Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

STR S2000 guy coming over to the 'Dark Side'

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mouseIX
What 3 regions? I'm one of 2 Evo's in the Atlanta region SCCA. I came from an S2000 myself. I have occasionally ventured up to the central Carolinas region for a few autox's at Michelin's Black Lake. I agree it is overrun by Subie's, but its fun to be the odd man out and whoop some butt! I love my Evo IX RS, weight saving is awesome. Built for SM with mild weight savings I'm at 3031 lbs with a full interior, 1/2 tank of gas, and my butt in the drivers seat!

Cheers and welcome to the "dark side",

Craig SM #12 ATLSCCA
CCR-SCCA, Triad SCC, SCR-SCCA.

My co-driver occasionally ventures down to ATL for events. We drive the Rio Yellow 'Tourque Monster' - '08 CR. We were at Black Lake last year and this year for the CCR-SCR Challenge. He also co-drove the ATL Tour this year with a friend of ours'.

FWIW, you might want to come up for the NCAC, we're doing it at ZMAX this year.

yeah, there's Subarus everywhere. which is part of the reason why i want to show my face in an EVO.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by milford
pics of s200
STR S2000 guy coming over to the 'Dark Side'-zmax03_75.jpg

STR S2000 guy coming over to the 'Dark Side'-zmax01_75.jpg
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by 1slowevo
A IX or IX RS is probably going to be best for you.
the VIII's have non mivec motor, smaller stock turbo, and no ACD (active center dif) unless you buy a 2005.
Now do you care about power windows and locks? if not get an IX RS and then put a wing on it. You'd then get the aluminum roof, light weight car with no sound deadening and have the appearance of the GSR.

Keep in mind also the RS has no ABS
I was doing more research last night, so it seems the non-ACD cars had a viscous center diff. don't know a lot about EVOs, but when i hear the word 'viscous' i get a little spooked, so i'll assume it's something i'd likely want to stay away from....

THE IX SE looks appealing, correct me if i'm wrong, it came out late MY '06 and was available in graphite, silver, and black? I also see it's got the aluminum roof and 5 speed, MIVEC, ACD, wing, and a bigger turbo?

What's the deal with the front LSD? how critical is it to the AWD/EVOs performance? and just curious, why was Mitsubishi so spotty with putting it in the cars...some have it, some don't.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I also see it's got the aluminum roof and 5 speed, MIVEC, ACD, wing, and a bigger turbo?
All of the IX's should have the same turbo from the factory.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jim3142
All of the IX's should have the same turbo from the factory.
oh yeah, sorry, i meant bigger turbo as opposed to the VIII
Old Sep 16, 2011, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boyracer40
I was doing more research last night, so it seems the non-ACD cars had a viscous center diff. don't know a lot about EVOs, but when i hear the word 'viscous' i get a little spooked, so i'll assume it's something i'd likely want to stay away from....

THE IX SE looks appealing, correct me if i'm wrong, it came out late MY '06 and was available in graphite, silver, and black? I also see it's got the aluminum roof and 5 speed, MIVEC, ACD, wing, and a bigger turbo?

What's the deal with the front LSD? how critical is it to the AWD/EVOs performance? and just curious, why was Mitsubishi so spotty with putting it in the cars...some have it, some don't.
They upgraded everything as the years went on. The 9 is what we should've had in 2003 when they were 1st sent here.

Get the 9 SE and don't look back. Plan to travel for your purchase
Old Sep 16, 2011, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by metalsaber
Simple RS IX if you can find one. You get the immediate HP advantage of the Mivec if running a stock class. Once in SM it really doesn't matter. You get the solid 5spd, Alum Roof, Weight Reducing because not having certain creature comforts.

The 9-9.5 wheels are going to through you out of the stock class for sure.
This man speaks the truth. Take heed to what he says...
Old Sep 17, 2011, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CCR-SCCA, Triad SCC, SCR-SCCA.

My co-driver occasionally ventures down to ATL for events. We drive the Rio Yellow 'Tourque Monster' - '08 CR. We were at Black Lake last year and this year for the CCR-SCR Challenge. He also co-drove the ATL Tour this year with a friend of ours'.

FWIW, you might want to come up for the NCAC, we're doing it at ZMAX this year.

yeah, there's Subarus everywhere. which is part of the reason why i want to show my face in an EVO.
Very cool! I recognize the car, there is a guy from your neck of the woods that runs with us in a white CR. I forgot his name but I'm very sure you know him. I'm great friends with Brian Hayes in the Frankenstook S2K. I when I had my S2000 I lived in Greenville SC. probably know a lot of the same people lol. I will try and make it up, but finances are holding me back since I'm trying to build my car to be a contender at nationals SM. Your co-driver might recognize my car, can't miss the purple wheels lol.

Sorry to thread jack lol.

Cheers,

Craig
Old Sep 17, 2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
They upgraded everything as the years went on. The 9 is what we should've had in 2003 when they were 1st sent here.

Get the 9 SE and don't look back. Plan to travel for your purchase
i'm definitely leaning in that direction. i thought about the RS, but with no tunes, and no sound deadening material, it's gonna make those 2-3 hour drives to auto-x events intolerable, especially with aftermarket exhaust. on my s2000 i've got a 70mm single exhaust and the noise is brutal after a while, even with the silencer.

