Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EVODYNAMICS Ultimate Suspension Data Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2014, 02:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got some more good track data I will share here along with a bunch of thoughts I've had pertaining to the discussion. Working hard to get some customers cars out the door first.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just curious. Spent most of my professional life as a controls engineer and the linear pot is a relic I haven't seen used in modern equipment in more than 20 years. So why is it still used in this application? Cost? Simplicity? Not knocking this thread, this will be great info.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by JDavenport
Just curious. Spent most of my professional life as a controls engineer and the linear pot is a relic I haven't seen used in modern equipment in more than 20 years. So why is it still used in this application? Cost? Simplicity? Not knocking this thread, this will be great info.
I'd guess cost and size.

What are the other alternatives for linear position sensing in an application like this? The magnetostrictive sensors look awesome, but they also look big and expensive.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Construct
I'd guess cost and size.

What are the other alternatives for linear position sensing in an application like this? The magnetostrictive sensors look awesome, but they also look big and expensive.
a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_variable_differential_transformer would be the industry standard. They're just not as cheap as linear pots.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
a LVDT would be the industry standard. They're just not as cheap as linear pots.
Yeah, LVDT is the standard for a great deal of linear sensing in industry. There are some folks also making linear encoders now as well (incremental output). And I know Keyence has been bringing out all kinds of laser displacement sensors with 300khz+ response and resolutions well under 1 um (micrometer).

Just haven't seen linear pots used in a long time. But they are cheap, and easy to come by.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
You could also go to a rotary pot mounted on the chassis and drive it from a link on the arm.

Linear encoders are fairly expensive. Rotary encoders on the other hand are much more common and can have very high resolution. Considering you would have to use only 1/3 or so of the range, that high resolution would be needed. You would also need a curve fit equation to deal with the nonlinearity of the linkage. Pretty straight forward though.

Digital would be the way to go due to the noise environment, not sure how many automotive DAQs will deal with digital data though? This is where the PLC/FPGA type control of the high end systems comes into play...

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Mar 6, 2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have very little experience when it comes to controls, but would it be possible to design a system using 3 axis accelerometers to measure such things? By placing acceleromters at different points, you may even be able to derive position changes of certain suspension components, deflection of arms, hardpoints, strut towers, all while being overlayed on steering angle and g force. Its a much more complicated approach, but boy would it be comprehensive. Of course, i agree that using a pot to develop a baseline and starting point for damping would be the first step.

In my SAE days, we didn't touch the paper or computer unless we had tire data first. Then we decided on natural frequency 2nd, chose a roll gradient 3rd, and worked backward from there on everything else. Moral of the story, tire data is king and the suspension should be designed around it instead of being considered an afterthought as is common with most people who mod production cars.

Last edited by hispanicpanic; Mar 27, 2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 03:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by hispanicpanic
I have very little experience when it comes to controls, but would it be possible to design a system using 3 axis accelerometers to measure such things? By placing acceleromters at different points, you may even be able to derive position changes of certain suspension components, deflection of arms, hardpoints, strut towers, all while being overlayed on steering angle and g force. Its a much more complicated approach, but boy would it be comprehensive. Of course, i agree that using a pot to develop a baseline and starting point for damping would be the first step.
You couldn't really pull absolute positioning data from such a system, but it would be feasible to pull shock rough velocity out of such an arrangement. I'm not sure how accurate or precise it would be, though. The unsprung mass in particular can see some very high accelerations, so you'd need to have enough accelerometer dynamic range to handle the massive bump accelerations while still being able to measure the smaller relative difference between the top and bottom of your strut, for example. You would absolutely have to compensate for drift and integration error by forcing the average shock velocity to zero over time, though, which is also going to color your measurements somewhat.

Measuring relative deflection of hard points isn't going to happen with accelerometers. The deflections you'd see would be absolutely tiny relative to all of the other accelerations experienced from driving around. And even if you did have the precision to measure that, your measurements would still be swamped by the vibrations running through the car from the motor, etc.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

You couldn't really pull absolute positioning data from such a system, but it would be feasible to pull shock rough velocity out of such an arrangement. I'm not sure how accurate or precise it would be, though. The unsprung mass in particular can see some very high accelerations, so you'd need to have enough accelerometer dynamic range to handle the massive bump accelerations while still being able to measure the smaller relative difference between the top and bottom of your strut, for example. You would absolutely have to compensate for drift and integration error by forcing the average shock velocity to zero over time, though, which is also going to color your measurements somewhat.

Measuring relative deflection of hard points isn't going to happen with accelerometers. The deflections you'd see would be absolutely tiny relative to all of the other accelerations experienced from driving around. And even if you did have the precision to measure that, your measurements would still be swamped by the vibrations running through the car from the motor, etc.
Good point. my experience with accelerometers is very limited, but it was just a thought. The main thing i was hoping for was being able to see suspension geometry changes under load including natural motion & bushing compliance and being able to develop curves to have a better idea what parameters to change to maximize grip.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Also, if you could get camber curves for the X, i would love you forever.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hispanicpanic

In my SAE days, we didn't touch the paper or computer unless we had tire data first. Then we decided on natural frequency 2nd, chose a roll gradient 3rd, and worked backward from there on everything else. Moral of the story, tire data is king and the suspension should be designed around it instead of being considered an afterthought as is common with most people who mod production cars.

Physics says you should be able to work out velocity and position from an accelerometer data stream. However, as construct says, there is so much going on thinking through the math and calculations required makes my head hurt. Right off the bat, separating vibrations, resonances, tire noise, etc, etc from the actual movement would be near impossible.

It's way easier ,mathematically to start with real time positional data and derive velocity and acceleration from that.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Just to sub to the thread! Great info guys!

Fedja
Old May 9, 2014, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I didn't see anywhere in this thread a mention of what tires you are running with these coilovers...

Care to share that piece of information?
Old May 10, 2014, 11:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nollij
I didn't see anywhere in this thread a mention of what tires you are running with these coilovers...

Care to share that piece of information?

the car runs hoosier A6s in 275 35 18 on the track usually. although we also have a set of R888 in the same size mounted as well (usually used for practice events and we used them in the endurance we just did)
Old Feb 3, 2018, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bumping this thread up from the grave. I'm interested in putting linear shock pots on my Evo so I may scientifically tune the damper settings, as well as measure aerodynamic forces.

1. Any more data sets from different data settings?
2. Photos of shock pot mounts (especially fronts)?