Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

E85 Vs Race gas - Road Racing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm E85 biased bc its so readily available for me here in MN. I make 364 whp 379 torque and consume roughly 7gals in a 20min track session.

I love that it runs cool so a larger/heavier intercooler isn't necessary. I'm weight consious bc of autox class competition.

Also, you can tune at E70 on the stock ECU and then you're set when it goes up to E85 in the summer months. I have one tune that is good year round. It works nicely.

PS...no trailer needed. I drive 3hrs to a track, bring a couple extra gas containers with and have a blast. Just tracked at BIR and the E85 station is about 3miles from the track...perfect cool down distance. haha.

Last edited by Toothy07; Oct 4, 2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Matt, ive never ran e85, but if your capacity is around 25min with it, i can tell you right now that your current setup is not going to work in a racing environment. The HPDE and TT/TA mentality doesnt work for racing. I know you understand that a little better now, but as you acquire more racing seat time youll start to see things on a different level from one race to the next. Furthermore, if you want to race at the National level especially, you have to aim for an overall setup that gives you the capacity to run as fast as possible for at least 45min. Thats my perspective. So id say dont listen to those guys who tell you...oh, but there will be plenty of yellow, double-yellow, and maybe even red flags. Next issue comes down to your lap times. Youre going to gradually get faster as a driver in a racing environment. You clearly werent pushing it in your Sebring race because youre smart, right now all you need to focus on is safely progressing through your provisional rookie license. Once that happens youll gradually start pushing it more and more. And the faster you go the more gas you will consume. Beyond that, youre probably going to mod your car one season to the next. So your car is going to get faster also. And again, the faster you go the more gas you will consume. Lets not forget about more competition. When youre surrounded by competitive ST2 drivers in varying types of cars, you will have no other choice but to drive in a way youve never driven. That will change things also.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Bueller
Matt, ive never ran e85, but if your capacity is around 25min with it, i can tell you right now that your current setup is not going to work in a racing environment. The HPDE and TT/TA mentality doesnt work for racing. I know you understand that a little better now, but as you acquire more racing seat time youll start to see things on a different level from one race to the next. Furthermore, if you want to race at the National level especially, you have to aim for an overall setup that gives you the capacity to run as fast as possible for at least 45min. Thats my perspective. So id say dont listen to those guys who tell you...oh, but there will be plenty of yellow, double-yellow, and maybe even red flags. Next issue comes down to your lap times. Youre going to gradually get faster as a driver in a racing environment. You clearly werent pushing it in your Sebring race because youre smart, right now all you need to focus on is safely progressing through your provisional rookie license. Once that happens youll gradually start pushing it more and more. And the faster you go the more gas you will consume. Beyond that, youre probably going to mod your car one season to the next. So your car is going to get faster also. And again, the faster you go the more gas you will consume. Lets not forget about more competition. When youre surrounded by competitive ST2 drivers in varying types of cars, you will have no other choice but to drive in a way youve never driven. That will change things also.
Pretty much. So this begs the question, what's your setup?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

And for nationally competitive guys running E85, I'll pose the same question...gas tank capacity, surge tank types, etc?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 06:01 PM

I think mine could make it a solid 40mins all out with the stock tank. Maybe 45.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
There's been a struggle with Evo race cars and which gas to run. We all know both e85 and 110 work. SO what do you run and what have you found? In my experience e85 can get you through ~25minutes in the oem tank, which can cut your race short in most cases.

Custom surge tank ~ 1000

E85 x 40 gallons at 3.50 a gallon = $140 in fuel for the weekend

There's pros and cons to both. Gas consistency is always a player because you can get e70 or e90 from one day/station to the next. 112 octane is always going to be 112 octane. But E85 runs cooler, cleaner, easier on your o2's, more readily available to the public etc. Let's discuss.
What kind of power are you making? My STi is limited to 390 whp for ST-2 and I've done a solid 30 min of racing with 3/4 of a tank of e85. I don't think there are any other ST-2 guys running 245s for the extra modification factor, so I think I probably run the most power.

You should be able to put together a perfectly good surge tank setup for less than $500 including the pump. I'd get a ~1 gallon tank for the capacity. I was told I needed super fancy fittings and stuff to go AN to stock lines, but that's pointless and drives up the cost. I've had no problems with my AN lines clamped to my factory hardlines. Should be the same for Evos.

Also, with a surge tank you don't have to worry about ever bogging unless you are almost bone dry on fuel!

Is it really $3.40/gal down in Florida? I've been enjoying the $2.89 here lately. Aint no $1.99 like last summer though.

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
You didn't consider weight.

With the race fuel you have a higher energy density and therefore you can carry less on your vehicle. Means you're lighter at the start of the race and at the end of the race.
Weight is the one thing that hinders me. I'm pretty heavy at the beginning of a race, but boy oh boy I pull some people down the straights towards the end of a race.

