Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

929 Evo - Initial 2011 Track Day Testing!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boomn29
Can't. Like you mentioned; that'd be a 3pt splitter and 3pt air dam. We covered all this a few months back in the Aero thread that EVOlutionary started; it's a freakin huge thread!
I thought about going that route, but dumping 10 of my 34pts on aero bothers me! (the last 5 being the FI penalty/equalizer).

If you wanna try to make 408 on the stocker on a lean tune, go for it. I'm not going to try it. Not trying to be a dick, but havne't you popped a few engines already?
I didn't say lean, I said aggressive. The Evo has 92k miles on it, and other than a bad head gasket it's never failed. STi is the trouble maker when it comes to engines. 4G63's are just tanks. We're no where near their limit with what we're trying to accomplish.

Originally Posted by KevinD
the stock evo 8 turbo wont make 400whp, no matter what you do (at least on the dyno we use). its maxxed out around 370whp. an evo 9 turbo can do 400whp on our dyno though, but it takes every trick in the book (to many points to make it worth it, at least IMO. i've 398whp on the dyno, stock 9 turbo, no cams before, but it had ported intake manifold, throttlebody, exhaust manifold, and pipes, exhaust etc... on e85.
Are you talking DJ or Mustang numbers here? I made 380 something on a dynojet, Evo 8 turbo, e85. And according to most people in the tuning section of the forums I can be making a lot more.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MSP608
I didn't say lean, I said aggressive. The Evo has 92k miles on it, and other than a bad head gasket it's never failed. STi is the trouble maker when it comes to engines. 4G63's are just tanks. We're no where near their limit with what we're trying to accomplish.

Are you talking DJ or Mustang numbers here? I made 380 something on a dynojet, Evo 8 turbo, e85. And according to most people in the tuning section of the forums I can be making a lot more.
i always refer to numbers on a mustang dyno, cause thats what we have around here, and thats what we use when we dyno tune.

380whp on a dynojet with e85 sounds about right. , i believe you can make more too. a lot more? depends on what mods you have. your racing TTA too? where are all your points at?

Last edited by KevinD; Mar 30, 2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boomn29, are you running injectors and a walbro 255 fuel pump? your blog says no. and from my testing you'll be maxxed out around 310-320whp on our dyno on pump gas (race gas a little more due to timing only, but no more boost because the pump is weak). those 2 points are worth 30-40whp at least on our dyno by running e85, and definately 40-50ftlb of torque.
Stock injectors, stock pump. Stock turbo, stock cams, stock bottom end, stock trans, etc. Right now, stock FMIC (in order to run the aero)

23,500 miles on the car, 60+ track days.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Do ambient temps really have that much affect on brakes? Rotors get up to what temps, 1,000 something degrees? The percentage difference between ambient temps at 40 degrees and double that isn't very much at all when rotors are getting up to 1,000+. I could be completely wrong, but it's something to ponder.
I honestly have no idea. I think thats a question for someone whos an expert in the field of Physics/Thermodynamics. Im guessing that it does make a difference, just not sure by how much.

TTS has close to the same power limits as TTA. however TTS has unlimited suspension, aero, chassis, etc...
TTA and TTS have the exact same weight/power ratio limits.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Bueller

TTA and TTS have the exact same weight/power ratio limits.
I think he meant with regards as to getting that power and not taking points, TTS has the ability to have a fatter, broader, more torque, etc which could be generally considered " more power"
Old Mar 30, 2011, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

i always refer to numbers on a mustang dyno, cause thats what we have around here, and thats what we use when we dyno tune.

380whp on a dynojet with e85 sounds about right. , i believe you can make more too. a lot more? depends on what mods you have. your racing TTA too? where are all your points at?
Ah, okay. I think I have enough done to be making over 400 whp safely. I'm not really running TTA anymore. I use to TT an STi which I'm now focusing more on racing in ST-2. I got screwed on my reclass with the STi, and have always said it's unfair they're based the same as an Evo 9 when the Evo is so much more capable. My street car is an Evo 8 which I've tracked a couple times before, and am considering going after my old STi TTA times just to see if I can do it.

