Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Package conversion: IX MR to IX SE? (SCCA Solo)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Package conversion: IX MR to IX SE? (SCCA Solo)

So I was looking to pick up an IX for SCCA STU autocross. A silver SE would have been the holy grail, but I ended up finding a silver MR "SE" (red stitched seats, woo) with low miles in pretty good shape and went with that.

I've seen this page:
http://www.vorshlag.com/tech_evoweights.php

and it seems to indicate that the SE should be 30-35 lbs lighter than the MR. I'm guessing most of that is the transmission.

I have no intention right now of doing this, but I've read a lot of the threads about 6-speed failures. A lot of folks end up replacing it with a 5 speed, which overall seems to have less problems. I was trying to figure out - if I wanted to replace my 6 speed with a 5 speed, what else would I have to change in order for my car to legally be an SE for STU autocross purposes?

Compared to the base IX, the SE adds:
-red stitched seats
-the front lip/zero lift thingie
-BBS's
-aluminum roof
-HIDs/fog lights

The only things I know of that the MR has that the SE doesn't:
-6 speed (and associated hardware - shifter cables, clutch, shifter trim, etc)
-vortex generators
-gauge pack (comfort/convenience)
-MR badges (removable in ST)
-Bilsteins (shocks open in ST)

So it seems like a 5-speed swap, and removing the vortex thingies would pretty much turn an MR SE into an SE. Does that sound right? Are there any other things that would have to be converted?

Let's not get into the /merits/ of doing this. It's a lot of work for probably not a lot of benefit and I can only see myself doing it if the 6-speed failed out of warranty or something like that. I'm just curious as to the legality

thanks
john
Old Feb 23, 2011, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
So I was looking to pick up an IX for SCCA STU autocross. A silver SE would have been the holy grail, but I ended up finding a silver MR "SE" (red stitched seats, woo) with low miles in pretty good shape and went with that.

I've seen this page:
http://www.vorshlag.com/tech_evoweights.php

and it seems to indicate that the SE should be 30-35 lbs lighter than the MR. I'm guessing most of that is the transmission.

I have no intention right now of doing this, but I've read a lot of the threads about 6-speed failures. A lot of folks end up replacing it with a 5 speed, which overall seems to have less problems. I was trying to figure out - if I wanted to replace my 6 speed with a 5 speed, what else would I have to change in order for my car to legally be an SE for STU autocross purposes?

Compared to the base IX, the SE adds:
-red stitched seats
-the front lip/zero lift thingie
-BBS's
-aluminum roof
-HIDs/fog lights

The only things I know of that the MR has that the SE doesn't:
-6 speed (and associated hardware - shifter cables, clutch, shifter trim, etc)
-vortex generators
-gauge pack (comfort/convenience)
-MR badges (removable in ST)
-Bilsteins (shocks open in ST)

So it seems like a 5-speed swap, and removing the vortex thingies would pretty much turn an MR SE into an SE. Does that sound right? Are there any other things that would have to be converted?

Let's not get into the /merits/ of doing this. It's a lot of work for probably not a lot of benefit and I can only see myself doing it if the 6-speed failed out of warranty or something like that. I'm just curious as to the legality

thanks
john
Wanna trade? I was actually looking for a MR/MR SE but ended up with a silver SE

Eric
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:37 PM
EvoM Guru

I'll PM you

Probably easier for us to swap transmissions though. Or coasts.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

I'm sure the vortex generator would be overlooked by most competitors.

The tranny swap is all I'd be worried about. If you were running stock, you'd have much more to worry about of course. Lol
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
I'll PM you

Probably easier for us to swap transmissions though. Or coasts.
PM'd back. I figure it's a long shot

It just happened that when I'm looking for the MR/MR SE, none are really close by, hence why I settled for the SE.

