Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Mt. Washington Hillclimb Returns in 2011!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2010, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mt. Washington Hillclimb Returns in 2011!

::Shortened Official Press Release::

CLIMB TO THE CLOUDS TO RETURN TO MT. WASHINGTON IN 2011

Legendary Automobile Hillclimb will be part of the Mt. Washington Auto Road’s 150th Anniversary Celebration

(Sept 14, 2010) Colchester, Vermont – Officials with Vermont SportsCar, located in Colchester, Vermont and the Mt. Washington Auto Road, located in Pinkham Notch, New Hampshire, announced today that the legendary Mt. Washington Climb to the Clouds Automobile Hillclimb will be returning June 22-26, 2011 as a major motorsports event. The Mt. Washington Climb to the Clouds, first run in 1904, is one of America’s oldest motorsports events. The 7.6 mile Auto Road is one of the ultimate challenges for driver and automobile, the serpentine tarmac and gravel road is lined with trees and dramatic drop-offs as it winds its way to the 6,288 foot summit of the Northeast’s tallest peak. Organized by Vermont SportsCar and sanctioned by RallyCar, the 2011 Climb to the Clouds will be a 5-day festival of motorsports that hopes to attract a 70-car competition field filled with some of the best drivers from around the world competing for “King of the Hill” honors.

Considered one of the oldest motorsports events in the United States, the Climb to the Clouds was first run in 1904, seven years before the first 500-mile race at the Brickyard in Indianapolis and twelve years prior to the inaugural Pikes Peak Hillclimb in Colorado. The Climb to the Clouds was run sporadically from 1904-1961, then not again until the 1990’s. The last time the Climb to the Clouds was run was in 2001 on a rain shortened course.

“The Climb to the Clouds is an amazing event on an amazing road,” explains Lance Smith, owner of Vermont SportsCar. “With the 150th birthday of the Mt. Washington Auto Road coming up in 2011 we felt it was time to just step in and make sure the Climb to the Clouds could return. We have made a great arrangement with the Mt. Washington Auto Road to bring the event back in 2011. We’ll do our best to include many of the people who have a history there, who have experience there and who have supported the event in the past. It’s going to be a lot of fun.”

Following the return of the Mt. Washington Hillclimb in 1990 after the 29-year hiatus, the event was run annually as part of the Mt. Washington Auto Road’s summer event schedule until 2001. During that time, several new records were shared between 7-time Sports Car Club of America National Rally Champion Paul Choiniere from Shelburne, Vermont and multi-time Canadian Rally Champion Frank Sprongl from Mississauga, Ontario. The current Climb to the Clouds record of 6 minutes and 41.99 seconds was set by Sprongl in 1998 driving his 500+ horsepower all-wheel-drive Audi Quattro S2.

Sprongl may still hold the fastest race-day time for the Climb to the Clouds event but his time was bested by over twenty seconds this past Wednesday (Sept 8, 2010) in an officially timed private test session by Subaru Rally Team USA driver Travis Pastrana at the Mt. Washington Auto Road, on the Climb to the Clouds course, as part of The Red Bull Speed Chasers event. The test session was conducted by Vermont SportsCar along with Mt. Washington Auto Road officials to evaluate road and safety needs in a race-like setting ahead of the 2011 Climb to the Clouds. The test included extensive filming as well as in-car video of Travis Pastrana’s test runs. The Red Bull Speed Chasers project will air on "World of Adventure Sports" on NBC as well as "Transit Chapters" on MSG this fall. Video highlights are available online today here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdXJYc4CpXA .

Those competing in the 2011 Climb to the Clouds will be treated to a recently re-paved road surface below the tree-line while some newly paved surfaces above tree-line will certainly help make the course faster than it has ever been. Pastrana, driving a BFGoodrich Tires-shod Vermont SportsCar prepared 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI rally car, bested Sprongl’s record time on his first ever at-speed run to the summit, after seeing the Mt. Washington Auto Road for the very first time the day prior, setting a time of 6min 20.47 seconds. Three subsequent runs were slowed or stopped short of the finish due to near zero visibility from low clouds and inclement weather, a hallmark of the Mt. Washington Auto Road. However, split times from each of Pastrana’s subsequent partial runs were significantly faster than his first run as he became more comfortable with the road. Event officials, along with Pastrana, concluded that a sub six minute run could be possible in 2011 if conditions are good.

“The Climb to the Clouds has always been a thrilling event right from its inception in 1904,” said Howie Wemyss, General Manager of the Mt. Washington Auto Road. “The race is an important part of our heritage and a piece that always gets great attention when we're telling that story. We're so glad that Vermont SportsCar shares our enthusiasm for bringing this great event back as a major part of our 150th birthday celebration in 2011. With Vermont SportsCar’s connections in the rally world we're sure to have one of the most exciting races and race weekends that we've ever seen here at Mt Washington."

