Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Track your Evo? Watch your rotors.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2009, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Track your Evo X. Watch your rotors.

So yesterday I had a track day at the Circuit Mont Tremblant. It's an awesome track with lot of elevation change, super fast corner and 2 heavy breaking zone slowing down from more than 200 km/h.

I was happy to be back to Tremblant. Less than a month ago I was there with the Evo but I had to go home after only one session due to clutch issues.

Equipped with a new clutch, stickier tire on wider wheels and a fresh alignment, I was anxious to see what the car could do.

After my first session, I was happy with the car except for a nasty vibration braking down the faster straight. I thought it was due to rubber debris sticking to the wheels. Back in the pit I do the usual tire pressure, re torque the wheels check. There was indeed quite a few rubber pebble in my wheels so I didn't look any further.

In my second session the vibration became worst but since I'm an idiot I didn't back down. At the end of the session I was black flag for coming down the hill that are the 1,2,3 corners completely sideways at around 160 km/h. This time I knew there was something wrong.

I quick look at my front left, glowing red and smoking rotor was enough to diagnose the problem.

MY ROTOR WAS BROKEN ALL THE WAY AROUND THE HAT.

It was probably broken after my first session but I'd fail to notice the obvious crack line.

My day was over so I went to a dealership to get a new stock rotor while waiting to make a decision on what to do next with this, not really what I'd expected car. The guy at the dealership took a few pick and said he'd try to make it pass under warranty.

I'll keep you updated.

Last edited by Absent; Aug 6, 2009 at 06:47 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow. My rotors have been wicked hot, enough to cause surface cracking and "worm holes" to develop (and I've turned them at 13k miles and they are at 22k now), but as far as I know, they've not cracked there.

My Girodisc 2 pieces fronts just arrived yesterday and the 1 piece rears will be here today
Old Jul 29, 2009, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yikes dude!

Can you give us an idea of how long your sessions were?
Old Jul 29, 2009, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

This seems to be a isolated issue. There are plenty of people who track their cars here and none have reported this issue. I have personally had 2 track sessions consisting of over 30 laps with plenty of hard braking and haven't had this happen yet.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:00 AM

25 minutes. There's only heavy braking zone at this track but the brake have plenty of time to cool between each corner. Maybe there was a thermal shock of some sort even tough I'm not using brake duct.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:08 AM

Yeah I'm not saying all your rotors will crack, I'm just reminding people the importance of having a look a your brake from time to time.

I didn't because I was under the impression that new cars don't have to spend more time in the garage getting fix then out on track making their owners happy. My mistake, won't happen again.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Wow that is crazy!!! I never even checked for cracks after a hot session on a road course, but definitely will now.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slo4g63
Wow that is crazy!!! I never even checked for cracks after a hot session on a road course, but definitely will now.
Same here. I've been out twice, and check my tires consistently, but never really gave the rotors so much as a second glance. Probably something worth keeping an eye on
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

no issue when I went to nelson ledges in ohio and it's a fast track
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

This is an important reminder that you should check your brakes frequently for wear but I do believe this is an isolated incident.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the heads up. When i head to MAM, i'll be keeping my eyes on them.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 01:17 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whitecomet
no issue when I went to nelson ledges in ohio and it's a fast track
That's definitely a tricky track to go to, not for beginners. No way there is a another evo X so close, I'm at Richmond Hts, right down the road.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Ouch...

Get some Girodisc mannnnnn!

Old Jul 29, 2009, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i never heard any other then yours problem, But thanks for a heads up.
I had aprox 9K mile spirited and heavy driving in m y rotors and they are in at least great shape. Also I have Upgraded pads and fluid.
And i cooked my rotors to bluish long time ago.

good thing no accident happened.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 03:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Ouch that is definiately scary! I'm glad one of the spotters noticed this and you were able to get off the track without any further damage +1 for some GiroDisc 2pc rotors

How are you liking the new 18x9.5 Rota DPT's Remy? I was curious as to what tires you also are running on the track. I hope you are enjoying the setup

-Dan

Quick Reply: Track your Evo? Watch your rotors.