Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Double pumpers working on track?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double pumpers working on track?

Looking to fix my fueling issues, and it is either complicate things with a surge tank, or get a double pumper. My question is, are people having issues with double pumpers working on track if you keep the tank nice and full?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
That's the issue, keeping the tank full. Depends on your end goal. E85? 93? mix? Time trials? Occasional track day/hpde? tracks you run on and how often? Supporting mods?

Assuming your run with Nasa TX then i'll let them chime in, but the surge tank is a cheap relilable mod that will save you in the end esp with that much money in the drivetrain.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 02:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double pumpers suck for the track. I had one in my unlimited Tt car and the reason I dropped several thousand into a real fuel system was the part throttle driveablilty was awful. The Hobbs switch method works fine for street cars, but sustained part throttle through a corner with the pump turning on/off repeatedly makes the afrs swing wildly. The switch point is essentially untunable too on a maf based car. Running both pumps wide open all the time will fix this issue, but requires a larger return line, regulator that can handle the large flow rate at idle, and nothing in the sending unit to restrict the drain.

Also, the problem with fuel starvation on the track has nothing to do with the pumps in the tank. So adding a second pump won't fix the fact that you have to run a completely full tank of gas to make it halfway through a session without starvation.