Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2012 Winter Driving events.... Ice-Racing, Rally-X...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
2 people can change wheels in about 10 minutes. its no big deal. dress warm. the work is worth it.

more pics:

not ice racing but screwing around in lots of snow. this was 4 years ago with my old BBY Evo:

Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMEC's ice racing season starts this weekend at Tupper Lake in upstate NY. icerace.com
Fully caged cars race on Menard ice racing tires that only come in 13" and 15" sizes. Otherwise the street legal series runs on non studded snow/ice tires - Blizzaks Haka's. Next year it is possible that street legal cars will run on studded snow tires like the earlier years when the street legal ice racing series started. It's a long haul up passed Lake Placid but that's were the ice is!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by apex electric
AMEC's ice racing season starts this weekend at Tupper Lake in upstate NY. icerace.com
Fully caged cars race on Menard ice racing tires that only come in 13" and 15" sizes. Otherwise the street legal series runs on non studded snow/ice tires - Blizzaks Haka's. Next year it is possible that street legal cars will run on studded snow tires like the earlier years when the street legal ice racing series started. It's a long haul up passed Lake Placid but that's were the ice is!
This weekend i will very seriously look into sliding this.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
This weekend i will very seriously look into sliding this.
go do it, take some pictures and post them up!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOizmm
go do it, take some pictures and post them up!
Will deppends if i find some cheap or free tires to stud them. Probanly i need at least 6 of them. But probably 8 would be great. Then i need to know the dates so i can set up the weekend
i iove lake placid we always going there anyway
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

I still cant fit 15 inch rims yet.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Will deppends if i find some cheap or free tires to stud them. Probanly i need at least 6 of them. But probably 8 would be great. Then i need to know the dates so i can set up the weekend
i iove lake placid we always going there anyway
why do you need 6? most cars just use 4 wheels. Find an old set of 17in tires and start studding. I'm sure you can find someone with a bald set.

I still cant fit 15 inch rims yet.
Why do you need 15in rims?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

why do you need 6? most cars just use 4 wheels. Find an old set of 17in tires and start studding. I'm sure you can find someone with a bald set.

Why do you need 15in rims?
17 inch wheels i do not have.

I have either 18 or 15. + i need to swap the springs on the suspension and raise the car up. ( i have track rated springs on the car , getting ready for the first tarmac rally and test on tarmac, so far.
^with those springs i would slide on the ice like cookie on the plate.
6 wheels i need because if i will destroy the tires i need replacements . And most certainly do very often, if i let my self loose destroy tires in minutes LOL

I dont want to make a weekend plan based on 4 tires.... Even though i have only for wheels on the car.

everything is an easy thing to do , if i have the tires. Now i wont spend money on them, just for this since i have to get ready as i said for my first rally and that is financially no joke. So i rather buy tires and so for that. But if i find somewhere reasonable tires , i sure will go up there. Still will cost me probably over a grand just this play around .
But if i get tires some how i will go for sure.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

17 inch wheels i do not have.

I have either 18 or 15. + i need to swap the springs on the suspension and raise the car up. ( i have track rated springs on the car , getting ready for the first tarmac rally and test on tarmac, so far.
^with those springs i would slide on the ice like cookie on the plate.
6 wheels i need because if i will destroy the tires i need replacements . And most certainly do very often, if i let my self loose destroy tires in minutes LOL

I dont want to make a weekend plan based on 4 tires.... Even though i have only for wheels on the car.

everything is an easy thing to do , if i have the tires. Now i wont spend money on them, just for this since i have to get ready as i said for my first rally and that is financially no joke. So i rather buy tires and so for that. But if i find somewhere reasonable tires , i sure will go up there. Still will cost me probably over a grand just this play around .
But if i get tires some how i will go for sure.
I race all winter long on my same stiff springs/sway bars. I do it for fun. Sliding = fun. Sounds like you make lots of excuses to not have fun.

if you make the studded tires correctly, you wont destroy them. you could make just 1 for a spare, but you won’t need 6 and certainly won’t need 8.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

I race all winter long on my same stiff springs/sway bars. I do it for fun. Sliding = fun. Sounds like you make lots of excuses to not have fun.

if you make the studded tires correctly, you wont destroy them. you could make just 1 for a spare, but you won’t need 6 and certainly won’t need 8.
So i am an exsuses guy now .... lol.
Do we ever meet before?

How do you know for sure 5 tires will last for me the weekend, and i wont do it for anything else but fun?

It is a fun if you can "race "more then
5 minutes in the weekend.
Not like when i also got a good tip to run new snow tires in gravel for practice. They were destroyed after 5 minutes .... that was the end of the practice day, so why you need more or better for practice right? ( also the clutch cylinder died on us a same time lol...

Just because you run your set up in your car as it is all year long, that is not necessarily means applicable for every other car and set up... and if some one say other wise, not necessarily makes excuses. Maybe make sense if you know the back ground...

Just for a hint; probably when you will sit in my car in a first time, you probably ( i think for sure) you will be discomforted immediately (i am being nice here) just from my pedal box alone, and i didnt even bought up the brake pads issue yet ...lol.

So there is more then you think in the race car set up just for fun , as you think. It is not an all around set up car anymore.
As i said, despite the whole other issues here, as soon as i get tires i ll do it. And if you will be there you can try and see what i was talking about. So next time you might not run into too fast conclusions.

For me the FUN is when i go somewhere and i can do what i was going for, not like drive 13 hours and spend money for 5 minutes "fun" and headache.
That is not fun if i go there and i will find myself without tires after a half an hour or destroyed front etc. LOL

I love snow , and if i have a chance i do go out even myself to just play around. (just like this video we made with my wife brand new Murano with all seasons etc automatic and no ebrake. car had like 1000 miles in it , LOL)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuzbOBtckEA
Rob

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jan 27, 2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Rob you can run the street legal class with unstudded snow tires in any wheel size.. The street legal races run after the Menard class race tear's up the ice. This gives the street legal cars traction for the first few laps, then the grip goes away and you have to tempure your aggression to win. Next year they are suggesting that they will allow street legal studded tires because the currant unstudded tires polish the ice before the Menard races and that class suffers traction for the true AMEC ice racing speeds. Make sure to pre register for a membership. icerace.com

Last edited by apex electric; Jan 27, 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
Rob you can run the street legal class with unstudded snow tires in any wheel size.. The street legal races run after the Menard class race tear's up the ice. This gives the street legal cars traction for the first few laps, then the grip goes away and you have to tempure your aggression to win. Next year they are suggesting that they will allow street legal studded tires because the currant unstudded tires polish the ice before the Menard races and that class suffers traction for the true AMEC ice racing speeds. Make sure to pre register for a membership. icerace.com
i wrote an email already for the organizers i am in progress already

i hope finally we meet somewhere LOL
Old Jan 28, 2012, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Rob, i can tell you've never done ice racing before.

I personally have made a few sets of studded tires and many others in our club have as well. Everyone makes just 4. If you want to be on the save side, make 5. Studded tires wont wear much if any at all. After 3 years my studded tires look the exact same they did the day i made them.

PS. I have a hard time reading your posts.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Here is a good look at AMEC ice racing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikFHa...eature=related
Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Rob, i can tell you've never done ice racing before.

I personally have made a few sets of studded tires and many others in our club have as well. Everyone makes just 4. If you want to be on the save side, make 5. Studded tires wont wear much if any at all. After 3 years my studded tires look the exact same they did the day i made them.

PS. I have a hard time reading your posts.

Quick Reply: 2012 Winter Driving events.... Ice-Racing, Rally-X...