So, for a stock SE '06 say about 50-60k miles. How much? I saw one for $24,000 on auto trader. good deal, bad deal, or average deal?
Old Sep 17, 2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by mouseIX
Very cool! I recognize the car, there is a guy from your neck of the woods that runs with us in a white CR. I forgot his name but I'm very sure you know him. I'm great friends with Brian Hayes in the Frankenstook S2K. I when I had my S2000 I lived in Greenville SC. probably know a lot of the same people lol. I will try and make it up, but finances are holding me back since I'm trying to build my car to be a contender at nationals SM. Your co-driver might recognize my car, can't miss the purple wheels lol.

Sorry to thread jack lol.

Cheers,

Craig
everybody around here knows Frankenstook, how can you miss that car? as for the guy in the white CR, i'm sure you know him cuz he probably goes down to ATL and gets either top PAX, FTD, or both.

It's Jadrice Toussaint, B-Stock national champ 2011. he's actually the reason why i bought my CR. when i first got into auto-x but didn't have a car yet we went out for beers and wings and he convinced me that the CR was the car to have.

FWIW, i hate him (not really). He's the guy that takes 1 run in my car and beats my best time by 1.5 seconds, then throws me back the keys and walks away grinning.

As for the NCAC, don't know if you've run at ZMAX yet, but it's the best lot around here by far. There's gonna be a lot of talent there, and we're doing 5 runs on Saturday and 3 on Sunday. guaranteed it'll be a 60+ second course with a lot of fast elements.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As for the NCAC, don't know if you've run at ZMAX yet, but it's the best lot around here by far. There's gonna be a lot of talent there, and we're doing 5 runs on Saturday and 3 on Sunday. guaranteed it'll be a 60+ second course with a lot of fast elements.
Jadrice that's it! He barely edged me out at the last event! Amazing driver and great guy! I met him at Black Lake about 3 years back I believe. My target is Brian(Frankenstook).
Old Sep 20, 2011, 07:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
The main reason is I'm in the Charlotte area and i'm surrounded by STi's. when i tell you there are no EVOs in any of the 3 clubs i run with, it's not an exaggeration so there's really nobody to talk to on the subject.
Don't buy from Cosmo Motors. I wrote up a review somewhere if you're curious.

So far the advice I got was stay away from the MR because the 6 speed is 'weird'....don't know why? Is the 5 speed the way to go?

The RS is the lightest. My research says no power windows/doors, aluminum roof, no radio, no wing.

I'll assume the SSL is not the best choice for weight purposes.

And what about the GSR? Doesn't come with the aluminum roof, and i'll assume it's got a sunroof which to me, is just dead weight.

Okay, XIII or IX?

If i'm not mistaken, the IX has the VVT. How much of an advantage does it have over the XIII, if any?
Originally Posted by chono
Welcome!

Somewhere Doug put together a great post that summarized the differences between the MY / Trims from an autoxer's perspective... Doug?

I'll summarize:
2006 - more power with the IX and the VIII
RS - lightest, but no ABS (and in ST *I* think you need ABS)
GSR SE - second lightest and has ABS (Doug will disagree - he says the GSR is the lightest)
MR - 6 speed; lower top speed in 2nd gear(??); 2nd heaviest
SSL - sounds nice; heaviest

Good luck with your search!

-'chono'
Vorshlag weighed them all (except the RS) a while back and got these:
http://www.vorshlag.com/tech_evoweights.php

It looks like the GSR, MR, and MR-SE are all pretty much a wash. The SE is lighter and I'm 99% sure that weight is in the transmission (6 speed vs 5 speed) and the wheels (BBS vs Enkei) and not much else. When I was researching this I think I found that the transmission weight difference was like 15 lbs.

It sounds like you have ruled out the RS - for me, on street tires, I felt like no ABS would be a handicap. And the ABS system on this car is really good.

One other thing... the production numbers. There were more IX MR's (4200 I think) than IX (GSR+SE, about 3800, only a small number of SE) produced, so it's easier to find an MR. Finding an SE that hasn't been modded with some huge turbo, cams, drivetrain, clutch, etc etc is wicked hard. I know, I looked Depending on how impatient you are I would absolutely try to get some reputable shop to check the car out first.

I have an IX MR SE. I took the small weight penalty and got a lower cruising RPM on the highway and some cool shark thingies on the roof. If I ever have any drama with the transmission I might just throw the 5-speed in and package-convert the car to an SE, but I like the 6-speed on the street and the 1st/2nd gears are wider than in the 5-speed.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 07:51 AM

[quote=Butt Dyno;9618012]Don't buy from Cosmo Motors. I wrote up a review somewhere if you're curious.

I'm extremely curious since Cosmo is 40 miles from my house and i was going to check them out. They have EVOs all over the place there so i'd definitely like to hear what you have to say. Thanks.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

A stock IX GSR SE is a unicorn. Especially if you're like me and don't like silver!

I was looking for my car for 2 years (on and off...) -- and the only reason I have it is because the seller wanted to sell it to a fellow autoxer.

In my search I found that the stock cars were high mileage (commuters) and the low mile cars were highly modified (and often so much so that getting back to STU trim would be costly).

That said -- every now and again you see an 'only driven on Sundays, and only in parking lots' car.. and that one you jump on!
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

If you can live without ABS.. here you go:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/2610092474.html

No affiliation.. but he's in SF (where I live)

Quick Reply: STR S2000 guy coming over to the 'Dark Side'