Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

3 track records in 1 week??? NASA Autobahn Recap

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
3 track records in 1 week??? NASA Autobahn Recap

EDIT!! I WAS WRONG - IT I DID NOT SET A TTU RECORD AT MIDOHIO ON THE CLUB COURSE. MY APOLOGIES TO MR. EDMONSON WHO IS THE CURRENT RECORD HOLDER. IT WAS SIMPLY A NEW PERSONAL BEST AND STILL ABOUT 6 TENTHS FROM THE RECORD.

Well, it's been a wild week for sure. Last weekend NASA hit up Mid Ohio which was the season opener for me and the One Lap Evo. I had tried to shave some weight over the winter but ended up weighing in MORE than I did at NASA Nationals last year. Hmmm. . . weird. Oh well - I guess I can still drop another 150# or add another 40whp or so. Neither will be cheap or easy

I came away from last weekend with a TTU win on both Saturday and Sunday, BUT WAS STILL A FEW TENTHS OFF THE TTU TRACK RECORD.

This weekend we travelled over to beautiful Autobahn Country Club in Joliet, Ill. (As a side note - if I ever win the lottery big - I will build a race-track country club similar to this. A brilliant idea! Screw golf - this is a country club for REAL men!) The weekend was COLD and windy, yet I somehow managed to get a sunburn. Go figure

Saturday I started off on a good set of Hoosier A6 in 285/30/18 size on some really light WedsSport TC105's in a 9.5" width. I started off well with a 1:33ish. It was cold and a green track. Next session I bumped up to somewhere around a 1:30 as I got more comfortable with the track. This is the pace I set a track record in TTR last year, but Richard in a nice Vette came back and reset it in the fall of last year. Third session I put down a 1:28.xxx which kept me in the lead in TTU ahead of a VIPER Competition Coupe by a bit, but still about a half second off the track record. For the last sesson I swapped to my "fast tires" - basically the same tire on a heavier, wider 10" WedsSport SA-70 rim. Somehow I put together a blazer of a run and came in with a 1:27.3!!!! For those of you who follow these things - that's only 0.6 seconds slower than Tarzan ran in the orange/black Craford STI a couple years back. Though I still need a bunch more power, aero, and skill to even come close to the blistering 1:23 that GST ran in their Impreza last year.

For Sunday I switched over to TTR (a higher class, technically) for a chance to win some Hoosiers if we could get enough people in the class. As it turns out I don't think we did get the minimum 5 people for contingency payout, so no free Hoosiers this weekend for me I DID however pick up another track record. I ran a 1:28.xxx today. Last year I set the same record with a 1:30.x, then Richard later beat it with a 1:29.x. So, I'm back on top for the time being. . .

Here is a video of one of my sessions. I through it together pretty quickly pretty much unedited, sorry. I think this session I ran a 1:28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fssXlGPOIU

I want to say a big thanks to:

- Keith at Pure Tuning for giving me great power while keeping my stock bottom end together
- David at DHP Composites for the awesome aero work that allows the car to corner at the speeds it does
- Chad at CBRD for the BBK line of turbos - the best turbos out there IMHO
- Martin at Girodisc for brakes that haul this monster down from crazy speed (soon to be ludicrous speed!)
- Evan and Jennifer at Exedy for the best EVO clutches in the world

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Apr 25, 2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

updated first post w/ video
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:02 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
awesome stuff-

cant wait to see how you like our o2 housing Jarrod!

cb
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Great to hear Jarrod!
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's awesome! Good stuff Jarrod I'm very happy to hear your enjoying the brakes, that car flat MOVES!
Old Apr 23, 2012, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congratulations. It was good to see you showing what a nice aero package and car setup can do. He is beating some pretty intimidating cars out there.

His fast tires seem pretty proven to me.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
sounds like you need a better bov on your car, STAT! that thing sounds all surgey and jerky. What is it?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
sounds like you need a better bov on your car, STAT! that thing sounds all surgey and jerky. What is it?
^^^ that^^^ sounds like a POS Forge, not good for road course work.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for uploading that video! It's amazing how quiet those tires are compared to street tires. This helps remind me what brake zones I was hitting last year, this is actually the first road course for the 2012 One Lap event and sets the run order for the remainder of the event so I need to hussle.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice work, Jarrod!
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats man!!!
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by griceiv

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
^^^ that^^^ sounds like a POS Forge, not good for road course work.
Relax guys, it'll be OK! Trust me! I've tried one or two BOV's over the years. Actually more like 8. This is the perfect one for a stockish turbo.

The placement of the camera amplifies the sound of the BOV doing its job. Most of that noise you can not hear from inside the car and it is completely smooth and unnoticeable as far as driveability. That is NOT true about the Tial and several Forge units I've tried over the years. With those, when you hear the surging noise, you feel it inside the car and it's bad.

BTW, I am running the APS Twin Vent. It recirculates, but also has a port that vents larger pressure changes to atmosphere. It drives and feels just like the stocker, but you hear it working more because of the bit that is VTA. It works perfectly with the stock ECU and MAF sensor. I tried using a straight VTA Forge before, and while it held boost and was great for drag racing - it was completely undriveable on the road course or autocross. . .
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Nicely done!

Dave
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Chris, yes, the Hoosiers are normally absolutely SILENT. You have to be doing some absolutely rude driving to get them to complain. Downside is - you have no warning when they are about to let go.

BTW, here is an outside the car video of Autobahn. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBwDYQ-9iiM (mind you that is about 3.5 seconds slower than I ran this year year on the same track).

Thanks everyone for the congrats and well wishes. You guys keep me going and wanting to try to break more records! Hopefully I can continue to deliver and will get to see more of you out at events this year!
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Chris, yes, the Hoosiers are normally absolutely SILENT. You have to be doing some absolutely rude driving to get them to complain. Downside is - you have no warning when they are about to let go.
There any race tires out there that stick as good or better than the A6 that does make some noise when they get close to breaking away. I want the grip of an A6, but some warning would be nice up on The Peak so as not to go flying off the road.

Dave

Quick Reply: 3 track records in 1 week??? NASA Autobahn Recap