ABOUT THE MT. WASHINGTON AUTO ROAD

The Mt. Washington Auto Road is considered by many hillclimb racers to be extremely technical with a narrow road surface that averages just over 16 feet wide. In addition to being very narrow with precipitous drop-offs that vary from side to side, the road is also incredibly steep, with an average 12% grade and gaining slightly more than 4,600 feet in total elevation change from the start line to the finish line. The road surface is mostly tarmac with approximately one mile of gravel and contains more than 100 turns and switchbacks as it snakes its way to the 6,288 foot summit of the Northeast’s tallest peak.

Utilizing the same 7.6 mile road as the original 1904 event the 2011 Climb to the Clouds Hillclimb will play a key role in the Mt. Washington Auto Road’s year-long 150th anniversary celebration as the oldest manmade tourist attraction in the United States.

The 2011 Climb to the Clouds will take place at the base of the Mt. Washington Auto Road in Pinkham Notch, NH June 22 through 26, 2011. Further details regarding the event, including competition classes and entry information will be available early this fall. The event will be organized by Vermont Sportscar and sanctioned by RallyCar (formerly Rally America). For more information regarding the 2011 Climb to the Clouds please send an E-mail with your questions to info@climbtotheclouds.com. Further information on the event will be available at www.climbtotheclouds.com this fall.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great info. Thanks

The last time hill climb that I did was in Herhey PA which is another historic race dating back to the 50's. This however is in a different catagory completely. I may very well be down for running this. I wonder what kind of tires they used for the mixed surface. Some sort of rally breed I suppose.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 01:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i'll def. try to run it.
Hill climb is my 2nd favorite
Old Sep 18, 2010, 01:43 AM
Evolved Member

I'm still steamed about this. They had to go put it the same weekend as PPIHC? WTF!!!

Dave
Old Sep 18, 2010, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
I'm still steamed about this. They had to go put it the same weekend as PPIHC? WTF!!!

Dave
hey skip it and come here I will def. try my best to make it to this event.

I already booked myself to it. Would be great if you would show them how you run a hill climb evo .
Let them know in the East side too.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
hey skip it and come here I will def. try my best to make it to this event.
Seriously thinking about it. The icing on the cake of stupidness is that 2011 will be the last year there is any dirt on PPIHC....so I won't get the chance to run these corners again all slideways (~40 seconds in):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai75q...21E17AABB10C83

Dave
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

I was thinking this event was close to ppihc. Same weekend tho? That sucks.

I am putting this event on my calander. I'm going to try and round up some PHA hillclimbers for the event. I kno we have a few folks that have experienced this hill already. Can't wait!
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

i always used and try to using the hill climbs as best practice and affordable place what rally drivers can have and do.
To run it a first time makes it even better since you really need a co-driver, so the practice to learn each other makes it up for the extra weight LOL

Seriously the hill climbs are the place where the evos should go . I just couldnt make it to this weekend hill climb in MT Ascuteney , but i'm already looking up the next event

So next year i try to run 3 rally and 3 hill climbs , at least.
I hope i'll see you guys one of the event.

Rob
Old Sep 19, 2010, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

They say in the Press Release they will get all the best drivers from around the world to compete, sorry, but I doubt it, being it is on the same weekend as Pikes Peak - DUMB MOVE!

They'll get the local hillclimbers and Travis and Frank Sprongle and the DSG guys, but I think that may be the extent, but that is it.

Unless the rally community shows up and the Irish boys go nuts.

We last ran it in 1999 & 2000 in our evo 5 Grp N. (32mm restrictor)

These shots were coming around Craigway - midpoint of the hill.

Our best time was 6;48. Given tire technology, turbo technology, ECU technology, suspension technology, and Fuel technology (E85!!!) etc has all moved on substantially, Id say there is a good 30 -40 seconds again there, conservatively speaking.

Pastrana, in a lot of our views, didnt SET a new record. He had a good test day, but there is no Record. Frank Sprongels record still stands, for now, until 2011, as for a record to such, it needs A: competition as per every other record, a class, per rules and regulations, the car scrutineered per regulations and finally official timing and timers, and a time that is officially signed off by the recognised adjudicator, which is the clerk of the course. Nothing against Travis, but null and void on his time being considered a record as it didnt meet any of the above criteria that creates records under official sanctioning.

JD
Old Sep 20, 2010, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JeffDOZ
They say in the Press Release they will get all the best drivers from around the world to compete, sorry, but I doubt it, being it is on the same weekend as Pikes Peak - DUMB MOVE!

