Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo TT Racing - Mod Guides, Builds, etc

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2010, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo TT Racing - Mod Guides, Builds, etc

Before I start searching - are there any guides re: Evo TT'ing - such as pros/cons of certain mods while picking a class, preferred mods, preferred setups, etc.? Any good site documenting Evo builds and racing? The rational side of me is looking for info on stock or light mod classes as opposed to the unlimited builds (though I am interested in reading about those as well).

Also - are there any shops in the NE (such as CBRD) that specialize in prepping cars for TTs?

It looks like NASA is the main attraction in terms of TTs - are there others that I am missing? What are some pros/cons of NASA TTs?

I am also considering a C5 Corvette as that seems to fit in well to the NASA TTB rules and the cars and mods are pretty cheap and there appears to be a strong following. The C5 route seems like a quick way to get out there and be as competitive as driving talent allows. Any thoughts on Evos vs. such a plan would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!!!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

Welcome to EvoM, and a great first post!

Its my understanding that with light mods the Evo is most competitive in TTB. Once you move to TTA you're going up against Vettes that will most probably be dominant depending on the track.

The NASA TT program in the northeast is in a somewhat foetal stage, but there are several drivers (most with Evos) looking to compete in TTB and TTA this year which should make things exciting.

Check out the NASA-NE forum for more info:
http://nasaforums.com/viewforum.php?f=24

We recently had a discussion about TT here that addresses the advantages of NASA's TT program
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...not-do-tt.html
Old Feb 23, 2010, 03:17 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
we will be running our car at some NASA events hopefully this summer!

cb
Old Feb 23, 2010, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CBRD
we will be running our car at some NASA events hopefully this summer!

cb
What class?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^^ Super cool guys with fancy shirts class.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:29 PM

The NASA TT rules favor the Evo 8 by 6 points vs. the Evo 9. Anyone have any ideas why this is the case? The ACD is available on '05 Evos so I don't think that is the reason - are the MIVEC and revised turbo really worth the difference (considering non-remote reservoir coilovers and springs cost 5 points)?

One other question - it looks like the Evo, b/c of its turbo, gets another 5 point hit on top of everything else? This is a bit confusing - it seems like all the basic classification info is (or should be) dealt with the section 6.3.2 classification table.

One way to max out TTB points (20 points to play with) for a '95 Evo 8 GSR (ACD, no sunroof):

+5 coilovers and springs (ex - JRZ Club Sport RS)
+8 R compound tires, 50-130 (275 width)
+3 front lsd (quaife/wave-tec) (needed considering the front helical LSD that is standard on an '05 VIII?)
+2 bump steer kit
+1 cat delete
(if no torsen LSD needed - add vortex generator (+1), exhaust (+2))

+0 -
-ECU tune,
-ACD tune,
-poly/delrin suspension bushings (incl various Whiteline poly bushings, AMS rear delrin, -Perrin positive steering setup)
- upgraded (2 piece) rotors and brake lines and pads
-front undertray extending to axle centerline,
-8 point cage,
-upgraded radiator/oil cooler,
-balance shaft removal,
-accusump,
-front brake ducting,
-solid rear diff mount and bushings,
-A/C delete,
-AMS oil pan,
-fuel swirl pot and second pump,
-oil catch can,
- lightweight driveshaft
- front drive shaft upgrade (DSS)
- lowered, light racing seats
- lexan all around (except driver/pass windows)
- removal of interior bits
- plastic rear doors
- add ballast to rear of car to meet min. weight
- corner weight/alignment etc.

(vs the C5 maxes the TTB points with coilovers/springs and 265 width R tires, though could use many of the +0 point mods)

Any thoughts?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jid2
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bnjmn
The NASA TT rules favor the Evo 8 by 6 points vs. the Evo 9. Anyone have any ideas why this is the case? The ACD is available on '05 Evos so I don't think that is the reason - are the MIVEC and revised turbo really worth the difference (considering non-remote reservoir coilovers and springs cost 5 points)?
Huh. Didn't notice that until now. But seems like the VIII MR starts in TTB, so it's just the VIII GSR and RS that start in TTC with the 14 pt penalty. If I recall correctly only the MR had the ACD, and the MR and RS had the front LSD.

