Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Best place to purchase Hoosiers?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2010, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best place to purchase Hoosiers?

I've been cruising websites like tirerack and discount tire direct and cannot seem to find a decent deal on the Hoosier R6. I'm looking for a 245/45/17 to run on the stock wheels. Even a small size like that runs $240ea + shipping at tirerack and that seems a bit excessive.

Advice? Do any of you have club or membership discounts? I'm open to ideas. Thanks in advance.

If you know of a comparably priced and performance matching tire such as the BFG R1 or even a true non-dot slick please post the info here.

Last edited by EVIL_EV0; Feb 17, 2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try to find some used unless you're trying to squeeze every last millisecond. I've got a set of BFG R1s, and two sets of Hoosier R6s sitting in the garage, and paid less than 300 per set. Got them all from forum surfing too. So check your local NASA and SCCA forums, or other car forums that run that particular size. There is no way I could afford to buy new tires just for HPDEs and time attack.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

I'm looking for new. I drive to the track with them on the car. At the end of each season I sell them and usually recover a couple hundred bucks. I don't feel $600 a season is all that bad but it would be nice to find a better deal on new race rubber.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 06:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Try www.racetireusa.com they got very good prices and offer free shipping.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Performance Tread is where to go, he'll beat most deals, local club on-track supporter for Nasa among others, and the owner Jimmy is a fellow Evo racer . PerformanceTread.com or info -at- performancetread dot com.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pricing on Hoosiers really doesn't vary. I'm not sure if they're set by Hoosier themselves or what, but they sell just fine.

If you have trackside support (aka NASA events usually do) call those guys up. If nothing else it'll eliminate shipping costs and reduce your mount/balance pricing.

Support those that support us...
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by boomn29
Pricing on Hoosiers really doesn't vary. I'm not sure if they're set by Hoosier themselves or what, but they sell just fine.
This appears to be true. I ran through all the mentioned sites and the price is pretty much the same.

For reference I ran the BFG R1's last year and I thought they were excellent tires. A significant improvement over the NT01's I ran the year before. That performance came at a significant premium as well ($900 vs $600).
Old Feb 18, 2010, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Hoosier sets the prices for all their sellers. you will not find any price difference.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

As a general unofficial comment..there is no giant profit margin in the RESALE of tires. 3-4% pr. tire is a good average, unless you buy LOTS of tires. Pete
Old Feb 18, 2010, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

I see. Well I guess I can hope for tirerack or DTD to have some kind of rebate on race tires.

Are there any other tires besides the BFG R1 that are on par with the R6?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVIL_EV0
I see. Well I guess I can hope for tirerack or DTD to have some kind of rebate on race tires.

Are there any other tires besides the BFG R1 that are on par with the R6?
From what I've read, the A6 is the fastest and on par with the Hankook C91 soft compound. These can only handle a few consecutive laps before they need a quick cool down - fyi.

Next is the R6, BFG R1 and Hankook Z214 C51/C71 compounds and Kumho V710. From what I've read the R6 is the fastest, but the R1 will last longer and the C51's are plain hard to find in stock at times. The V710's have some odd sizing if I recall.

Next round goes down to the NT01 (best), RA1 and R888. Close by are the Yoko A048 and Michelen PSC (I personally hate these). Several people use this group to bridge the gap between sticky tires and longetivity.

Then the stickier street tires like the Z1 Starspecs, RE-11, NT05, etc.

It's no coincidence as you work your way down the sticky list that treadlife goes up and price goes down.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Actually, the best place to buy Hoosier race tires is a local dealer who supports the events you plan to compete at. Here in the NASA Northeast race series we always can count on Phils Tire Service to be at every race weekend to help with any tire need.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

We don't have a local supporter. I guess I'll just order them through a local tire shop. Might get a deal on M&B that way.

I ran a quick check of costs:

$1060 Hoosier R6
$880 BFG R1
$620 Nitto NT01
Old Feb 19, 2010, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
Hoosier sets the prices for all their sellers. you will not find any price difference.
That basically sums it up. Hoosier provides contingency for racers, and TT participants within NASA. We have to buy the tires from a specific group of vendors. And the prices are all set the same.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:35 PM

Prices on these tires doesn't vary much because the distribution program doesn't vary much either. I would go with someone local with a good reputation and who may be at the track sometimes, so you may be able to get some help from them if you ever need any.

Quick Reply: Best place to purchase Hoosiers?