Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

The Ultimate Track OIL Temp / Pressure / Starvation Thread!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2010, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been monitoring and data logging pretty much every parameter on my car all year with my T/A car. If you guys who actually track your car saw what oil pressures your motor is seeing, you would be scarred for it.

I used to run the ams/moroso oil pan with an accusump. i've tried pretty much every race oil on the market. Different weight oils did effect the oil pressure. After changing a few things with this setup, i was able to raise the lowest pressure i used to see(8psi) to 16psi.

At multiple tracks, I've logged oil pressures in the single digits multiple times within 1 lap. After changing a few things with this setup, i was able to raise the lowest pressure i used to see(8psi) to 16psi. It happens more often when hitting 1.5 to 1.6 g's or above. I do run the stickiest tires available, Hankook z214 C91's.

Because of this, I have installed a custom RR 4 stage dry sump system, not your average 3 stage evo setup. I'm pretty sure I will not be having issues with oil pressure anymore. I will be testing the new setup very soon.

Last edited by tc17; Oct 14, 2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
^ be sure to share some before and after logs!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Curious, where are all you guys adding your oil temp and oil pressure sensors if you are running say an accumsump and/or FP Red/BBK-B which both need to feed off of the oil filter housing?

will
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

Well the ones you question aren't running aftermarket turbo's, so we have that port available. However this question was posed to me a couple days ago for an FP Black user and the solution is just as simple as the OEM setup. You must get a fitting in the space that will "share" the connection like a T or a Y fitting depending on the space you have. I have a 45deg fitting on my lower bolt for the oil pressure because those things are usually huge. If I were to have an FP turbo that required a filter line, i'd engineer a T or Y that would feed it and my gauge at the same time without having to use the ghey sandwiches.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
you guys are making me wanna go back through my 2 older cars traqmate to see actually if i had the issue. I was logging pressure, temp, and of course G's, but never looked to make a connection...

I was running a setrab cooler that somebody started to make a kit for, and I got the test one, never went anywhere, but worked like a dream. Oil temps were high (roughly 250ish), but again, i was running in 90 degree, super humid, florida fun conditions.

I'll check on it and get back to you. I also used the lower temp tomei thermostat piece... helped delay the heat soak for a few laps...
I am running the Setrab cooler too. I was seeing similar temps without the tomei thermostat running 15w50 Mobil One oil running hard in Texas heat. The temp would get up to 268 if I maintained high RPM (6000-7800) on track.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Well the ones you question aren't running aftermarket turbo's, so we have that port available. However this question was posed to me a couple days ago for an FP Black user and the solution is just as simple as the OEM setup. You must get a fitting in the space that will "share" the connection like a T or a Y fitting depending on the space you have. I have a 45deg fitting on my lower bolt for the oil pressure because those things are usually huge. If I were to have an FP turbo that required a filter line, i'd engineer a T or Y that would feed it and my gauge at the same time without having to use the ghey sandwiches.

You don't think sharing the connection with a T or Y fitting would disrupt the pressure and heat?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

If it's right there no, the further away from the housing the less the reading of course. Remember too that the temp sender is usually long. There's hundreds of examples of inline gauges/senders for fuel/oil/water on race cars. If you do a Y it doesn't disrupt the flow to the turbo, but believe me there's plenty of pressure there to feed it.
Old May 24, 2011, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

So where's the dangerzone? Consistent G's of 1.3, 1.35, 1.40, 1.45??

Here's screenshot from 2 trackdays this year from my Evo running super sticky Hoosier A6's. I'm seeing consistent 1.32g's pretty much every corner this year - with several instances of > 1.35g and some oddities (off-camber) like the 2nd pic that hit 1.43g

Old May 24, 2011, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Ya know we could mythbuster this and take a stock oil pan and inlet, build a clear cover and rig it to a mech spinning unit with a camera and g sensor....see when it "leaves" the area it's supposed to stay in.
Old May 25, 2011, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
Ya know we could mythbuster this and take a stock oil pan and inlet, build a clear cover and rig it to a mech spinning unit with a camera and g sensor....see when it "leaves" the area it's supposed to stay in.
That would be awesome data!
Old May 25, 2011, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

I don't have the facilities/skill to do this, but it could easily be done by someone who does I think, for not much $.
Old May 26, 2011, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

That won't work as the main variable here is "how much oil" is in the pan during engine operation. I could do calcs to figure out what level of force is required to get the oil level to be lower than the clearance between the pickup and the oil pan but that variable is what is required. We don't need empirical data, just some good old fluid dynamics.

Note: It only takes 1.01g lateral force for there to be more force in the lateral direction than the vertical direction. The question is "how much oil do you need to draw to the side of the pan before the level below the pickup is too low?" This has a lot to do with the volume in the pan and the time over which >1.0g lateral is sustained. The rest is just calculation.

With as much power as is available to these vehicles through modification I've never understood why people would try to grab that extra couple of horses by running "lower" oil levels. I always keep my oil topped to the top notch on the dipstick (and perhaps a hair high). I use 20w50 royal purple and stock oil cooler on a ~400hp crank car and see extended 1.3g sweepers while running TTA times for a solid 20 minutes (not for just one hot lap). I've never logged temps but oil pressure has never been an issue. 80psi at idle and 100psi while running.
Old May 26, 2011, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Oil pressure wasn't an issue for me until I decided to run r-comps (BFG R1 to be precise). With the r-comps oil pressure drops to ~35psi during hard right-hand corners, especially turn one on the Autobahn South course. I run 20w50 AMSOIL and I slightly overfill...

l8r)
Old May 26, 2011, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

That's odd. I use Hoosiers and Hankooks and running consistant top TTA times (again, for 20 minutes solid, not for just a single TTA fast lap) and I never see pressure drop at Summit Point Main, VIR Full, NJMP Thunderbolt, or CMP. I've never been to Autobahn (though I would love to). The needle never even drops during a sweeper. I've got so little concern that at the last event my sender broke and I haven't even considered fixing it...
Old Jun 6, 2011, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29

Seeing a peak of 270 degrees oil temp isn't really a rare situation for me. It'll take driving > 6500rpms to get up there though - and extended lapping to keep it there. If I take just a 1/2 lap off and do some coasting I'll drop 10 degrees pretty quick. 1 full cool-down lap of at the end of the session and I'll be back down around 220 or something more sane. I'm running AMSoil 10w30 'Dominator' oil....
Bumping a pic of mine from last year - because I have a new peak! Cleared 280 degrees this weekend. It was in the mid 80's with humidity - and I was pushing the car hard it the upper RPM's. And by hard I mean frequently in 4th past 7k; more like 7500 to prevent a short-shift to 5th and then immediate downshift.

Quick Reply: The Ultimate Track OIL Temp / Pressure / Starvation Thread!