One other question - it looks like the Evo, b/c of its turbo, gets another 5 point hit on top of everything else?
That's correct

+3 front lsd (quaife/wave-tec) (needed considering the front helical LSD that is standard on an '05 VIII?)
Yup

+0 -ACD tune,
I'm not sure about this. Although ECU reflashes are free, I'm not sure if the ACD falls under modification of traction control.

Last edited by Loser; Feb 23, 2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 09:58 PM

per the most perfect collection of knowledge ever, ACD is on GSR, MR and RS '05 USDM VIIIs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubi...Evolution_VIII
and confirmed here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...everybody.html

I realize there is a +3 hit for an aftermarket front lsd, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the worth of the helical stocker's performance (trying to figure a rough budget).

Thanks.

Last edited by Bnjmn; Feb 23, 2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a lotta ways to skin a cat - and I don't wanna give away all the secrets.

But a C5 Z06 is what you want for TTA. Slap on 10pt tires and go. They're hellifast and reliable and can be had for < $20k as of last year even.

Evo's can be competitive in TTB, TTA, TTS and TTU. As you slide to the right the build just gets more complex and expensive!

Originally Posted by Bnjmn

One other question - it looks like the Evo, b/c of its turbo, gets another 5 point hit on top of everything else? This is a bit confusing - it seems like all the basic classification info is (or should be) dealt with the section 6.3.2 classification table.

One way to max out TTB points (20 points to play with) for a '95 Evo 8 GSR (ACD, no sunroof):

+5 coilovers and springs (ex - JRZ Club Sport RS)
+8 R compound tires, 50-130 (275 width)
+2 bump steer kit
+1 cat delete
(if no torsen LSD needed - add vortex generator (+1), exhaust (+2))
The +5 is the forced induction penalty for all T/C and S/C cars. We get that; and in return they made ECU reflashes (that were +10) free. They figured out they couldn't police all the reflashes so this was their answer.

The VIII doesn't have as good of diff's or ACD in the car and it doens't make as much power - that's why it starts lower. The MR has ACD and better Bilstein shocks - which is why it starts higher.

Here's what is boils down to....
As you noted; you only have so many points to utilize before jumping classes. So decide where you want to spend them. You can either try to maximize the power/weight ratio, your tire compound or size or your suspension goodies. You can't do it all.
Looks like from your breakdown up above you're trying to straddle all of those. Could work; might not. There's definitely no guide and no 1 way to make it work. Wish ya luck!

Last edited by boomn29; Feb 24, 2010 at 06:54 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 06:53 AM

Right - aiming for TTB at the moment though.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

We will be in TTS/TTD/TTC for the NASA TT/N.E. for 2010 Pete
Old Feb 24, 2010, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Peter Tiebout
We will be in TTS/TTD/TTC for the NASA TT/N.E. for 2010 Pete
Sure you don't mean TTA or TTB instead of TTD? Evo IX, Evo X, and an S2K right?
Old Feb 25, 2010, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Tim and I are both in TTS class with the Evo's. Thai is the S2K, Justin with the 325 BMW . The car classing forms are on the NASA TT site. Everybody but Thai's S2K last time I looked. http://www.nasa-tt.com/Northeast_News/p2_articleid/138e Char, you will be out to play this season..should be fun. Pete

Last edited by Peter Tiebout; Feb 25, 2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 07:16 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jid2
LMFAO!

they better get out a calculator, lots of points coming,

JRZ 3 ways, carbonetics diff, quaiffe... 18x10.5's etc etc lol

cb

Quick Reply: Evo TT Racing - Mod Guides, Builds, etc