Eric
Old Feb 24, 2011, 07:09 AM

I'm in the same boat, got an MR instead of a SE, but oh well higher resale down the road... maybe. I also daily it and my previous car was a six speed, so that was part of it.
I haven't been to nationals yet, but my wife went last year and was shocked by the amount of protest, some legit, some trivial. So I personally plan to keep rocking the 6 speed, there is no shortage of spares out there, and at STU power levels its kinda of a moot point.

Best of Luck
Chris
Old Nov 21, 2011, 02:52 PM

Bump this up...

Is the 6 speed a true killer in an STU trim MR? What about on a BSP MR?

What is a safe 2nd gear rev limit and 2nd gear speed limit on a properly tuned STU EVO MR?

What is a safe 2nd gear rev limit and 2nd gear speed limit on a properly tuned BSP EVO MR?

PS: vortex "spoiler" and front lip differences are all fair game now in STU if they are OEM/JDM/EDM Mitsubishi stuff or replicas.

Last edited by S1MPSONS; Nov 21, 2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 03:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by S1MPSONS
Bump this up...

Is the 6 speed a true killer in an STU trim MR? What about on a BSP MR?

What is a safe 2nd gear rev limit and 2nd gear speed limit on a properly tuned STU EVO MR?

What is a safe 2nd gear rev limit and 2nd gear speed limit on a properly tuned BSP EVO MR?

PS: vortex "spoiler" and front lip differences are all fair game now in STU if they are OEM/JDM/EDM Mitsubishi stuff or replicas.
So this is redundant but I'll reply here too

When I was digging through the old STU threads, the consensus I got was that 7800 was pretty safe. Some folks went a little higher, but that was not seen to be as safe

I've hit 61.x, measured using a MaxQ, on 245-40-17, i.e. shorter than stock, tires.

Fineburg would be a good guy to talk to about the BSP stuff. His car is an MR and I'm pretty sure it's got a 5 speed now but I'm not sure. I can sort of imagine 400 whp (or whatever he has) causing some issues w/ the 6 speed.

Another conversion to the dark side?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I remember talking to Geoff a couple years back at the SF divisional and he said something like his limiter was at 8600 or something crazy (STU car). I'm not sure if he was pulling my chain or not, but I wouldn't think that would be safe. I would stick with 7800 or so.

I used to have a 6spd in my SM car and was close to 400whp (more like 365-370), and I was on the limiter all the time running 285/30/18s. I think 2nd topped out somewhere around 57-58mph. I ended up bumping my limiter up to 8400, which helped, but I'm also on upgraded valvetrain. Now I've got a 5spd in, but I only rev to 7800 because I got a built 2.3.

Long story short... with the 6spd in BSP trim and assuming a stock limiter, you'll be hitting the top of 2nd going less than 60mph. With the 5spd, you'll be closer to 61-62mph. It can make a significant difference on an autox course.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

On a BSP trim evo. With the 7800 rev limit. We get about 64.75mph out of 2nd gear. That's as high as the stock valvetrain likes. 3rd gear shifts aren't that bad. Though I wish I could get another 3-5mph out of it.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 06:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
On a BSP trim evo. With the 7800 rev limit. We get about 64.75mph out of 2nd gear. That's as high as the stock valvetrain likes. 3rd gear shifts aren't that bad. Though I wish I could get another 3-5mph out of it.
285-30-18s I presume?
Old Sep 6, 2013, 07:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Bumping this up.

I still need to line up the transmission, which is the hard part.. but any other input on the legality of the conversion? Just the 5-speed, associated hardware, and removing the VG's should make the car an SE for STU purposes (since all the other differences are allowances), right?

thanks
john
Old Sep 6, 2013, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wasn't the vortex generator an option for every evo? yes, yes it was... every MR option was available to the SE's to include the aluminum roof which would be the biggest killer if you tried to pass as a gsr...
Old Sep 7, 2013, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I didn't think the VG was an option for every Evo, it was just standard on the MR and MRSE iirc.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Not to ruffle any feathers - but VG is a comfort / convenience item IMO. You can install an aftermarket rear window visor or stick with the OEM.

Quick Reply: Package conversion: IX MR to IX SE? (SCCA Solo)