Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

when to replace brake rotors?

Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
when to replace brake rotors?

Hey guys,

I currently run PF 2-piece rotors that have probably around 20 days on them. I have stress cracks and I know I'm getting close to the end of their serviceable life.

When are you guys replacing your rotors? what criteria are you using to gauge lifespan?
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What tires - size and compound - do you run?

That'll help us gauge how hard you push the car as everyone wears items at different rates. Personally I always error to the side of caution with things like rotors. I'll replace them at about the rates of a set of pads - maybe 2 sets of pads max. It all depends on how they look.

The spider cracks happen. They're worse when you do things like TT where you run the car hard right at the start of the session from lap #1 - and repeat that 4-5x in a day. Those quick heat-ups and cool-downs are killer (but part of racing).
If you have any of the cracks line up with a slot and/or work to the edge - replace ASAP. Once I've had them on for a few events I start checking them every session. Be careful though, last event I had a huge 2" crack and I didn't see it initially (was hiding behind the rotor) until I pulled the tire off to check something else!
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
What tires - size and compound - do you run?

That'll help us gauge how hard you push the car as everyone wears items at different rates. Personally I always error to the side of caution with things like rotors. I'll replace them at about the rates of a set of pads - maybe 2 sets of pads max. It all depends on how they look.

The spider cracks happen. They're worse when you do things like TT where you run the car hard right at the start of the session from lap #1 - and repeat that 4-5x in a day. Those quick heat-ups and cool-downs are killer (but part of racing).
If you have any of the cracks line up with a slot and/or work to the edge - replace ASAP. Once I've had them on for a few events I start checking them every session. Be careful though, last event I had a huge 2" crack and I didn't see it initially (was hiding behind the rotor) until I pulled the tire off to check something else!
275 R6's, ST43 pads, SRF fluid, ams brake ducts. car varies between 350-450 whp depending which map I'm running

i have spider cracks and i have been checking them every session as of late. the cracks are about to the point where i can catch them with my fingernail.

ill see if i can get a pic later
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

^^ Then I'd go with a similar replacement schedule I do; figure 2-3 sets of pads. If any of them get thick enough where you can catch a fingernail in them, I'd say they're done with. I always error on the side of safety with rotors... When in doubt; change them out.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^Always a good idea to always replace early and often. That being said, you can get quite a bit of track abuse out of a set of rotors if they are properly designed (and appropriately priced). I got dozens of track days out of my set of Racing Brake 2 piece rotors. I wore them down so far that the slots began to fade away. Spider cracks will inevitably happen. As mentioned earlier, they aren't a worry until the propagate to the edges or you can feel them with your nail.

Here is one of my rotors when I replaced them.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ damn those bad boys are worn/ cracked pretty good...

OP can you post pics of yours please
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:34 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, the dimples on the PF 2 pieces are the wear indicators (to the best of my knowledge). You lose those, it's time to replace.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

i haven't worn through the dimples yet

I went ahead and ordered new discs. cheapest place I found was www.rotorsandpads.com for ~430 shipped. got the rotors the next day
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Nice. Yeah, those clips that hold the rotors are a pain.. I swore I'd never order just the rotors again, I'd do the whole assembly, but the rotors have definitely dropped in price.. it used to be like $15 difference per rotor..
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Definitely time to replace those imo.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Wow those rotors are seriously cracked to ****... Good call in ordering new rotors
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

when the steering wheel shakes
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FWIW Porsche has a spec of cracks no longer than 4mm. Our shop has always gone with no cracks that connect cross drillings or no cracks that run to the edge of the rotor.
The following users liked this post:
Kidloco51 (Aug 20, 2017)
Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Change them right before this happens.

Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Woah!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: when to replace brake rotors?