climb) in December as a test session for Pikes Peak, although there was no dirt, we just have to pick the right tyres to cover that of Pikes.
There's not much dirt left at Pikes Peak...damn shame if you ask me.

The vid they're sending you is from 2008, so the top section is all dirt. Last summer they paved from the top down about two miles. That should mean you'll see ~8 paved miles and ~4 dirt miles. The road is smooth throughout, so you won't need to raise your ride height.

Dave
Old Jan 18, 2010, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I hear ya!

I like the challenge, when we did Mt Washington (NH) a few times it was 30% dirt and it gave an edge, aside from being a thrill ride of danger of 2000 foot drops. We did that in my old Grp A BMW 325 (E30) and my Evo 5 RS, and did quite well, taking the class record in both. I liked the dirt sections, it rewarded those who drove with precision and a bit of bravity.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

ok, so no cams, bigger intercooler. I like it!
Old Jan 18, 2010, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I hear ya!

I like the challenge, when we did Mt Washington (NH) a few times it was 30% dirt and it gave an edge, aside from being a thrill ride of danger of 2000 foot drops. We did that in my old Grp A BMW 325 (E30) and my Evo 5 RS, and did quite well, taking the class record in both. I liked the dirt sections, it rewarded those who drove with precision and a bit of bravity.
Very cool! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Mt. Washington event will make a comeback. I drove up it this summer for the first time (despite growing up in New England) and think it'll be quite an experience if I ever get the chance to take that road at race speed.

I'm building an E36 Compact (3.0L M3 engine) for use in the 2wd MaxAttack! rally series, as Rally America's Open Class has basically become a playground for the rich & famous.

Dave
Old Jan 18, 2010, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

If your a hillclimber, dude, you would LOVE MtWashington. An incredible challenge and event. Dan Gurney said of Mt Washington ' it's a terrifying ride, more terrifying than Pikes Peak, but so nice.

The line around the corners is the road, there is no room, sometimes as you take a corner the frost heaves get you airborne and you land on the edge of the road, or in the case of one corvette you end up in the trees... down the hill... over the rocks... on your roof. then wait while two cranes are called because their cables arent long enough to reach the car.

7:56 was my time, I think, will need to look back and find the notes.

Quick Reply: Pikes Peak Evo, 2010 Edition