Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Official 2011 Formula One Discussion F1

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KPerez
Official: the Hulk and DiResta: http://www.pitpass.com/45426-Force-I...and-Hulkenberg
This is it for the Hulk...he has to prove himself next year...he has a seat in a competitive car so there R no car excuses...DiResta is good so there will B a lot of pressure to, at the worst, match his pace or beat him, at the best. This will B interesting to C the outcome. As for displaced Sutil, still think he goes to Williams.

Later, Ken
I'm not sure Force India really is considered competitive. Besides, DiResta is so good, he will make any teammate look mediocre
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GG06MR
Coming from an NA Honda I4 performance background before getting my Evo, NA is way less complex....at least from my experience. High compression, big cams, and revs and you're making power. Everyone uses just about the same solution. With turbo's there are just so many different means to an end with them though. You see that here on EvoM. If given access to each team's final solution, I bet you'd see a pretty diverse range in turbo sizing, cam profiles, location of powerband, etc. I'm excited to see what new technologies the engine suppliers come up with to maximize performance out of these new packages, particularly those that maximize throttle response and spool characteristics. I'm confident that they're going to come up with some pretty slick ways to make them perform extremely similar to that of an NA car(with regards to response and driveability), yet with the power capabilities of a boosted car. Should be pretty cool!
Yes, I agree it is more difficult to build and optimize a forced induction engine than normally aspirated engine. That said, turbo charged engines R not new to F1 and were used extensively in the "old" days. I am not sure but I think Renault had a turbo charged car back in the 70-80's. Similarly, blown diffusers, used this year, were also prevalent in years gone past. So my confusion is why does Renault now find it so "complex" and "difficult" to develop a V6 turbo for F1? After all this is a company that presently has an extensive offerings of turbo charging in their production cars. Perhaps Renault is blowing smoke up their own chimney.

Later, Ken
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by brave1heart
I'm not sure Force India really is considered competitive. Besides, DiResta is so good, he will make any teammate look mediocre
I used the term "competitive" for FI in the sence that they R certainly better than Williams, the team were the Hulk had his last seat and FI is near/at the top of the mid field runners....and yes, the Hulk will have work cut out for himself trying to match DiResta.

Later, Ken
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, I agree it is more difficult to build and optimize a forced induction engine than normally aspirated engine. That said, turbo charged engines R not new to F1 and were used extensively in the "old" days. I am not sure but I think Renault had a turbo charged car back in the 70-80's. Similarly, blown diffusers, used this year, were also prevalent in years gone past. So my confusion is why does Renault now find it so "complex" and "difficult" to develop a V6 turbo for F1? After all this is a company that presently has an extensive offerings of turbo charging in their production cars. Perhaps Renault is blowing smoke up their own chimney.

Later, Ken
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the turbo cars in the "old days" were not as limited by so many additional rules and regulations, such as max revs, longevity, etc., and they also had unlimited transmissions to work with, so could maximize gear ratios for each track. They're pretty much being tasked with coming up with the best set-up for all tracks, corners, conditions based primarily on simualtions and past history, and I can not imagine that is an easy thing to do.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the turbo cars in the "old days" were not as limited by so many additional rules and regulations, such as max revs, longevity, etc., and they also had unlimited transmissions to work with, so could maximize gear ratios for each track. They're pretty much being tasked with coming up with the best set-up for all tracks, corners, conditions based primarily on simualtions and past history, and I can not imagine that is an easy thing to do.
Sounds reasonable...it would B nice if Renault would provide a little more detail explaining their difficutlies when discussing this issue....but I guess they would rather leave the general public and competitors completely in the dark.

Later, Ken
Old Dec 22, 2011, 02:43 AM
Evolved Member

If I had this guy around my neck, I would not B smiling! http://www.yallaf1.com/2011/12/19/mo...winning-again/
I can't let it go.

