Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

#929 Evo --> 2011 Season Recap

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
#929 Evo --> 2011 Season Recap

2011 NASA Midwest Region TTA Champion
2011 NASA Great Lakes Region TTA Champion
2011 NASA Nationals 3rd place TTA (out of 14 competitors)
2011 TT Most Improved - Midwest Region
2011 TT Perseverance - Great Lakes Region

16 Regional Events
  • 10 1st place finishes
  • 5 2nd place finishes
  • 1 3rd place finish

5 track records in 2011

My last 38 NASA events dating back to 2009:
  • 29 wins
  • 12 track records

83 track days in total on the car, all with the stock motor, cams, turbo, bottom-end, etc.

I also branched out and tried several different configurations on the car this year. With the TT points system, you have to pick and choose your modifications. So if you want to add a particular part, you have to change something else back to OEM! So I went to different events with different combinations of HP and Aero bits. While this did affect my winning %, it was valuable setup knowledge for Nationals.

I ran 3 different wings, 2 different FMIC's, 2 different 4th gear ratios and with and w/o a front splitter. I also ran 2 different types/brands of rotors and pads. I wanted to test different sized tires and compounds but I simply did not have the time.

So no matter what 2012 brings in terms of rule changes, I have an even greater idea of what the car is capable of and where it needs some help and attention to go faster!
So.... assuming the car doesn't sell (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...eb-evo-il.html)... If there are no significant changes, I'll probably run the car in TTA again with a few select updates. If there's significant changes to the ruleset, I will probably bump up to TTS. In addition I'm debating on caging it and running ST2 but I just don't know if I'll have the time in 2012 to really learn enough racing skill before the 2012 Nationals which are again at Mid Ohio. Either way; wish me luck!

Last but not least, thanks to AMS Performance, AMSOIL, Forgeline, Hoosier, Hawk, Boostin Performance and Buschur Racing.

Last edited by boomn29; Oct 27, 2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Pics from 2011

Some of my favorite pics from 2011:

Last edited by boomn29; Oct 27, 2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
no offense but i hope it doesn't sell.. i think you can win tta next year

i haven't forgotten my promise btw! in stl now, not all that far from you! should really find a way for you to see what you think of the cusco and acd reflash
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well done Nate, well done indeed.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29

2011 NASA Midwest Region TTA Champion
2011 NASA Great Lakes Region TTA Champion
Thanks guys. And fwiw; those awards were just from the 2011 MW/GL awards banquet. I've got my Nationals award, all my regional event stuff and printed out track records all cluttering up my office too. I'll try to get it all together.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always enjoy your write-ups! Thanks for taking the time to post...
Old Oct 26, 2011, 01:36 PM

What a great write up! Thanks for sharing! Looks like you had a very fun and succesful season. These are time attack competitions with open passing correct? I have never tracked my Evo yet, but do LeMons and Chumpcar races in an '89 Civic. I can only imagine how much fun you are having with that Evo!

The silver Evo VIII in the sixth picture. Do you know anything about it?? Does it happen to be an owner from the Chicago area that purchased the car from Iowa? The car looks very familiar to a car a close friend of mine owned. Just curious.

Good Stuff!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by YoKeutla
What a great write up! Thanks for sharing! Looks like you had a very fun and succesful season. These are time attack competitions with open passing correct? I have never tracked my Evo yet, but do LeMons and Chumpcar races in an '89 Civic. I can only imagine how much fun you are having with that Evo!
Mostly Time Trial competitions as I'm not a fan of the boring Time Attack format where you get 2 trys at 3 laps by yourself. NASA Time Trials has open passing everywhere and somewhere between 20-65 cars on track depending on turnout and track length.

The silver Evo VIII in the sixth picture. Do you know anything about it?? Does it happen to be an owner from the Chicago area that purchased the car from Iowa? The car looks very familiar to a car a close friend of mine owned.
Yes it is. He's on the forums --> Racer145.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Great job Nathan! Hope the car doesn't sell until after the Nationals "next" year as it has a #1 finish in it before it retires
Old Oct 26, 2011, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats Nate. I know youve worked hard. Youve obviously been dedicated and youve done your homework. Too bad youre so far because it would have been cool to do some events with you. Btw, i didnt know you had posted a FS thread. Let me know if i can help.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Bravo, bravo. Beautiful car, great driver and reppin' the Evo. You did the community proud. Congrats!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by boomn29
Mostly Time Trial competitions as I'm not a fan of the boring Time Attack format where you get 2 trys at 3 laps by yourself. NASA Time Trials has open passing everywhere and somewhere between 20-65 cars on track depending on turnout and track length.

Yes it is. He's on the forums --> Racer145.
Yeah, I meant Time Trials. That's a really awesome format to run in. I believe you need to get signed off at multiple HPDE classes to compete in these, correct?

The previous owner of that silver Evo and I are planning on prepping an S2000 for a few time trial events, if we get signed off.

Nice to see that silver Evo still out on the track where it belongs!! I spent a lot of time in the passenger seat of that car and some time underneath it while it was on jackstands too! oh memories!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Congratulations! What a season you had! Thanks for sharing. You have some talent man! I know you're selling your car, but what's next? Will you still be racing?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I meant Time Trials. That's a really awesome format to run in. I believe you need to get signed off at multiple HPDE classes to compete in these, correct?
Correct. You have to work your way up through NASA's HPDE ladder system. From HPDE 1/2 to 3 to 4/TT. If you've got prior experience with other groups, you don't have to start at the bottom of the 'ladder' though.

Originally Posted by NJ9MR
Congratulations! What a season you had! Thanks for sharing. You have some talent man! I know you're selling your car, but what's next? Will you still be racing?
Appreciate that.
Well, we're planning on having our first kid probably in 2012 so there's just going to be less time. In the event it does sell, I'm planning on getting a kick-*** fun street car and it'll probably see the track a few times. I would probably rent a few weekends as well, got a friend with like 4 SM's that he rents out at NASA weekends. So I'll be out at events either way; just dunno how many and all.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Congrats on another great season Nate. I really enjoy reading your threads.

Quick Reply: #929 Evo --> 2011 Season Recap