Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Blackenedwings '06 IX MR build thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by blackenedwings
Well got the invoice for the repairs and wear items on the car today. $1500 for the transmission repair including parts and labor, and $1200 for replacement front brakes (pads/rotors). This is one expensive *** hobby.
$100 centric rotors and $240 CL RC6 pads (or DTC70, XP12, DSUNO) works pretty well for me. you must be running some F1 brakes to cost $1200 replacement

got a new set of ST47 that i'm waiting to try
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
why no rs3's?

Originally Posted by honda-guy
$100 centric rotors and $240 CL RC6 pads (or DTC70, XP12, DSUNO) works pretty well for me. you must be running some F1 brakes to cost $1200 replacement

got a new set of ST47 that i'm waiting to try
how do you like the rc6's? ive been running the rc5+ and daily driving them...they are great, especially when not having to change pads at the track.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 04:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by blackenedwings
Absolutely! I'm not sure which local Autox I'll hit while I get ready for another event at Thunderbolt. I generally run with the local PCA group up at Bowie Baysox Stadium, but there are a bunch of groups running and one of my friends who just put together a Factory Five Roadster is trying to drag me out to a few events. It might be a nice cheap break from the wallet punching I've experienced recently.
Yes, it should definitely not burn up your brakes/tires as much

I think I swore off Bowie but I'll keep my eyes open.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 04:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
why no rs3's?

how do you like the rc6's? ive been running the rc5+ and daily driving them...they are great, especially when not having to change pads at the track.
RS3 tires are great. probably the best dry grip street tires out there. but they don't last very long.

I love the RC6, probably one of my favorite pad at the moment. i'm surprise that they are not very hard on rotors at all, but they are wearing quicker than i thought they would be. the are also very loud on the street, but i don't DD my car, just to track and back. they might be a bit much for street tires but i run rcomp at the track.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RS3 tires are great. probably the best dry grip street tires out there. but they don't last very long.

I love the RC6, probably one of my favorite pad at the moment. i'm surprise that they are not very hard on rotors at all, but they are wearing quicker than i thought they would be. the are also very loud on the street, but i don't DD my car, just to track and back. they might be a bit much for street tires but i run rcomp at the track.
In terms of street tires, I've tried a lot of different tires, but the NT05s are my favorites so far. They are insanely sticky for a street tire, although I've heard they aren't very good in the wet. I'm rotating my last set around and I'll see how much more I can get out of them, but my coach is a lot harder on the equipment than I am.

I'm pretty happy with the DTC60s and DBA5000s. One of the reasons the cost of brakes was high is that DBA has a delay on shipping the new disks without hats for a while, so I went ahead and just ordered full new front rotors with hats. I figured having an extra set of hats laying around isn't a terrible idea. Then again, DBA5000 rotors are VERY expensive anyway. It's probably overkill in my case since I'm not on R-comps or slicks, but I expected I would be running on NT01s at this point and my coach keeps telling me no.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

I run NT05 for DE events, not the best for ultimate fast lap but they are consistent and last long and cheap.

i dont do endurance race and never felt the need for aftermarket rotors. brake ducts, good pads, good fluids, done.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

I run NT05 for DE events, not the best for ultimate fast lap but they are consistent and last long and cheap.

i dont do endurance race and never felt the need for aftermarket rotors. brake ducts, good pads, good fluids, done.
Yup, I'm doing DE's this season with my coach, and he says the same thing about the NT05s, consistent, last long, and cheap. They are also pretty damn sticky for a street tire.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Needs more updates!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kidloco51
Needs more updates!
Yeah, I should have some good updates soon. I have been working crazy hours right now, and had to cancel my trip to NJMP Lightning since I ended up working that weekend.

The car is in the shop right now getting some valve noise looked at. I'm doing boost leaks and compression tests on the car to see what the condition of the motor is. I've been running it pretty hard the last 2 years and it's actually never been comp tested. Eventually Agile Auto will be making me a 2.3L with an o2 dump, twin-plate clutch... maybe sooner rather than later.

My coach has been super busy, he joined a LMS team to pilot a Grand Am Rolex Audi R8 v10, and drove a RHD Silvia in Unlimited class for Global Time Attack at NJMP a couple of weeks ago.

In other news, I have been working with my buddy to do some work on his '99 Miata. We did a '01+ VVT motor swap a few weeks ago, and clutch/flywheel etc. I think I'm going to buy it off him when he works out some ECU gremlins and start doing some DE's in the Miata, leaving the Evo for competition. It will hopefully get me out to the track more often, and save the wear and tear on the Evo for when it matters.

That being said, I will be doing HPDE3/4 (they mix classes in NASA NE) at NJMP Thunderbolt in October unless the word comes back this week that the motor needs to be cracked open. I've already decided if the motor comes out of the car its going back in a 2.3L.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:15 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Hey, do you care if I move this to the build sub-forum, or would you rather it remain in Motor Sports?

forums.evolutionm.net/all-mitsubishi-model-build-threads-344/
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
Hey, do you care if I move this to the build sub-forum, or would you rather it remain in Motor Sports?

forums.evolutionm.net/all-mitsubishi-model-build-threads-344/
Isn't that the hardparking / dyno queen forum?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:55 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Isn't that the hardparking / dyno queen forum?
Nope, it's a place to share car builds, regardless of use.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't move it!

There is a lot of good "motor sports" advice/tips/videos/pictures going on in this thread.

Not that my opinion matters much, but I only browse this Motorsports sub-forum, so I would miss it if it was elsewhere.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by byebye_sti
Don't move it!

There is a lot of good "motor sports" advice/tips/videos/pictures going on in this thread.

Not that my opinion matters much, but I only browse this Motorsports sub-forum, so I would miss it if it was elsewhere.
Yeah, if its ok, I would prefer to stay here. I think most people don't go anywhere near the build threads forum for the "hard parking" mentality, but only people who are interested in the type of car I'm building will see the thread here.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Don't move!

Quick Reply: Blackenedwings '06 IX MR build thread