Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

First AutoX in the new Evo - 3rd place in race class!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2012, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First AutoX in the new Evo - 3rd place in race class!

EDIT - For anyone that cares, you can follow the daily updates and changes to the car on my instagram - @joe_ascoli

Well, as some of you know, Ryan (hamflex), sold his car recently. Well, I'm the new owner. I took the 2200 mile round trip, from NH to Chicago and back, to pick the car up a few weeks back. Ryan's an awesome dude, and hooked it up with some extra along with the car. The deal couldn't have gone smoother,

Anyways, I'm coming over from the VR4 (3000GT) world, but my brother DD's an Evo, so I've been around one for a while. The new car runs awesome, and I had only driven it 2 times (on the road) prior to this AutoX; I was still getting used to it!

Loaded up and headed to the event (50 mins away). A little advice - don't wait until morning to load the truck and trailer. I was miserable, getting up at 530am just to load the car on. I thought I was going to be late.

All unloaded and ready to tech! Party wheel!

I will upload exterior videos of each run, as well as some inside footage soon. For now, I just uploaded my quickest run.

My first run it was really cloudy and cold. I entered turn 3 and the car got a little tail happy, and I 180'd. The Michelin roadracing slicks were definitely cold as hell. Threw away that run, but got on her good to heat up the tires a little.

Second run I eased up in corner 3, but I was pretty nervous, so I wasn't pushing it hard at all. The car was still tail happy, and my braking and gas pedal moderation needed some working on...I was either WOFT or off the gas completely.

Third run I told myself I'd push it a little more and ending up looping it in corner 3 again.

Fourth run I was finally able to get a clean run and hit no cones - 35.6. A few STI's, another Evo, and an Exige were all in the mid-low 34's.

Lunch time came and went, and now the sun was out and shining. It was also getting very hot.

I watched the other classes race and when it was my time to grid, I hopped in my car early and drove around the parking lot, occassionally doing a few figure 8's to try and heat up the tires.

I'll have to check the videos, but I believe my first run was again a throwaway. My second run I had a rerun, and on the third run I was still being a b*tc, but ran my best time of a 35.33. Then I ran a sick run, but, of course, no time and I had to rerun. I knew the tires would be warm from just finishing my throwaway run, so I went harder this time.

The car stuck REALLY well, and I was able to get my best time of 33.7!! I really focused on braking before the turn, braking in a straight line, and moderating the throttle, and powering out of corners with the warm tires. This worked out well!

Pumped about that run, I launched a little harder on my last run, but I missed the 1-2 shift. I hustled through the rest of the course, with some power drifts (See vid) and managed a 33.609! This was enough to put me in 3rd for the day in the race prep class! Super stoked about this.

WATCH IN HD! And don't mind my girlfriends commentating, LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdSG1...ature=youtu.be

Overall, I'm super happy about the day, and about how the car performs. Ryan built an awesome car, and it's a pleasure to race with.

I should be attending a hillclimb, next weekend, if I can pick up some new tires. IF not, then there are two more local autox's in October, as well as a COM HPDE day, so I'll be doing those!

Joe//Filthy Evo

EDIT - 9/29/12

Okay guys, I finally got around to uploading some more videos. These aren't all of them, but the others were lame. Again, don't mind my girlfriends commentating, LOL. Watch in HD!

Here's my first run of the day. This is the first time I've raced the car and I wasn't sure what to expect. The tires were at 32psi at all four corners, and they were ice-cold. Remember, these are Michelin road racing slicks - not too much life left on them either. As you can see, I wasn't expecting them to be as slick as they were, and I spun out.

On my second run, I made sure to be more cautious on the turn that I spun out on. Well, I managed to hold it together, but as you can see, I was still hesistant. LOL, my girlfriend is one hell of a commentator.

Third run, and another spin. Later in the run, the car breaks loose into a dorifto once again, and I clip a cone. Another throwaway.

After one more throwaway pass, it was lunch time. I sat down with some of the guys that were running some quick times, and they gave me some advice. I really needed to heat up these tires. So, before our runs started, I headed out to one of the empty parking lots and did some figure 8's to try and heat the tires up even the slightest bit. After, I quickly headed to line up up front. My intentions for the first run were to just heat up the tires; luckily I managed to get a re-run, so it worked!

On my first real timed pass, I laid down a 35.XX!

This got me stoked, and I was focusing much more on braking in a straight line, braking before the turn, and moderating the throttle more. As well as, really getting on it in the straights. After that 35.XX, my goal for the day was to get into the 34's; that's where most of the "quick" cars were running in the morning sessions.

So, I got another pass which was deemed a re-run. I was pissed because that run felt so good. So, I was determined to better it! And that I did!! I was so shocked to see my time on the time-clock say 33.7XX!

After that, I got another pass deemed a re-run and then I laid down my 33.609 (vid I posted in the OP).

Well, after that I went back into the pits, but a few people had told me about fun-runs. So, I hopped back in the Evo, and headed back into the lanes. For this run, I really just wanted to push the car and see how well I could control the POWAR -slides. It was definitely fun.

I have another race on October 7th; and apparently it's going to be on a much larger, faster course. I also have 3 more races after that in October and 1 or 2 in November.

Hopefully I will have the funds to attend a HPDE/Time Trial day on October 16th as that is really what I want to do with the car. Time attack being the final goal.

Thanks for viewing! Enjoy!

Last edited by FilthyEvo; Sep 28, 2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You were just "so fast through those things."

