Walbro 525lph Gas/E85 in tank pump - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Walbro 525lph Gas/E85 in tank pump

Reply

 
 
 
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:27 PM
  #1  
Evolved Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Pal215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,889
Thanked 103 Times in 97 Posts
Walbro 525lph Gas/E85 in tank pump

This is a very powerful pump that Walbro / TI Automotive has developed supporting more than 800 whp. Could this be the pump that retires hobbs switch based double pumpers for the majority of us? Any experiences with it?

Has anybody installed this pump into an evo 8/9 fuel pump housing and does it go in the same way as the Walbro 450? The specs imply it should. Finally, was it really initially developed for the Hellcat?





Just when you think they're done, they've only just begun.
Pal215 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:56 PM
  #2  
Evolved Member
 
Biggiesacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Bay Area
Posts: 2,901
Thanked 172 Times in 166 Posts
damn nice find! its shorter too which should make for an even easier install. Your still going to need the hobb switch activated harness because there is no way the OEM wires are going to feed this.
Biggiesacks is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2018, 01:18 PM
  #3  
EvoM Super Moderator
iTrader: (41)
 
heel2toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,084
Thanked 56 Times in 54 Posts
There was a decent writeup on Radium's website comparing the new 525 to the older 400 pump. See here: http://www.radiumauto.com/Blog/Post/...-F90000285-109

Taken from the article I think this sums it up perfectly "Our data shows us that the F90000285 pump flows 8% more than the F90000274 pump, but in order for that to happen, it has to draw 15% more current. So it is essentially the same pump, but using more current to drive the electric motor harder"

So take that for what its worth. Could it replace a double pumper with 2x 400 pumps perhaps? I guess its similiar to when the 400 first came out and people were saying wahoo no more double pumper with 2x 255s. Regardless upgraded wiring will need to be taken into account for sure with this pump for it to flow what it claims it can do on paper.
heel2toe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2018, 01:58 PM
  #4  
Evolved Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Pal215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,889
Thanked 103 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks View Post
damn nice find! its shorter too which should make for an even easier install. Your still going to need the hobb switch activated harness because there is no way the OEM wires are going to feed this.
Originally Posted by heel2toe View Post
There was a decent writeup on Radium's website comparing the new 525 to the older 400 pump. See here: http://www.radiumauto.com/Blog/Post/...-F90000285-109

Taken from the article I think this sums it up perfectly "Our data shows us that the F90000285 pump flows 8% more than the F90000274 pump, but in order for that to happen, it has to draw 15% more current. So it is essentially the same pump, but using more current to drive the electric motor harder"

So take that for what its worth. Could it replace a double pumper with 2x 400 pumps perhaps? I guess its similiar to when the 400 first came out and people were saying wahoo no more double pumper with 2x 255s. Regardless upgraded wiring will need to be taken into account for sure with this pump for it to flow what it claims it can do on paper.

Very good info here. I suppose the only way around that is to do the STM relay hardwire kit with low gauge wire. Based on Radium Engineering's research, this is a pump that if you have a walbro 450, and you're just shy of meeting your hp goals, this is the pump to toss in the tank next. There's only so much more flow they can extract from a pump with about the same form factor as it's predecessor.
Pal215 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2018, 03:29 PM
  #5  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Abacus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 739
Thanked 67 Times in 51 Posts
The new Hellcat pump is the same size as the 450. It does flow alot more..

Like any larger fuel pump it needs to have the correct wiring to go with it to deal with the voltage requirements. Now, if you were close or just wanted to extend your fuel system you could also wire in a Boost a pump or JMS voltage booster. Any pump is going to increase output with more voltage going to it. People have been using them for years without any adverse effects. I've used them on a few cars and they've worked well.
http://kennebell.net/products/accessories/boost-a-pump/
http://www.jmschip.com/fuelmax-fuel-...ltage-booster/
http://kennebell.net/tech/fuel-tech/...ion-explained/

Last edited by Abacus; Aug 10, 2018 at 03:54 PM.
Abacus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2018, 05:01 PM
  #6  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (17)
 
hutch959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 622
Thanks: 0
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
also... the stock siphon may not take that much return flow...
hutch959 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:43 PM
  #7  
Evolved Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Pal215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,889
Thanked 103 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by hutch959 View Post
also... the stock siphon may not take that much return flow...

I see. So there will be a point where even the drilled out siphons will not be enough to handle the return. Someone with CAD software should 3d print a new, larger outlet siphon that handles increased fuel return flow, doesn't ove run the stock FPR, and keeps the siphon effect. If I upgrade my turbo one day, i'll definitely be trying a boost a pump.
Pal215 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2018, 06:57 PM
  #8  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (17)
 
hutch959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 622
Thanks: 0
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
im sure a drilled one would handle it.

but the last one i had drilled, never seemed to consistently keep the tank even...
the fuel gauge was always acting funny.
hutch959 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2018, 07:05 PM
  #9  
Evolving Member
iTrader: (21)
 
miragevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 458
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215 View Post
I see. So there will be a point where even the drilled out siphons will not be enough to handle the return. Someone with CAD software should 3d print a new, larger outlet siphon that handles increased fuel return flow, doesn't ove run the stock FPR, and keeps the siphon effect. If I upgrade my turbo one day, i'll definitely be trying a boost a pump.
One major issue with the OEM EVO 8-9 fuel pump hanger is the restrictive return port and venturi jet pump. When using aftermarket high-flow fuel pumps, the OEM jet pump becomes too restrictive creating unwanted backpressure in the regulator return line causing excessive fuel rail pressure. The Radium fuel pump hanger includes Radium's own proprietary venturi jet pump with interchangeable orifices to minimize back pressure.
miragevo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2018, 08:02 PM
  #10  
EvoM Guru
iTrader: (8)
 
razorlab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Alameda, ca
Posts: 11,008
Thanked 222 Times in 196 Posts
I wish people would stop calling these 525lph pumps. They flow 524 at 16psi which is basically *never*.

It would be like calling the F90000274 a 490lph pump, which it isn't ever in it's operational range on our cars.

Please at least baseline quote their LPH at 43psi:

F90000274: 422lph
F90000285: 459lph

Which means you are getting 37lph (8%) more flow at idle with the F90000285 over the F90000274.

Just so happens it's 8% more flow all the way up to 95psi as well.
razorlab is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.