Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

CYBER EVO retired? Replaced with CYBER GTR!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SSE is some what local to me, bout 40 min south. Last thing I herd is they are done racing the evo. Many of the people that were involved with the car are already working elsewhere. Was the last I herd in Dec. before Christmas.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by blackenedwings
Noooooooo.

I have been following that car since they first came onto the scene. I have a giant poster of it on the wall of my cubical. HKS CT230R, Cyber Evo, and now Sierra Sierra Evo all retiring. It's a dark day for the Evo community.

They have a poster of that thing?

Originally Posted by codgi
Cyber GT-R seems so wrong...but lots of folks are going to the GT-R platform because of the money it can generate.
It seems crazy to me that anyone could make real money off the GT-R when there are so few of them and they are 70k...
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
They have a poster of that thing?

It seems crazy to me that anyone could make real money off the GT-R when there are so few of them and they are 70k...
Yup, a huge EFR promotional poster, double sided with the Sierra Sierra Evo... I'm staring at it right now. I follow Time Attack like other people follow football.

The GT-R is actually an incredibly lucrative platform because for whatever reason nobody leaves them stock. They don't have a huge volume, but the people buying them are putting money into them. When you can charge 6-10k for an exhaust and people will pay it, you don't need a lot of customers to make decent money.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd love to have a GT-R. Not sure that I could make the financial decision to make that happen. The Evo is bad enough.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
I'd love to have a GT-R. Not sure that I could make the financial decision to make that happen. The Evo is bad enough.
Heh, I could afford to own one, I couldn't afford to mod it, and no way in hell I could afford to race it. I'll stick with my Evo thanks.

Anybody know if Sierra Sierra is going to another platform or if they are just out of the Time Attack game? I'm also curious what happened with Chris Rado and World Racing's Need for Speed AWD Scion. It seems like they totally gave up on it, and went back to the FWD Fwing 2.0 solely.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by boostincincy
Cyber doesn't really bother me, but it IS sad to hear that the SSE is retiring, if that's in fact true. Does anyone know why, or what they're moving onto?
I know that last year they supported and developed a couple Ferrari Challenge cars (458s I believe), so that'd be my guess.

Before jumping into the time attack genre, Dennis (the owner of SSE) actually was pretty active in the local Evo scene (SF Bay Area) from what I heard. He used to come out to meets, etc. Too bad that was before I got my Evo and got involved in the community.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RJones
Dennis (the owner of SSE) actually was pretty active in the local Evo scene (SF Bay Area) from what I heard. He used to come out to meets, etc. Too bad that was before I got my Evo and got involved in the community.
He was pretty active, very nice gentleman too, never would of guessed he was such a baller in his FILA's haha

I am sure if someone emailed him he would get back to you if he finds the time

On the topic, the GTR is the way to go, or even the Evo X MR w all the dual clutch flappy paddle goodness
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by willitas34
On the topic, the GTR is the way to go, or even the Evo X MR w all the dual clutch flappy paddle goodness
Bleh, if you have to have flappy paddles and a heavy *** car at least the GT-R has the displacement. I'm not a big fan of the Xs.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Originally Posted by blackenedwings
The GT-R is actually an incredibly lucrative platform because for whatever reason nobody leaves them stock. They don't have a huge volume, but the people buying them are putting money into them. When you can charge 6-10k for an exhaust and people will pay it, you don't need a lot of customers to make decent money.
This is it right here. Take a look at the price on parts for the GT-R and the fact that if you have one you don't want to get dusted by the likes of a heavily modified Evo and the money starts moving very quickly.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
So Gates doesn't seem to be running much anymore, SSE is out, Cyber Evo is out, AMS TA2 is out . . . I guess that leaves the door open for a new "fastest T/A Evo" in the USA. There's a bunch of them out there racing and being built . . . who's going to step up and take that title this year?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you would be suprised as the gtr population is rising. had an evo/subie meet at the shop and about 7 GTRs showed.

i was pretty surprised lol

but yeah alot of shops are moving to the gtr.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
AMS pretty much pwned the GTR market.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
AMS pretty much pwned the GTR market.
They are one of a few US shops who have done very well. I know of a 1000+whp T/A GTR being built right now by a competing shop. The worldwide and US T/A competition over the next couple years is going to be awesome to watch!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
So Gates doesn't seem to be running much anymore, SSE is out, Cyber Evo is out, AMS TA2 is out . . . I guess that leaves the door open for a new "fastest T/A Evo" in the USA. There's a bunch of them out there racing and being built . . . who's going to step up and take that title this year?
Yeah, I wondered what happened to Gates. He was competing all the time when he was still daily driving his car, then did the big AMS motor build and.... just disappeared. Cyber Evo I'm not all that surprised is being phased out, they have been running that car forever. Same with the HKS car. AMS has moved almost entirely to the GT-R market it seems, and its hard to blame them because that market is very lucrative and the platform is current. I am disappointed mostly in the Sierra Sierra team quitting, but if they are focusing on the 458 Challenge cars... well that makes sense. I'm sure thats a lot more lucrative.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Article with some details about the Cyber Evo... pretty cool stuff.

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...-cyberevo.aspx

That is a serious arms race...

Quick Reply: CYBER EVO retired? Replaced with CYBER GTR!