Looked good.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
congrtas
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Always a blessing having the wife/girlfriend cheer you on.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 06evors
True story! I wouldn't get to do what I do if this wasn't the case for me.

Congrats on the new car, get that thing on a road course and let it stretch it's legs!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ReaperX
You were just "so fast through those things."

Looked good.
LOL, wait til you hear some of the other videos she took. They definitely had me laughing when I watched them.

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
congrtas
Thanks! I might be doing a hillclimb next weekend; a little nervous, but super anxious!

Originally Posted by 06evors
Yeah, I couldn't have been happier to have her there with me. She was SUCH a big help, and saw certain lines on the track that I didn't even notice - which ended up helping me improve me times drastically.

Next time she'll be autocrossing her Nissan Versa, LOL. I was stoked to see a chick out there driving her Prius, but she improved so much over the course of the day!

Originally Posted by mouseIX
True story! I wouldn't get to do what I do if this wasn't the case for me.

Congrats on the new car, get that thing on a road course and let it stretch it's legs!
Thanks! I'm definitely going to be doing a track day next month. I think I'm going to keep it local for the end of the year, as work is a little slower than I'd like, and I need new tires on my truck.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Added in-car footage to first post.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Managed to source some excellent condition Hoosier A6's for cheap, so I'll be running those at the last few Autocrosses. Would love to lay the smack down on the SM STi that got FTD.

Still undecided on what to do for a road racing tire; although, I may not even get a track day in before the end of this year.

Are the A6's good for HPDE's? Or will they get too greasy after a 20 minute session?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn that car is sick. Congrats!
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:20 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Nicely done. Love your track EVO for sure & great job out there in the AX!!!

Hey, If you can, we need you to add your car to the RS thread please

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ry-thread.html

Thanks, Joe
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PatricksEvilEvo
Damn that car is sick. Congrats!
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Nicely done. Love your track EVO for sure & great job out there in the AX!!!

Hey, If you can, we need you to add your car to the RS thread please

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ry-thread.html

Thanks, Joe
Thanks guys!

I added a pic to the RS thread.

For anyone that cares, you can follow the daily updates and changes to the car on my instagram - @joe_ascoli

Last edited by FilthyEvo; Sep 13, 2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FilthyEvo
Managed to source some excellent condition Hoosier A6's for cheap, so I'll be running those at the last few Autocrosses. Would love to lay the smack down on the SM STi that got FTD.

Still undecided on what to do for a road racing tire; although, I may not even get a track day in before the end of this year.

Are the A6's good for HPDE's? Or will they get too greasy after a 20 minute session?
Congrats on the new car, it looks great. Do you have a link to the build thread or mods? I love the digital camo vinyl.

Hoosier A6s are autocross tires or short session Time Attack (3-5 laps) and will get insanely greasy during an HPDE session. If you want Hoosiers for that, you want R6s. For HPDE though I normally just run on NT05 street tires.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blackenedwings
Congrats on the new car, it looks great. Do you have a link to the build thread or mods? I love the digital camo vinyl.

Hoosier A6s are autocross tires or short session Time Attack (3-5 laps) and will get insanely greasy during an HPDE session. If you want Hoosiers for that, you want R6s. For HPDE though I normally just run on NT05 street tires.
Thanks man! It's definitely a fun car! I'll be making some changes in the near future. Mostly with the vinyl decals and color scheme - just to make it "my own". Already pulled off the old sponsor decals off and will be replacing them with the new team decals and a couple temp sponsor logos.

I picked up some basically new A6's for dirt cheap, just to finish out the Autocross season on. I'm not sure if I will get around to any HPDE's this season, but I will be picking up another set of wheels which I'll toss some R6's on.

Here's the mod list - it's kind of half-assed and Ryan forgot to list a bunch of mods; such as the AMS wet-sump 7qt oil pan and a few other misc. things.

http://www.teamwinracing.com/p/cars.html

Appreciate the input! I've been following your build thread; love your car!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FilthyEvo
Thanks man! It's definitely a fun car! I'll be making some changes in the near future. Mostly with the vinyl decals and color scheme - just to make it "my own". Already pulled off the old sponsor decals off and will be replacing them with the new team decals and a couple temp sponsor logos.

I picked up some basically new A6's for dirt cheap, just to finish out the Autocross season on. I'm not sure if I will get around to any HPDE's this season, but I will be picking up another set of wheels which I'll toss some R6's on.

Here's the mod list - it's kind of half-assed and Ryan forgot to list a bunch of mods; such as the AMS wet-sump 7qt oil pan and a few other misc. things.

http://www.teamwinracing.com/p/cars.html

Appreciate the input! I've been following your build thread; love your car!
Awesome man, good mods, the car looks very solid. Thanks for following my car too!

Where are you going to be running the car for HPDE?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blackenedwings
Awesome man, good mods, the car looks very solid. Thanks for following my car too!

Where are you going to be running the car for HPDE?
Thanks man! The car feels solid. Coming from a VR4, this thing feels like a go-kart.

No problem! You need more updates!

I wanted to run at NJMP before the season ended, but I don't think that's going to happen - because of funds.

But, there is a COM HPDE day at NHMS on October 14th that I'm debating on doing. I still need to pick up a passenger seat, for an instructor. Looking for a used Sparco, but can't seem to find any for cheap.

If I don't find a seat, I'm just going to run at my local autocross on the 14th instead. I just ordered up those A6's, so I may as well put them to good use.

Quick Reply: First AutoX in the new Evo - 3rd place in race class!