Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

AMS Sponsored 929 Evo - NASA MW/GL @ Putnam Park Report

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2010, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMS Sponsored 929 Evo - NASA MW/GL @ Putnam Park Report

929 Evo - Double wins in class!

Last weekend was the NASA Midwest/Great Lakes crossover event at Putnam Park just outside Indianapolis. We had a total of 38 cars in the TT group hammering around the 1.77 mile track. It's a fun and highly technical track with a lot of runoff that makes it easier to push hard.

I ran in class TTB and ended up First in class both days out of 4. My best lap was a 1:18.0 which barely missed the class record by .3. I also had the 7th fastest (out of 38 cars) overall time of the weekend in TT with just some higher classed Z06's, an RX7 and a Viper ACR faster than me.

Video! This is all from Saturday. Between the raindrops and some stock intercooler hoses popping off, I didn't get many fast laps in. My fastest lap starts about 1:25 or so. It definitely wasn't a perfect lap by any means, but I was satisfied with it given the conditions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IylNoqhkrWg

For those that want to know more about the car setup, click HERE. The quick are dirty numbers are ~310whp / 3300lbs. Thanks as always to AMS Performance for a great tune, and AMSOIL for keeping the engine and brakes cool (pretty hard track on the brakes). Thanks also to my parents for coming by and supporting me!
Next up, I need to decide if I'm going to the next NASA event or Redline - same weekend!

Here's a pic from grid. That's Jeff's Silver TTS Evo to the right.

And from the pits.

Last edited by boomn29; May 18, 2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old May 18, 2010, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

lookin good!
Old May 18, 2010, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nathan, the car sounds great!

Nice driving Putnam is a fun track
Old May 18, 2010, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice showing expecially considering the car isn't super high powered or anything!

That's crazy how you have to swap parts so much between the NASA TTB & Redline Street setups.

Last edited by Hiboost; May 18, 2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old May 18, 2010, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
Nice showing expecially considering the car isn't super high powered or anything!

That's crazy how you have to swap parts so much between the NASA TTB & Redline Street setups.
Thanks guys! Yep, I'm on the stock turbo running an AMS 93oct tune!

Yeah, lots of swapping bewteen the 2 groups. My car is more setup for NASA right now but I try to straddle the line for both builds a little with some minimal swapping.

NASA TT is fun in the regards that you have to pick the right balance of parts to fit inside your particular class. Like I could run 275 Hoosier A6's, but I wouldn't have the pts for coilovers or I could run at the power/weight class limit but I could only run like a 235 r-comp. So you have to pick and choose!
With Redline, it's a lot lot more open. In Street class there's some interior & aero restrictions, along with coilover adjustablity limits and the 140+ street tires, but it's pretty open. Goal there is to max what you got and shed all the weight you can!
Old May 18, 2010, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Did you ever figure out your wheel weights?

Scorke
Old May 18, 2010, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scorke
Did you ever figure out your wheel weights?

Scorke
For the 18x9.5" Forgelines - I was told 20lbs which I think is on the high side. I didn't sport for the titanium bolts which would have saved some additional weight - maybe down the road!

Interestingly, I had tires mounted on my 18x9.5" Volk LE28's this weekend that are 1lb lighter than my other tires. In comparison, I think the LE28's are just slightly lighter, but they are damn close.
I'm not sure what the Volks weigh, but I think it's < 20lbs?

Last edited by boomn29; May 18, 2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old May 18, 2010, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Awesome.

Yeah I would say its safe to assume the CE 28 spoke pattern is one of volks lightest besides the RE30. so in that size 18-19 seems feasible.

At 20 lbs for a real 3 piece wheel where the weight is in the right place those forgelines seem like a sweet setup.

Thanks for the info!

Scorke
Old May 18, 2010, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Ever get any of that oil data?
Old May 18, 2010, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Ever get any of that oil data?
From this year or last year? I haven't got my traqmate hooked up to monitor oil temps and pressures yet. I'm still trying to figure out the wiring and such.

Last year I sent in a few (2-3 I think) oil samples for analysis. If you want to see the reports, I posted them: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...ck-review.html
Old May 18, 2010, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Ya this year, get on that son! Grats on the wins, I need to get up on Putnam some day. Old man used to race there years ago.
Old May 18, 2010, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Congrats on the double win. Once again you dominated the class.
The weekend was alot of fun, even if the the weather was not the greatest.
Hopefully someday soon I will have my car dialed in as well as yours.
Old May 19, 2010, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by racer145
Congrats on the double win. Once again you dominated the class.
The weekend was alot of fun, even if the the weather was not the greatest.
Hopefully someday soon I will have my car dialed in as well as yours.
Thx dude. Evo's are easy to drive at 7/10's - the last part is the hard part and comes with wreckless abandon! haha. I wish I had felt better Sunday and would have stayed for some lead/follow with you and the S2k's.

It's nice seeing more Evo's at Midwest events for sure. 3 in TT this weekend! At least another 2-3 in the HPDE groups too.
Old May 19, 2010, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

haha, i was hoping that you guys always had more evos... haha, now i know it was just a fluke. The white one in hpde 1-3 (not sure) had a serious flutter/compressor surge thing going on. Needed to dump the bov he had... was baaaaaddd from the side of the track.
Old May 19, 2010, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
haha, i was hoping that you guys always had more evos... haha, now i know it was just a fluke. The white one in hpde 1-3 (not sure) had a serious flutter/compressor surge thing going on. Needed to dump the bov he had... was baaaaaddd from the side of the track.
This year myself and Jeff (silver Evo) will probably be at most events. Ryan (white Evo) is more focused on Redline I think but he'll be out at some. That's 3 pretty regular!

Yeah, some of the HPDE guys just don't understand do they! But it's mad JDM soundin yo! lol.
I talked to a guy last year with a Subie that was bragging on his SPT factory exhaust that cost him like $900 installed for a catback that he claimed gave him like 13hp. Rock on...

Quick Reply: AMS Sponsored 929 Evo - NASA MW/GL @ Putnam Park Report