Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo TT Racing - Mod Guides, Builds, etc

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2010, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you guys think an EVO X could be competitive in any class? High cost?

Thanks
Old Feb 25, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by c_reber
Do you guys think an EVO X could be competitive in any class? High cost?

Thanks
Regionally speaking, any car can be competitive in any class with a good driver. NASA is supposed to be setup so all cars are baselined close to equal, but there's obviously some that are better in certain classes than others.

An Evo X won TTA Nationals in 2008.
An Evo IX won TTB Nationals in 2008.

Of course the rules have changed some, including a reclass of the X.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 09:19 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
How was the X reclassed?
Old Feb 25, 2010, 09:22 AM

For the X GSR - some points to play with for TTA, could get a bit expensive. TTB should be relatively inexpensive - a set of +7 R compounds and +5 coilovers and you are at the TTB limit (if you start w/a GSR). With a tune you should be near the TTB power/weight ratio.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

My car is basically a stock IX MR..the bolt on stuff points, send me to TTS. So do you take stuff off for less points OR adjust what you have to get the best out of it. Pete
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
Regionally speaking, any car can be competitive in any class with a good driver. NASA is supposed to be setup so all cars are baselined close to equal, but there's obviously some that are better in certain classes than others.

An Evo X won TTA Nationals in 2008.
An Evo IX won TTB Nationals in 2008.

Of course the rules have changed some, including a reclass of the X.
Originally Posted by Bnjmn
For the X GSR - some points to play with for TTA, could get a bit expensive. TTB should be relatively inexpensive - a set of +7 R compounds and +5 coilovers and you are at the TTB limit (if you start w/a GSR). With a tune you should be near the TTB power/weight ratio.
Thanks for the info. I guess this might be something I'll have to do more research on the dlasses/points etc I don't know a whole lot about it. I had a lot of fun in the 2 redline events last year, but with some new rules/higher prices, I won't be able to run in Redline TA this year. I'll try the nasa website to see about some events close to vegas.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

dont go too fast, I'm in either TTS or TTU, first time racing an evo. Wish I had of gone a little slower, it cost more money then I realized to maintain these things
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:20 PM

when reading the NASA rules - just keep in mind that the TTS/U/R classes are totally different than the TTA through G classes. You only gets "points" to play with in TTA-G - TTS and U are pretty open, other than the "adjusted weight/power" limit. The only thing that is the same btw the two sets of rules are the "adjusted weight/power" ratios (I believe the ratios are calculated identically for both TTS/U/R and TTA-G).
So - TTA-G should be a bit cheaper than TTS/U, unless you start with a car classified in a low class and blow through tons of points (like starting with a '92 Civic CX and replacing every part on the car...). TTR might be the cheapest of all, if you start with an inexpensive race car.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by MitsoKid
dont go too fast, I'm in either TTS or TTU, first time racing an evo. Wish I had of gone a little slower, it cost more money then I realized to maintain these things
Do you mean build costs or maintenance costs? Have you run into any maint. costs if you have yet to race?
I would think the costs should be in line with any other car - if anything a little cheaper b/c of the deep parts market. AWD is a little more expensive, but seems to be mostly under control.
Shop costs are shop costs, regardless of whether in an Evo or something else.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

I would recommend that everyone who has TT questions to direct them towards Nate. The last time i competed in NASAs TT series was 2008. However, since im racing in Super Touring i can still help out with TTS/TTU questions because the ST and TTS/TTU car classification forms are the same. I read the other updated TT rules also, but Nate would know better because hes competing in TTB.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bnjmn
Do you mean build costs or maintenance costs? Have you run into any maint. costs if you have yet to race?
I would think the costs should be in line with any other car - if anything a little cheaper b/c of the deep parts market. AWD is a little more expensive, but seems to be mostly under control.
Shop costs are shop costs, regardless of whether in an Evo or something else.
Blew a motor/tranny/transfer case and turbo all in the same month.. while I was testing the car, not racing.

They all had some miles on them (70k) but damn