Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

NASA @ Road America

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NASA @ Road America

Its the final event of the year for NASA midwest/great lakes. Road America , one of the greatest tracks in North America is going to be the backdrop of this showdown. With the fall colors and nice cool weather, it should turn out to be a great weekend for racing.

We have 3 evom members running their cars in TTS. Andy Smedegard in his newly reduced HP car, will be a great newcomer to the NASA TT scene. If you guys don't kno, Andy is a 2012 National auto-x champion and seem's to be one of the fastest guys around the midwest with other groups. We also have Jeff Vance, who has been getting his TTS evo dialed in this season and is always fast. FWIW, Jeff has probably one of the nicest TT Evo's that i have seen on these forums or at the racetrack. And, of course i'm running. This is the first time out at a racetrack since my motor failure in May. I'm really hoping to not run into any issues and hope that all goes well this weekend. I have run low 2:29's at the NARRA event this past spring and i'm hoping that with my new set of hoosiers i can actually dip into the 2:28's or better. From what i've seen, not many Evo's have good faster then 28's in TTS or similar power classes. I'm not sure that even running those times it will be enough to keep up with the the vettes or lotus but i'm going to try. As i'm sure the other guys will too! . I did have Nathan P take a look at my data from May and there is more time out there. Its just going to be a matter of if i have the ***** to go get it.

So, if your not doing anything this weekend come on out. Either enter and run your car or just come up to a great track and enjoy a nice day of watching cars race.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

Should be a lot of fun and good horsepower weather! I'm looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish. As always the competition in TTS is tough in the Midwest Region, but that keeps us pushing harder.

Did you say new tires? No Fair!!! I'll be using up the last of what is left from the season that hasn't corded yet. Sounds like I will be drafting behind you then.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Yeah I'm excited. I havent been to RA in about 5 years. I'll be running some year old R6's as thats all I got in 245's.

I'll be there friday evening and just running saturday.

I'll try to find you guys and say hi, I havent met most of you. This will be my first NASA event.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Feel free to stop on by, white car & trailer.

This week is a busy one. Getting tires mounted and ready, oil change, brake fluid flush, new pads, adding some weight to meet minimum Power:weight, new harnesses installed, adding some brake cooling ducts, reinforce front splitter to handle the high speeds of RA, then get trailer all ready and loaded up.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't worry about brake cooling duct. RA is hard on pads and rotors because of the long straights. The brakes actually have too much cool down time and therefor the great temp changes actually cause most of the problems.

One more things to note. I was told by the Pro guys that you need to worry about pad kick back if you use the rumble strips on corner exit. I did have it happen a few times when i was there.

Last edited by jerdeitzel; Oct 2, 2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
I wouldn't worry about brake cooling duct. RA is hard on pads and rotors because of the long straights. The brakes actually have too much cool down time and therefor the great temp changes actually cause most of the problems.

One more things to note. I was told by the Pro guys that you need to worry about pad kick back if you use the rumble strips on corner exit. I did have it happen a few times when i was there.
ok fine I'll forget the cooling ducts for now. I'm running bigger brakes already so hopefully wont have any issues (355X32).

Yes I had pad knockback issues the last time I was there. Had me pretty scared the 1st time coming into the carousel.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

I finished up my new catch can setup. I checked the entry list one more time and it looks to be a great class this coming weekend. We are playing with some of the big dogs when it comes to TTS.

I'm excited for a weekend at the track. It has been way too much effort and money into repairing the car, and not enough having fun with it.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
I finished up my new catch can setup. I checked the entry list one more time and it looks to be a great class this coming weekend. We are playing with some of the big dogs when it comes to TTS.

I'm excited for a weekend at the track. It has been way too much effort and money into repairing the car, and not enough having fun with it.
ha, the faster you make the car, the more work it requires. seems counterproductive. you spend more time/money to spend less time driving (per lap).

I added a little over 100lbs. I'll be needing to keep the gas tank full.

Jeremy, you can pit during your session and come back out right?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Yes you will be able to pull into the pits. I do believe there are some refueling rules you might wanna ask about.

