Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Auto X wheels

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto X wheels

I'm looking into getting a set of wheels for auto x next year for a set of A6s. I'm looking at 275s. RPF1s are looking pretty good for bang for the buck. From what I can see the 17x9.5 is 2 lbs lighter than the 18x9.5.
Is the two lbs worth having the bigger tire?
The tires are the same weight. So it just comes down to the wheel.
What are the advantages of running 18s vs 17s? I know the tires and wheels a slightly cheaper for 17s.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by XcreatonX
I'm looking into getting a set of wheels for auto x next year for a set of A6s. I'm looking at 275s. RPF1s are looking pretty good for bang for the buck. From what I can see the 17x9.5 is 2 lbs lighter than the 18x9.5.
Is the two lbs worth having the bigger tire?
The tires are the same weight. So it just comes down to the wheel.
What are the advantages of running 18s vs 17s? I know the tires and wheels a slightly cheaper for 17s.
Grip-wise, I say yes. The wider the tire the better. However, the issue is what can you fit (width and height). Look at the overall diameter as well of the tires available when making your wheel size selection. Too tall is just as bad as too wide if I won't fit. Keep in mind a 285/30-18 tire is shorter than a 275/40-17 tire. No personal experience, but I hear a 275/40-17 tire is actually harder to fit than a 285/30-18 tire on an Evo 8/9.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:05 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
285.30.18 seems to be the only accepted size that all nationally competitive Evos run, as far as I know. All of the local guys in my region also run this setup. I also just pruchased this setup. For quite some time, 18x9.5 are generally the minimum. Some guys I've researched have put in more work to fit 18x10. However, as of late, I'm reading alot of people running a stagger width, with 18x10 front and 18x9.5 rear, and maintaing the 285.30 tires. Good Luck!

Last edited by chu; Nov 14, 2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

after running a 17x9 buddy club rims for years I am switching to an 18" rim.

why? the weight savings do not match the difference in performance from the gearing advantage you get running a 285/30/18 vs a 275/40/17.

According to tirerack, a kumo v710 in a 275 is about 25.4" diameter while the 285 is 24.8"

The fitment for 17" tires is pretty easy, at most you need to mildly roll the rear fenders. Just make sure that your offset is +35mm and just about any tire available should fit

The 18"'s are a PIA. I need to run a staggered offset. I am trying a 18x10.5 in front, with a 18x10 + spacer in back. I know people who run these rims with the same offsets, so it should work, but I need to install longer wheel studs, and roll the rear fenders quite aggressively for it to work, and then there is the alignment..

but as others have said, all the nationally competitive Evo are running similar setups these days. I have been autox'ing my evo since I bought it new in '04 and 18"s are the way to go.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
My 18" setup is actually easier to fit than the 275/40/17 setup I used to have, mainly because the 285/30/18s are significantly shorter.

I'd start with a minimum of 18x9.5 and it's probably easier to just run the same offset all around (with spacers up front) so you can rotate tires easier. Right now I'm running staggered, with 18x11s up front and 18x10s in the rear.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

The 285's are happiest on 10.5" Wheels. They will work and plenty of people have proven the car is fast on 9.5" wheels also. We run the 10.5's.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:07 PM

Question... So when you are referring to running 9.5" wheels is this with the car being lowered?

If so what offset do you need to run to clear on the front and back wheels for an 18x9.5?

When running a 10" to 10.5" wheel, are they actually tucked in the wheels wells or sticking out?

Thanks,
JJ
Old Jan 4, 2012, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Lethal_427
Question... So when you are referring to running 9.5" wheels is this with the car being lowered?

If so what offset do you need to run to clear on the front and back wheels for an 18x9.5?

When running a 10" to 10.5" wheel, are they actually tucked in the wheels wells or sticking out?

Thanks,
JJ
I run 18x10 +38mm all around with the 285 hoosiers on a lowered car. The tires tuck and do not stick out, but it is very close in the back. My rears are rolled flat. I run a 15mm spacer up front and no spacer in the back, but I also have the stoptech brake kit. The aluminum hats in the rear are thicker than stock rotors. Most guys need a 2-4mm spacer in the rear to keep the tire off the rear trailing arm (note that it will rub the arm under load... at least it does on every BSP evo I've seen). I think others run a 20mm front spacer to clear the calipers, but the stoptech kit clears fine with only 15 (and could be less).

Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:47 PM

psushoe,

Thanks for the information, I have been reading through some of the competition threads to get a good idea of what everyone is running.

What wheels are you running? By the looks of the picture they kind of resemble the Enkei wheels. Also, are you running +38 wheel for the front then using the a 20 mm spacer?

Also, can you run a carbon fiber hood in SM? When I am reading the rules it sounds like it is legal, but wanted to make sure that is correct.

So you replaced your Brembo's with Stoptech calipers and rotors? Any performance added to the switch?

Thanks for answering my questions, I appreciate it. I have done searches, but never seem to get the direct answer that I am looking for.

Cheers,
JJ
Old Jan 4, 2012, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

psushoe,

Thanks for the information, I have been reading through some of the competition threads to get a good idea of what everyone is running.

What wheels are you running? By the looks of the picture they kind of resemble the Enkei wheels. Also, are you running +38 wheel for the front then using the a 20 mm spacer?

Also, can you run a carbon fiber hood in SM? When I am reading the rules it sounds like it is legal, but wanted to make sure that is correct.

So you replaced your Brembo's with Stoptech calipers and rotors? Any performance added to the switch?

Thanks for answering my questions, I appreciate it. I have done searches, but never seem to get the direct answer that I am looking for.

Cheers,
JJ
Part of the answers are in my first post. The wheels are Enkei RPF1's +38 on all four. I run a 15mm spacer up front to clear my brakes, but stock brakes need a 20mm iirc.

You can run a cf hood in SM, but to me it's not worth the $. If there's a lighter one on the market, it's not much lighter. Maybe if you gut one to the shell only it would be some weight savings, but money is better spent elsewhere, imo.

The brakes a total upgrade over stock. Bigger diameter, lighter. They aren't really needed for autox duty, but my car was a former track warrior.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks,
JJ
I think most people do at least a minor fender roll to even run the 9.5's. I had to do serious work to get the 10.5's to fit in the back. But I'm also running a much higher offset +15 all the way around. They fit great in the front. And could actually come in about 1/2 an inch.

Honestly, I don't think you are giving up anything running the 9.5's.

Here's a pic of a normal roll in the rear
http://www.gotcone.com/pgallery/2011...6/#prev-button

And then a pic of my tortured rear, lol
http://www.gotcone.com/pgallery/2011...8/#prev-button

Last edited by ratt_finkel; Jan 5, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
I think most people do at least a minor fender roll to even run the 9.5's. I had to do serious work to get the 10.5's to fit in the back. But I'm also running a much higher offset +15 all the way around. They fit great in the front. And could actually come in about 1/2 an inch.

Honestly, I don't think you are giving up anything running the 9.5's.

Here's a pic of a normal roll in the rear
http://www.gotcone.com/pgallery/2011...6/#prev-button

And then a pic of my tortured rear, lol
http://www.gotcone.com/pgallery/2011...8/#prev-button
How much lower is your car from stock? This will give me a good reference on height difference to go off of. My car is currently sitting 2" lower in the front and 1.8" lower in the rear from stock.

I have 18x9.75 wheels w/+20 on it now and I am still getting some rub on the 245/40/18's. After looking at the tire heights between the two the 285 A6 is almost 3/4" shorter than the 245.

Thanks,
JJ

Last edited by Lethal_427; Jan 6, 2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure of drop vs. stock, but my car currently sits with about a two finger gap up front and less than 1 finger gap in rear between the tire and top of wheel well. Due to the suspension geometry on the evo, you need to keep the front higher than the rear to reduce overload of the outside front tire and lifting of the inside rear.

It may look odd to some, but if anyone ever asks why the front of your car is higher than the back, you can always respond "because racecar"
Old Jan 6, 2012, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by psushoe
I'm not sure of drop vs. stock, but my car currently sits with about a two finger gap up front and less than 1 finger gap in rear between the tire and top of wheel well. Due to the suspension geometry on the evo, you need to keep the front higher than the rear to reduce overload of the outside front tire and lifting of the inside rear.

It may look odd to some, but if anyone ever asks why the front of your car is higher than the back, you can always respond "because racecar"
Thanks for the information!

What kind of shocks do you run? I currently am running the Ohlin coilovers, so changing ride height should not be a problem.

Thanks,
JJ
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Moton clubsports.