They'll get the local hillclimbers and Travis and Frank Sprongle and the DSG guys, but I think that may be the extent, but that is it.

Unless the rally community shows up and the Irish boys go nuts.

We last ran it in 1999 & 2000 in our evo 5 Grp N. (32mm restrictor)

These shots were coming around Craigway - midpoint of the hill.

Our best time was 6;48. Given tire technology, turbo technology, ECU technology, suspension technology, and Fuel technology (E85!!!) etc has all moved on substantially, Id say there is a good 30 -40 seconds again there, conservatively speaking.

Pastrana, in a lot of our views, didnt SET a new record. He had a good test day, but there is no Record. Frank Sprongels record still stands, for now, until 2011, as for a record to such, it needs A: competition as per every other record, a class, per rules and regulations, the car scrutineered per regulations and finally official timing and timers, and a time that is officially signed off by the recognised adjudicator, which is the clerk of the course. Nothing against Travis, but null and void on his time being considered a record as it didnt meet any of the above criteria that creates records under official sanctioning.

JD

i hear you on that.

I hope they will still let running us, not just a best drivers around the world...
Im sure i can drag up there 1-2 irish drivers with me LOL
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Here is Sprongl's thoughts on this record.

http://i.autoblog.com/2010/09/17/fra...shington-auto/

No codrivers! That's cheating.

I hope it's mostly the local hillclimbers racing. We all do our best to keep hillclimbing alive in the US.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
No codrivers! That's cheating.

I hope it's mostly the local hillclimbers racing. We all do our best to keep hillclimbing alive in the US.
Thanks for posting the link. Interesting read for sure!

IMO, if they're racing rally cars, carrying a navvie is fair game and should be up to each team. For someone who's got 10 years of racing on the hill, carrying the extra weight of a navvie could be considered dumb. For those who don't have 10 year of experience on the road at speed, the payoff for carrying a navvie is essentially that you do "know" the road.

For a road that only periodically allows racing, it could take a lifetime for guys just getting started to have 10 shots at the road at race pace (unless your sponsor will rent the road for you ). All it'll take is a fatality (spectator or competitor) to ensure that the race won't happen again anytime soon. If carrying a navvie helps minimize that chance, I say go for it!

FWIW, after 4 years of racing at PPIHC, I think I can damn near drive the road in my head...but I love having my wife at my side as we go screaming up the side of the mountain. If she weren't along for the ride, it wouldn't be nearly as rewarding...and likely wouldn't be racing in as nice of a car.

Dave
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
Thanks for posting the link. Interesting read for sure!

IMO, if they're racing rally cars, carrying a navvie is fair game and should be up to each team. For someone who's got 10 years of racing on the hill, carrying the extra weight of a navvie could be considered dumb. For those who don't have 10 year of experience on the road at speed, the payoff for carrying a navvie is essentially that you do "know" the road.

For a road that only periodically allows racing, it could take a lifetime for guys just getting started to have 10 shots at the road at race pace (unless your sponsor will rent the road for you ). All it'll take is a fatality (spectator or competitor) to ensure that the race won't happen again anytime soon. If carrying a navvie helps minimize that chance, I say go for it!

FWIW, after 4 years of racing at PPIHC, I think I can damn near drive the road in my head...but I love having my wife at my side as we go screaming up the side of the mountain. If she weren't along for the ride, it wouldn't be nearly as rewarding...and likely wouldn't be racing in as nice of a car.

Dave
i'm also with you in this Dave.
I think only rally cars are allowed to have a licensed co -driver anyway...
Well , im only running hill climbs if the co-driver is allowed. There for we run a different groupe.
Other wise it is not beneficial for us rally guys. Im and my co driver is need a seat time together, and the best place for it is a hill climb. Mostly or i can say all rally drivers -teams do this hill climb events for seat time together with a co driver.
Not to winning a cup. Mostly they dont anyway, since they car under powered and over weight vs the other classes. That is a main reason they got they own class as a rally cars.

Rob
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

I'm fine with allowing Navigators. My thought tho is, it should take you 10 years to be able to compete for the hill record. That is sorta the history and tradition of hillclimbing.

As for a tragic incident happening. Look at crow mtn.
http://www.crowmountainhillclimb.org/ horrible thing, but they are pushing on. If you have a good sanctioning body is a good one then there is a better chance of not losing the hill
Old Sep 20, 2010, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Double post, sorry!

Trust me when I say I might be able to walk up sections faster then I will drive them
the first few times.

Last edited by jerdeitzel; Sep 20, 2010 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Mt. Washington Hillclimb Returns in 2011!