I'm wondering if I should put some anti freeze in the car. It's going to be 28 on Sat night.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Yesterday was one of those real sucky days at the track. My day's problems started out in the first qual session. I was behind Andy on the first lap and we were instructed not to pass on the first 2 laps. The first lap out, the car felt good so i started to push even tho it was still cold out. That lap was on pace to be a mid to low 2:30's but Andy got loose on the last turn onto the front straight so i had to back off to avoid hitting him. This blew that run, no big deal. I backed off to give myself some room on the next lap so i was sure to get a clean one in. Well, about 3/4 the way around the track the car looses boost and i pull in to exit the track. It turns out i blew the POS grimspeed turbo/manifold gasket. . I was lucky to be able to get a spare gasket from Jeff (thanks) and some bolts from Andy( thanks) to get the car back up and running. At this point i had missed the 1st timed session and was sitting way too far back in grid. I go out for the session and the car feels good on the warm up lap. I hammer down the next half of track and start catching people. Then there is a spin in Canada corner that brought out the yellow and blew that lap. So at this point i have 2 hot laps around the tracks with traffic. I back off again with the intent to get a clean lap no matter what, on this next one. Well, 3 turns later a huge puff of smoke fills the cockpit and i quickly exit the track. Blown turbo!

From the small amount of data i did collec,t the car was running good. I had gained 27hp and 6 mph on the straights over my last time there. So, i do think with the new tires (i forgot how much grip new tires have) and a good lap in, that i could have been in the race today.

Big congrats to Andy. He ran an unbelievable time! Not enough to catch the unbelievable time of the vette. (i do have to question a 2:22 from a TTS car?)

And a big congrats to Jeff for taking a second place in TTS for the season. That is no small feat around the midwest.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

Jeremy sorry for all your troubles. At least there is plenty of time before the next event.

I was only able to get video in one of my morning sessions. I also blew my exhaust gasket in this session and had to come in early. Power kept getting less and less.

This video was about a 2:29-ish. Next session I was able to get down to a 2:25.06. My last 2 sessions ended early, (brakes get very soft, pads almost 100% gone, then a splitter cable broke at the end of turn 5 (about 160mph). I know I left another second out there. and with new A6's (over my used r6's), probably another second. We'll see what comes in 2013.

Video:
http://youtu.be/G9UrVsNlJ3Y?hd=1
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Andy - Nice lap! I don't think that I could have used that line through 14 very often. My car would have shaken apart.

I was running in HPDE on street tires. Are you using the stock gear ratios?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tsi90awd
Andy - Nice lap! I don't think that I could have used that line through 14 very often. My car would have shaken apart.

I was running in HPDE on street tires. Are you using the stock gear ratios?
Thanks! yes stock IX 5-speed trans.

Those rumble-strips are rough, and I really think thats what was causing my exhaust/turbo bolts to loosen up every session. Its also hard on the wheel bearings and can really give you some brake pad knock-back which is scary at times. How do those GTC lemons guys do it lap after lap?

Did you have the red evo?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Yes. I had the red 8.

I was watching your shift points in the vid and wondering if you had the stock ratios. Thanks for the clarification.

I was also interested in your line through the carousel. I take the old-school line with turning in midway across the track and a late apex down at the low point. Have you experimented with other lines through the carousel? Besides 14 and the carousel, I have about the same line, but much slower!
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tsi90awd
Have you experimented with other lines through the carousel? Besides 14 and the carousel, I have about the same line, but much slower!
Not really. I come from autox'ing where 95% of the time the shortest line is the quickest. I didnt get much of a chance to try new things as I really only got one good timed session in.

warm up session: was on my Hankook C51's, felt like drivin on ice

session 1: Blew out exhaust mani to turbo gasket

session 2: went good, ran a 2:25.06

session 3: 2nd lap, brakes didnt feel right, came in to see there was hardly anything left of the pads. installed new Hawk DTC70's.

session 4: Splitter support broke on my first hot lap. The car was feeling very good too. oh well, always next year.

Quick Reply: NASA @ Road America