Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EVO Prep for ESP

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2004, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What FMIC would qualify for ESP.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 06:29 PM

The Greddy one is a direct fit with no cutting

http://radicalride.com/Merchant2/mer...ry_Code=IC-EVO

Tom
Old Feb 4, 2004, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Can you get hold of cut slicks out there? In the UK they are used in standard classes of racing as they are still road legal. Dunlop Formula Rs are pretty good, as are most of the Avons. Not shore about the regs though!
Old Feb 4, 2004, 08:41 AM

Yea... Unfortunatly Kumho doesn't offer the new 710's in our size, but they do offer the 700's in our size.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by RIDE1
cool! I will have to go that route! I think I am going to do either the Tein Type Flex Coilovers or the Cusco Coilovers.

Tom
Why would you use Tein Flex? Do you want to compete?
Old Feb 6, 2004, 01:23 PM

Absolutly. Tein make great suspension products that are very competitive. Not to mention I am a dealer for them, and I get them at a great price.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

What I meant was that Flex coilovers are not going to be a very good solution. Tein makes some good coilovers, but the Flex is more suited for weekend warrioring.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

I thought I heard JIC was the best for competition... more specifically I think it had to do with linear as opposed to progressive spring rates.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

I have JICs and I do think they are great. I was just commenting on how bad the Flex would be compared to them. I thinkt he Tein RA would be pretty good, but no one uses them. This stuff is too expensive to be the first person to try something. I go with what is proven.
Old Feb 7, 2004, 08:11 AM

Well I am now a dealer for them, so I think I will take your advice. Can you post your settings for the coilovers for a happy medium for daily driving and auto x. I am sure a bunch of us dont trailer our cars out to the events, and knowing the settings that you have had success with would be helpful!

Tom
Old Feb 12, 2004, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

I have 8K/9K springs and my settings are softer than most would expect. I raced it last weekend and beat above average drivers in Z06s on race tires while I was on street tires. In fact, the only car that beat me was a trailered, gutted miata on huge race tires. The car is handling near perfect for me.

Last edited by instigator; Feb 12, 2004 at 05:07 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2004, 12:58 PM

I havent gotten a chance to get the new suspension yet, but I went out to a practice event today, and I made 2 changes to my car. They both made a HUGE difference in the way the car feels! First thing was a braided clutch line. Now that I have raced with it on I will have to say WOW! It makes a huge difference in your launch, up shifting, and down shifting!!! I fels some small differences on the street, but when I was out pushing the car to it's limits the clutch line really shined! This is the clutch line I use. .

The other modification I dont really know if I can say as many good things about. I added the Cusco rear strut tower brace. Now before I go into what was happening I would like to say there were a few variables that could have also caused these results (I ran 1st heat of the morning on a dirty cold track, there was heavy fog that might have left dew on the track, and I was on empty with a compleatly gutted trunk).

Ok so what I was noticing now that I have this Cusco reat upper strut bar installed was that the rear end of the car was all over the place. I felt like I was drifting the whole course. When the tire temps went ou on my Azenis sports I dropped the pressure in the rear to 34 hot and had the front at 38 hot. It helped a little, but the car has never felt so loose in the rear end before. Would any of you think it was from the trunk strut tower brace? Or was it a combination of all the different things along with it?

Tom

p.s. any reccommendations on cold and hot tire pressures for the AZENIS SPORTS? (car is not runing negative camber...it is perfectly aligned from the factory...and I don't plan on messing with it until I get coilovers)
Old Feb 14, 2004, 04:34 PM

Friends don't let friends buy EBC.

Ferodo's are about the only performance pads available right now. They are expensive, but work well.

For autocrossing, I would recommend the DS2500 compound. For full track use, the DS3000 would be the way to go.

The DS25000 fronts are about $225 retail.

Email me if you would like more info on where to get them.

Bill Kim
Old Feb 14, 2004, 04:56 PM

I agree about the brake pads. So far I've used three stock, one Porterfield R4-E -that's right- and one Porterfield R4-S -which are horrible for road courses-. Currently I'm running Ferodos, and I haven't heard many good things about EBC. So you might want to check out the DS2500s. Also, your rear pressure might be a little low. I've never autocrossed before, but have done a ridiculous amount of track days in my Evo, and it seems like you're probably a bit low in the rear. If you're serious, then check out a pyrometer, which helps with tire temps. Also, Falkens are definitely grippy tires, but I was wondering if you already burned out the A046s so far, 'cuz they're optimal for the car as streets. So far I've run two sets of those, some Toyo T1-Ses, and some Pirelli PZero Neros, and the Advans are spectacular. Just wondering how you like the Falken's 'cuz I've only driven them in FWD, never in the Evo. But judging from your description, they sound nice! Let us all know how you do!
Old Feb 14, 2004, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

I can tell you from my experience if you use the rear 3-way Cusco adjustable sway bar it will help out alot in the characteristics of the way ther car would handle as far as understeer. You will have to play with the settings but here is my results. On very tight coarses use the middle setting and on longer coarses us the first setting.

Quick Reply: EVO Prep for ESP