Later, Ken
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:53 AM
Evolved Member

A Present from Santa

Well, the news this time of year is a little slow but then all of a sudden... Santa has come to the rescue...The big gas bag, Montezemolo is going to leave Ferrari for a run at italian politics, a job well suited to his skills, diarrhea of the mouth. Evidence U ask?... "The second republic has failed. We need new faces and new ideas because the next elections will be of historic importance,....[signed] Luca di Montezemolo, future president of Italy". Now if he does run and looses, God forbid, then he will come wimpering home to Ferrari for his old seat. So I have this Recommendation for Ferrari: Don't do it...this is UR chance to get rid of an old boil that should have been excised years ago. Find somebody that represents the company with deeds rather than BS. ....I feel much better now!...Than U Santa

Later, Ken
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:28 AM
Evolved Member

Oh No!...say it aint so

Like all politicians and blowhards, taking everything that they say and write as BS: http://www.yallaf1.com/2011/12/22/mo...dency-reports/
the Grinch just stole a major X-Mass present from me

Later, Ken
Old Dec 23, 2011, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Like all politicians and blowhards, taking everything that they say and write as BS: http://www.yallaf1.com/2011/12/22/mo...dency-reports/
the Grinch just stole a major X-Mass present from me

Later, Ken
Ken,

I think your new year's resolution should be to think more positive next year.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking about blowing, could someone clarify if only one company will be building the turbos for all teams in an attempt to cut costs. I could've sworn I heard one of the SpeedTV announcer mention that during the last race.

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Dec 24, 2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 03:25 AM
Evolved Member

Ken,

I think your new year's resolution should be to think more positive next year.
When it comes to Ferrari's talking head, I loose it...maybe some therapy...on the sofa, " Doc, I just can't help myself..." U NO the rest.

Later, Ken
Old Dec 27, 2011, 03:52 AM
Evolved Member

We all knew Kimi loved to party and that fun and drinks were had. That said, it seems Kimi is on the hard stuff a la Akvavit and Vodka...This from Berger: “But is he capable of reaching the top again? I would say 50/50. To achieve this, he may need to lift his foot off the vodka and impose better self discipline”

Later, Ken
Old Jan 4, 2012, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

Not much doing these days except talk about who will get Williams seat next to Maldenado...looked like Sutil was best bet but now Rubens got some extra $$ making his claim to retain seat more likely...experience in development and past race results but this brings up the issue: Keep established drivers (Rubens, Schumi, Truilli, DeLaRosa, etc) or let the new guys have a shot....Take Senna for the latter, is he really worthy or is his last name carrying him along? He did get a shot with a competitive team at Renault but really did not shine there...so how much time does one need in what car to prove his worth? Rubens drove in a top car and won a few but could not really outdrive Ferrari's #1 (although team orders provided more wins than he, Schumi, deserved)...yet looked mediocre at best while at Williams...for latter, was it him i.e., he's lost it or was it the crappy car? In short, how does one size up the potential of a driver when he driving a slower car/different car than his competitors and how do U compare same to the older drivers who have won GP's but in faster/competitive cars? Since there is no IROC in F1, I guess it becomes a real crap shoot.

Later, Ken
Old Jan 5, 2012, 03:56 AM
Evolved Member

FOTA & Concord: Linkage

Well, it seems that the big boys have been wheelin and dealin behind closed doors: http://www.yallaf1.com/2012/01/05/to...-new-concorde/
Bernie mantra seems to B: If U leave FOTA and sign new Concord (thereby forcing others teams to follow), U get extra $$$...so if any of U thought F1 had no political antics, this should put that idea to bed!

Later, Ken
Old Jan 5, 2012, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Well, it seems that the big boys have been wheelin and dealin behind closed doors: http://www.yallaf1.com/2012/01/05/to...-new-concorde/
Bernie mantra seems to B: If U leave FOTA and sign new Concord (thereby forcing others teams to follow), U get extra $$$...so if any of U thought F1 had no political antics, this should put that idea to bed!

Later, Ken
LOL. Ferrari, first to leave, or at least threaten to leave, and also first to come back. Sucks to be the rest of the teams following them back and forth like a little puppy. McLaren, Mercedes, Renault, etc. have to be pissed about this.....unless they'll all be getting a big chunk of money from F1 to drop FOTA.

Quick Reply: Official 2011 Formula One Discussion F1