I never use fuel as ballast. I set my competition weight to when the car is empty on fuel, that way if I ever for some reason used it all (or say, had a leak) I'd never come in too light.

Originally Posted by goforwand
Potential stupid question

What's wrong with running 93 octane with a proper tune? Most of our cars see ~325-340 whp on an all wheel dyno for TTS/ST-2 classification purposes which I thought that 93 was just fine for that level......

Does the higher octane lead to significant improvement in engine component life?
Even with HPDEs I'd say it's a little risky running that kind of power on 93. You could run a fairly rich tune, but that's still not the way to go. Things just get hot, stupid hot when you track a car. A higher octane just becomes necessary when racing, unless you are running the car at or below factory power levels.

Originally Posted by KevinD
power will be modulated by the 3 port BCS keeping it below the 270ish whp i'll be limited too . i expect 400+ftlb of torque though. i'm aiming for 450-500ftlb. 2.3L stroker, small cams, stock turbo, e85
Uhh, how light is your car?? 270 whp for ST-2?! Haha. I would love to see 500 ft/lbs on a stock turbo. Has that even been done before?

Originally Posted by skidmarq
And for nationally competitive guys running E85, I'll pose the same question...gas tank capacity, surge tank types, etc?
If it weren't for my stupid fire I could call myself nationally competitive haha. But uhh, I run 390 whp in an STi, OEM STi fuel tank, 1 gal surge tank, Walbro 255 feeds the surge tank, Bosch 044 feeds the engine.

Originally Posted by Toothy07
I think mine could make it a solid 40mins all out with the stock tank. Maybe 45.
What power level? Are we talking racing? TT? HPDE?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Another thing I'd like to point out:

Aluminum seems to hold up fine to ethanol. I was all worried since I couldn't figure out how to get my aluminum surge tank anodized before running it, but I haven't had any problems for over a year of running it.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

I run my evo in st-2 with sunoco 110. I literally jack the car up on one side to get as much fuel as possible in it.

but it comes down to so many things, I make 325hp / 380tq on a mustang dyno and I drive the car 10/10 for the most part..
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Uhh, how light is your car?? 270 whp for ST-2?! Haha. I would love to see 500 ft/lbs on a stock turbo. Has that even been done before?

not sure yet, we will see when i'm done putting it back together. it was 2650lbs before i added the aluminum roof (had a sun roof before), dry carbon hood, carbon trunk lid, custom steering column, two piece AL driveshaft, added the roll cage, removed passenger seat, cut tons more brackets out of the car, going to alumimum intercooler pipes (Steel before), making a lighter exhaust, etc etc etc...

i figure it will be between 2750 and 2800 with me in it. thats roughly 280-290whp on our mustang dyno we use with a small margin of error
Old Oct 5, 2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by MSP608

What power level? Are we talking racing? TT? HPDE?
364whp/379torque (mustang dyno) and HPDE.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fwiw - Did some calcs.

I've spent double the amount on gas to get TO the track then I have AT the track running 100oct!

Towing the evo & open trailer with my 2010 Nissan Titan.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Makes sense, yet still eye opening. When you get nationally competitive, lots of tow miles are to be expected

With that said, can someone please explain why I'm salivating at the thought of getting my diesel truck and tow setup?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Cause it's part of your "pit", still got's to roll in style
Old Oct 6, 2011, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Haha, that and I gots to diversify my (track) portfolio!
Old Oct 6, 2011, 01:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Are you comparing 100 vs E85 with this list?

If so:

Originally Posted by boomn29

1) 100oct is always 100oct. No worries about different times of the year
Here in California it's the same year round. In other regions you can get formulated E85 to keep it consistant. I agree 100oct is much more "stress free" though.

2) Around Chicago I can get it at the pump.
I'm curious if there are more 100 octane pumps then E85 pumps in Chicago?

3) It runs $6-$8 / gallon
This doesn't sound like a plus to me. (BTW I ran 100oct 24/7 before E85 came to California)

4) I can run stock ECU
You can run stock ECU with E85. I'm not sure why this is even in this list?

5) I can run stock injectors, rail and pump (AMS Tuned FTW!)
Can't argue with this. Although ust upgrading injectors and pump isn't really a big deal.

6) I don't have to carry 5-7 5gal jugs or buy an expensive secondary fuel tank to put in my truck for E85
That, unfortunatly is still very much a problem with E85

7) I can run a cat if needed (certain 'street' rules) on my tune
You can 100% run a cat with E85. Again, not sure why this is in the list.

8) I don't have a CEL
Why would you get a CEL with E85?

9) All tracks have 100 or 104 available. Almost 0 have E85; some stations are multiple states away!
10) Fuel mileage and surging as compared to E85
Both are good arguments.

Quick Reply: E85 Vs Race gas - Road Racing