As the car sits:

** +14
turbo +5
intake +1
exhaust +2
exh mani +2
cat +1
cams +6
fmic +4
mbc +4
fuel +2
springs +2
r6 +10
245 -1

total 52

I'd at least get sways and a real set of springs for the stock struts before I tried this. I'm also getting a built head, so I'd probably ditch the pnp exhaust manifold

Originally Posted by boomn29
Stock injectors, stock pump. Stock turbo, stock cams, stock bottom end, stock trans, etc. Right now, stock FMIC (in order to run the aero)

23,500 miles on the car, 60+ track days.
Huh, didn't know you were running the stock pump and injectors. Do you know what IDC you're hitting?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 02:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Balrok
I think he meant with regards as to getting that power and not taking points, TTS has the ability to have a fatter, broader, more torque, etc which could be generally considered " more power"
exactly. i guess technically the limits are the same, but you can do a lot more with a TTS car then a TTA car and thus it can be considerably faster.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 02:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Ah, okay. I think I have enough done to be making over 400 whp safely. I'm not really running TTA anymore. I use to TT an STi which I'm now focusing more on racing in ST-2. I got screwed on my reclass with the STi, and have always said it's unfair they're based the same as an Evo 9 when the Evo is so much more capable. My street car is an Evo 8 which I've tracked a couple times before, and am considering going after my old STi TTA times just to see if I can do it.

As the car sits:

** +14
turbo +5
intake +1
exhaust +2
exh mani +2
cat +1
cams +6
fmic +4
mbc +4
fuel +2
springs +2
r6 +10
245 -1

total 52

I'd at least get sways and a real set of springs for the stock struts before I tried this. I'm also getting a built head, so I'd probably ditch the pnp exhaust manifold
TxEvo8 has almost that exact setup on his car. even has a ported big valve head on it for +6. although he was running NT-01 tires, and had coilovers. the other guys in the class were complaining because he was dusting everyone on the straights so we have to get it dynoed now. most likely we are going to take the head off and go for more grip because hes most likely over the power limit.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

I'm taking it to Kans on Saturday to see exactly what power I'm making and will report back. I really want to keep the head on the car if I could, so much work..
Old Mar 30, 2011, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

TxEvo8 has almost that exact setup on his car. even has a ported big valve head on it for +6. although he was running NT-01 tires, and had coilovers. the other guys in the class were complaining because he was dusting everyone on the straights so we have to get it dynoed now. most likely we are going to take the head off and go for more grip because hes most likely over the power limit.
Either I'm reading this wrong, or you're pretty much aditting he's been running illegally?

I find it hard to believe all that work was done and the car was never tuned on the dyno to provide a sheet.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

As the car sits:

** +14
turbo +5
intake +1
exhaust +2
exh mani +2
cat +1
cams +6
fmic +4
mbc +4
fuel +2
springs +2
r6 +10
245 -1

total 52

TTC +14 start; meaning you have 1 pt left to stay TTA legal. And you'd just be on stock suspension with springs? With the open diffs and no ACD? That'll be an interesting config; but ya never know!

Last edited by boomn29; Mar 30, 2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
exactly. i guess technically the limits are the same, but you can do a lot more with a TTS car then a TTA car and thus it can be considerably faster.
While this is an accurate statement, it is not usually the case here in NASA-SE. TTS here is filled with cars that aren't quite TTA legal, but were generally not purpose built TTS cars. As a result, oten the winning TTA times are no better than the TTS times.

Some of this can be attributed to people like me who will have to run in TTS (points) but are not fully TTS prepped. I have some 'stupid' points that would cost $$$$ to reverse. Things like the Evo 8 3-4 gears in my tranny, 3 points. My JDM rear bumper will get hit with diffuser points, and so on.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jim,

I don't think you'd get dinged for diffuser points since there is (may have to re-read but am 99% sure) no where in the rules that it says you can't swap parts with a different demostic market's car of the same model year, especially stock exterior body parts. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ReaperX
Jim,

I don't think you'd get dinged for diffuser points since there is (may have to re-read but am 99% sure) no where in the rules that it says you can't swap parts with a different demostic market's car of the same model year, especially stock exterior body parts. Correct me if I am wrong.
Not sure since the Evo was never sold in the US with the JDM rear.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ReaperX
Jim,

You'll get dinged. It's just +1 though.

Section G for Aerodynamics:
Replace or modify OEM rear diffuser, rear bumper cover, or rear “fascia” (note: additional points must be assessed for any vertical panels incorporated into a rear diffuser that are greater than five inches in height---G.8) below) +1

Quick Reply: 929 Evo - Initial 2011 Track Day Testing!