Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

who wants a NASA time trial license?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2009, 07:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who wants a NASA time trial license?

a few of us are going to be seeking our time trial licenses to race in NASA time attack events around here.

so far i know the people interested are the following:

1. myself (kevinD)
2. Josh (666evo)
3. denver (denver)
4. richard (rfielder)
5. Tim (TNT)

Tim knows far more people involved in the instructors club, and said he can help us figure out what we need to do. essentially it requires taking a number of HPDE events through NASA and get promoted to a Time trial license (not as hard to get as wheel to wheel racing, but you can't go out once expecting to immediately get certified).

for anyone interested, you do NOT have to have the fastest car on the streets. there are many classes, and just like autocross, you can have a bone stock evo, all the way up to a full blown race car. the modifications add "points" to your class, and the more points you have, it bumps you into a higher class. there are no limit to the number of classes you can jump up depending on the mods you have.

here is NASA's official page with rules and such:
http://www.nasa-tt.com/Rules

richard, denver and myself will be racing our shop car in the TTU class (it is mostly unlimited class with a power to weight ratio limit

josh is going to race with us in TTU in his track car

not sure what class tim will be racing in, he makes to much power for TTU

the vorslag evo X races in TTS i think, and they might be able to chime in about how getting licensed and what the events are like.

Last edited by KevinD; May 21, 2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old May 21, 2009, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

I would like to do it but I have big reservations about doing that with my daily driver. I would prefer to learn in something cheap - just in case the worst happens.
Old May 21, 2009, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

think im under the limit if i run spring pressure
Old May 21, 2009, 09:18 AM
Former Sponsor

good points jeremy. one thing to note, they treat the TT events like a HPDE according to their webpage and rules. essentially, treat it just like a Drivers ed day, but you get a transponder, and are allowed to pass more freely. however, your not allowed to block, if you put all 4 tires off your black flagged, if your driving out of control etc etc... same thing as HPDE basically. DEFINATELY take kellys advice though, if you can't afford to walk away from it, you shouldn't be racing it. and also take tims advice into consideration, trailer your car to the track

edit* this is something where doing what was mentioned with chad, get a miata for a couple grand (or less), and race that. its cheap, don't need to worry about insurance on it cause its cheap, and its very fast and aftermarket race parts are easy to find.
Old May 21, 2009, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I want to get one but the hpdes always conflict with autocrosses.
Old May 21, 2009, 11:12 AM
Former Sponsor

but whats more fun, standing in a parking lot when its 105 deg? or driving around the track with your AC on
Old May 21, 2009, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

What's $30 (and I've prepaid for the year already) where I can win $50 (thanks Don!) and actually get a trophy vs. paying $200 to get checked out in order to go up a level to get checked out again in order to actually get to race next year?

I think the NASA checkout process is a bit whack for those people that have an idea of what the hell they are doing. I had a medium sized conversation with someone that's doing NASA time trials and they said there are two camps... those that will be in HPDE forever and those that will do one, maybe two HPDEs and then get their TT license. He (serious autocrosser) got his TT license in one HPDE.

The next NASA event is June 13/14th at Hallett outside of Tulsa. There is a COMMA event there (basically open track) this weekend if you wanted to learn the track. I'm pretty sure Paul Magyar will be there (the guy I mentioned above) doing some learning for the race in June.

Of course, June 14th is an autocross here with the SCCA. The chance to win contingency money and get points for the season winning contingency money from Don (thanks again Don Herring!) or spend $$$ and have to drive up to Tulsa...
Old May 21, 2009, 11:27 AM

Man, I forgot about the Don Herring contingency money...

Hey goofy - let me know the next time you want a co-driver!
Old May 21, 2009, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

ya so you can beat me in my own car like David did last month? Bastardo!
Old May 21, 2009, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by altiain
Hey goofy - let me know the next time you want a co-driver!
I would consider taking on a co-driver with autocross experience who won't smoke my stock clutch. I could use an expert's opinion on my setup.

Last edited by Evo_Someday; May 21, 2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old May 21, 2009, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

i would love to get one...money and a running car permitting...so in that case have fun guys im gonna have to sit this one out as much as i want to join in!
Old May 21, 2009, 07:31 PM

We'll have two cars running Time Trials in 2010 if the schedule gets better for DFW people. One event at MSR is a bummer. Otherwise it'll just be Lemons races and HPDEs...
Old May 21, 2009, 08:21 PM
Former Sponsor

marc, what kind of cars, and what class you driving in?
Old May 22, 2009, 04:18 PM

TTD in my Protege, may bump to C if I gut it and finish the spare motor(mo boost!!).

TTB is where I think the E36 M3 will fall.

One event at MSR/year makes it tough to go through the motions to get licensed. A trailer will make Houston and Hallet more practical...
Old May 22, 2009, 07:32 PM
Former Sponsor

our car is a trailer only car. it is un-registerable that also means we don't need insurance for it

Quick Reply: who wants a NASA time trial license?