Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Racing Seats: Where to buy?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Racing Seats: Where to buy?

Wanting to get some decent racing seats for street/track evo. Planning 5-6 point harnesses. Sparco Fighter or anything similar. Don't know anything about Bride Seats. Avoiding high dollar carbon seats. Prefer they meet current sanctioned safety inspection....but not mandatory. Would buy clean, new out of date models for DE days etc.... Hans compatible preferred also.

Is there a favorite place for EVOm members?

Thanks.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Find a local shop and sit in them. That's the only way, IMHO. If you're in the DC area, go to OG Racing.

Out of curiosity what's the difference between the Fighter and the Evo? They look really similar.

The Brides I've sat in I have liked, but they are not the best bang for buck at all.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had no problem with Safe Drives.

http://www.safedrives.com/
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:36 PM
Former Sponsor

We only sell recaro. The profi spg seats are very comfortable, mount easily, are fia certified, and best of all, super safe as proven by us

The spg Hans is more expensive, but don't half *** safety to save a buck.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

I bought my Recaro Hans from Deftmotion.com. The best price i could find shipping included. Don't skimp on safety.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

You guys are great! Opened up a whole new list of seats I have not considered. Thanks for sharing tips, cost, and places to look.

KevinD, I hope to be heading to your place very soon for a tune. You sent me an email (execceo@gmail.com). I know I will be sitting and trying out your seats. Even saw your video testing them out.

Safety first.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

A lot of very good seats are out there. You can't go wrong with Recaro, and they are owned by a good US company that has very strong ties to the automotive world. I do suggest staying away from the bottom mount seats like the Sparco fighter tho.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
speaking of seats...anybody in here have a 36-38 inch waist? i really want a recaro, but not sure ill fit.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
speaking of seats...anybody in here have a 36-38 inch waist? i really want a recaro, but not sure ill fit.

Sparco EVO2 Plus! A little larger in the seat and mid section and the harness holes and shoulder bolsters are a little taller.

I was like Goldilocks for a year jumping in and out of seats, going to vendor shops etc.
Finally narrowed it to Sparco EVO 2 Plus and Recaro Profi xl.

Point is you need to try before you buy.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:55 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
Look into the Cobra Suzuka GT. Its a really nice seat. Also, if James has his Sparco Evo 3 in by CTD, you should try that. He's a big dude.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

I'm a 38" waist too. Beer belly build. Not wide in the hips.

Sparco Evo 2 plus - keep seeing different versions of this seat size????
Sparco Evo 3 - looks huge
Recaro Profi XL - looks good

Nowhere here has seats to try?

Do I sit down on floor and mark my hip width at widest point? As a street/track car, I'm not wanting to stop-slip-squeeze into seat, but comfy snug.

Yah, that made sense.....
Old Feb 2, 2013, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by chu
Look into the Cobra Suzuka GT. Its a really nice seat. Also, if James has his Sparco Evo 3 in by CTD, you should try that. He's a big dude.
yeah my plan was to ask around at CTD. i had a buddy club wide in a previous car, nice seat, but its not certified.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chu
I have never seen an evo 3 seat fit in our cars unless it's way back or not even close to center. Please post pics if he gets it to work.

The sparco pro adv would also be a good seat for some around the 36" waist. It's quite a bit wider then a standard sparco evo seat.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

My research so far has me at:

Status Ring GT-X
Recaro Profi XL
OMP WRC

There are some others. Have yet to find the Suzuka GT. Everything running $2500 when adding brackets, harnesses, sliders, and belts w/cam locks. (For a pair). This has priced me out of the market for now, but maybe in a few months.

Last edited by Driv200; Feb 2, 2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Add
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:28 PM
Former Sponsor

We run the standard profi spg in Todd's TTB evo 8. Todd is on the slimmer scale and shorter then most of our other racers. Josh S, josh D, and Jim F all use the profi xl. Josh S had his mounted on the buddy club sliders for his evo x. Josh D and Jim f have theirs mounted on buddy club sliders for the evo 8/9. Josh S is pretty tall and 200-220lbs I would guess. He loved the seat. I have a 33" waist and the profi spg is very tight for me. I'm also 6'1", 175. I can fit in it, and can race in it, but if I wanted to be a little more comfortable I would use the xl with a little extra hip padding.

Bride seats are for children or small Asians.

The sparco seat feels very vertical on the back and a PiTA to install.

Quick Reply: Racing Seats: Where to buy?